melkor

Help - can't install operating system

Hi Guys,

Just finished my new PC build, pretty confident that everything is connected up as it should be. Parts:

Gigabyte X79S-UP5-wifi motherboard

Intel Core i7 3820 CPU

Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R DDR3 Red

Samsung 840 pro 256GB SSD (sata 3)

Samsung 840 120GB SSD (sata 3)

WD 3TB 'green' SATA 2 drive

Lian Li PC-A71F case

Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W PSU

ODDs are a Pioneer Blu ray burner BDR-205 from memory) and a cheapie Samsung DVD burner.

edit: I have a Creative Audigy X-treme pci soundcard in the new mb (cannibalised from my old PC) and I'm using a single Gigabyte Nvidia GT460 video card, also taken from my old PC.

Both SSDs are connected to Sata 3 connectors on the mb. The ODDs and WD 3TB drive ar connected to SATA2 on the mb.

RAM is seated firmly. CPU/FAN are AOK and seated properly.

Now onto the problems. System boots up OK. I was using an old PS/2 keyboard and couldn't enter the bios, despite several reboot attempts. Tried tapping as well, no luck. Swapped the keyboard for a USB keyboard and could get into bios. All drives are detected, as is RAM. Everything looks OK to my eyes. Can't say that I'm a fan of the new style bios screens, prefer to k.i.s.s.

I first tried Windows XP in the blu ray drive - the disc boots OK, does all the driver loading, goes to start Windows install and BSODs. Tried several times. I then tried to install Debian 'etch' (yeah, I know it's old, haven't bothered to download Debian 6 yet). Popped the Debian install DVD into the Pioneer drive, it does some detection and comes up with "no common drive detected". A bit of googling shows that this was a bug with some ODDs and Etch. I've never seen it before to be honest! In fact, I installed Etch on my old PC which I'm using now, using the very same Pioneer optical drive.

Next step was to try setting the 2nd ODD (Samsung) as the main ODD boot drive and installing XP from that. Same BSOD. Tried Debian, same error as with the attempted install of Debian on the pioneer blue ray drive.

My plan was:

Samsung 840 120GB drive - Windows XP and Debian

Samsung 840 pro 256gb drive Windows 7 x64 ultimate

WD 3tb drive - data drive for my home folder for Windows 7

Nothing fancy. I've built like 6 systems since '97 and NEVER had so many problems as with this new system and I'm starting to become incredibly frustrated with it all. I've never had such errors before, and never had a failure installing an o/s of any choice (from Debian to freeBSD to Solaris to different Windows versions).

I'm currently running memtest86+ from the Samsung drive and will let that run overnight, as some Googling after I'd already bought the RAM showed that there were issues with reliability with this particular ram stick - don't believe me, google it. I'll let this memtest run overnight.

Still to try (tomorrow night now, giving what the current time is) - reset the CMOS, and check the current bios version and update it if necessary. I cannot see how even an older bios would have so many issues.

That the bios is seeing all of the drives makes me confident that they're both connected up correctly from a data and power point of view. That I can boot from both XP and Debian CDs from both ODDs makes me also believe that they are connected up correctly.

I will try installing Windows 7 on the Samsung 256GB drive tomorrow night just to see what it does - I expect it will error too.

I'm at a loss to what's wrong and why I'm having these issues. Any suggestions or help appreciated.

edit: the motherboard posts OK.

Dave

Edited by melkor

Seeing as all the components are brand new and modern i would have started with at least Windows 7 or Debian 6.

I guess it will be easier to troubleshoot when you install Windows 7. Get back to us when you do.

Also try installing with just a single drive. I.e unplug everything you don't need while you're installing the OS (Multiple HDDs, CD-rom etc..).

I wonder if the issues are because XP won't see the SSD (I haven't tried the F6 option to load raid drivers). I feel a bit lost here, cos this is the first PC I've ever built with a floppy drive lol. I've never used a usb stick to load drivers before and I hate new things. Perhaps I might try that. Also, I should be able to just load the Samsung disc in the other ODD and F6 during XP install and select the other ODD, correct? I'm not sure if USB devices are turned on in the bios by default or not.

I'm also wondering if that's why Etch is failing. Might grab a Debian 6 netinstall disc tomorrow night and test that.

Dave

Seeing as all the components are brand new and modern i would have started with at least Windows 7 or Debian 6.

I guess it will be easier to troubleshoot when you install Windows 7. Get back to us when you do.

Also try installing with just a single drive. I.e unplug everything you don't need while you're installing the OS (Multiple HDDs, CD-rom etc..).

Yeah, I can do that as well, just a p.i.t.a, reminds me of mac os9 and extensions troubleshooting.

Dave

Just another update, RAM is failing on memtest86+ - exactly the same part of the test (test #6 inversion) as what tonnes of other people are reporting. I really believe that Corsair has a huge bunch of faulty ram on their hands. Will load XMP profile tomorrow and re-test and see if the errors come up, as well as do some of the troubleshooting that Corsair staff have mentioned on their forums to others. I expect it will make absolutely no difference. I've seen at least 2 threads on Corsair's forums, a bunch of negative reviews on Amazon, and a few on newegg's site. I firmly believe that Corsair should be recalling this RAM. I'll be returning it to Umart as faulty and unfit for purposes and seeing what other RAM is available (I want a 4 x 8GB kit, or at least if not in kit form, then the equivalent).

Dave

Have had similar issues in the past, one thing to try is unplugging all the drives other than the one you are installing the OS to and see how that goes. Once the OS is up and running you can replug the other drives.

Not allowing that the ram seems to be the issue why the fuck are you installing Xp on that PC?

If you really need XP for some specific programme then FFS install it in a VM under 7 or 8

Not allowing that the ram seems to be the issue why the fuck are you installing Xp on that PC?

If you really need XP for some specific programme then FFS install it in a VM under 7 or 8

Aye my money is on a faulty stick of ram, have seen that many times. I just did this on my sons computer, and of course it was the last stick of 4 I tested lol. Pull out the ram and test one stick at a time. And as ali said XP ! Really ?

I have some legacy stuff that I would prefer to run natively inside XP, and not in a VM. And there's nothing wrong with XP. I have a valid licence, I might as well use it!

Yeah, I'll re-test memory with xmp enabled in bios and timing changed to what Corsair recommends in their troubleshooting. I'm pretty sure that Corsair has a major problem with this RAM module to be honest. Too many people are having issues. Disappointing that Corsair won't admit it and do a recall, but I guess big companies don't like to do that (makes them look bad).

I'll also check the mb firmware and update that (probably the first thing to try). How long should it take memtest86+ to check 32GB ram? I started it at 11pm last night and it was still going this morning at 7.45am and not even half way through (unless it loops - but I couldn't see anywhere where it said loop # etc).

I'll then try installing Windows 7 to the Samsung 256gb drive and see what that does and if it errors.

I've got a growing feeling that it's a number of things - probably SSD not being seen by XP and Debian Etch, and also a RAM issue, all of them rearing their ugly heads. To be honest, it's why I hate proprietary software - Microsoft says it's supporting XP to April 8, 2014 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/end-support-help), but doesn't provide updates to support newer hardware. But the software industry has a perpetual get out of jail free card when it comes to consumer rights it seems.

Dave

I have some legacy stuff that I would prefer to run natively inside XP, and not in a VM. And there's nothing wrong with XP. I have a valid licence, I might as well use it!

Yeah, I'll re-test memory with xmp enabled in bios and timing changed to what Corsair recommends in their troubleshooting. I'm pretty sure that Corsair has a major problem with this RAM module to be honest. Too many people are having issues. Disappointing that Corsair won't admit it and do a recall, but I guess big companies don't like to do that (makes them look bad).

I'll also check the mb firmware and update that (probably the first thing to try). How long should it take memtest86+ to check 32GB ram? I started it at 11pm last night and it was still going this morning at 7.45am and not even half way through (unless it loops - but I couldn't see anywhere where it said loop # etc).

I'll then try installing Windows 7 to the Samsung 256gb drive and see what that does and if it errors.

I've got a growing feeling that it's a number of things - probably SSD not being seen by XP and Debian Etch, and also a RAM issue, all of them rearing their ugly heads. To be honest, it's why I hate proprietary software - Microsoft says it's supporting XP to April 8, 2014 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/end-support-help), but doesn't provide updates to support newer hardware. But the software industry has a perpetual get out of jail free card when it comes to consumer rights it seems.

Dave

Run the test for one stick at a time, and just about half way through the test for each stick should do it. If you do one stick at a time to take it about half way wont take long and I have found its enough to pick up a faulty stick.

mmmm, am I doing something wrong? I started it last night as I said, it wasn't even 50% through the test (that's after 8 hours of it running). Unless it finished and was looping multiple times on me?

Anyway, tonight, I get home, we had a blackout at around 11am, which has killed the test results. I'm just about to try a Debian 6 net install CD to see what happens. And then will pop in the memtest CD again and run it again.

Dave

Microsoft says it's supporting XP to April 8, 2014 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/end-support-help), but doesn't provide updates to support newer hardware. But the software industry has a perpetual get out of jail free card when it comes to consumer rights it seems.

OK,fist of all the support is for SECURITY UPDATES, not hardware updates.

The OS was released 11 YEARS ago, I honestly feel you got a pretty good deal.

The fact that you are installing an OS that will only see less than 4GB of the 32GB you installed is a strange decision to say the least...

Also why should they recall the RAM, they probably sold 10's of thousands of sticks that didn't have problems?

If you think the RAM you have is faulty, take all but one stick out an run a Memtest again, put another stick in and run the test again etc until it fails.

Once you sort out if the RAM is faulty you should be able to install XP, if it still has problems you may want to disable AHCI in the BIOS.

Updates are updates. Proprietary software companies love doing as little as they can, for as much money as they can. Sorry, I'm not a fan of proprietary software and never will be.

memory test seems quicker this time - it's already at 93% this morning - yesterday it was like at 47% in the same time period, what gives? Just under 800 errors so far, over the 32GB. All on test 6, inversion (32 bit). And I highly doubt Corsair have sold 10s of thousands of these sticks. Most people probably never run memtest on the units, so probably don't know there's problems. The memory is sold as a kit, so I doubt that I can return just one stick (if it's problematic). Anyway, I'd rather return it and get different ram to be honest. No errors should occur during memtest, let alone 800 odd. Interestingly, yesterday, they were errors on test 6, today they are errors on test 8. Doesn't breed confidence. I'll let the ram continue running for a 2nd pass today whilst I'm at work, and then pull it out and return it to Umart tomorrow. We'll see if they honour returns. If not, onto fair trading.

Debian Squeeze netinstall failed - well, it hung, installing procps (installing base system). Couldn't see any errors in dmesg, it just hung. Frustrating. There's nothing like spending 2k on parts and getting a lemon. I've never had such a p.o.s in all my years. But, experience has taught me that QC has all but disappeared in modern products. When you keep cutting costs, something has to give. I'll have a mate come around to check my build, just to make sure that I haven't done anything idiotic or missed something. I don't have time this morning to muck with xpm and ram timings, might do that tonight actually in hindsight. Still, memory shouldn't be failing, either in normal mode or xpm.

I didn't bother attempting to install Windows 7 last night - if Debian Squeeze is freezing, then there's definitely problems and Windows has no hope in hell of installing imho.

This all sums up 2013 so far for me...been a shit start to the year and just seems to be getting worse :/ (main PC is failing after 6 years with intermittent issues, macbook pro dead...). *sigh*

Dave

I have some legacy stuff that I would prefer to run natively inside XP, and not in a VM.

Why? I happily run several applications in a VM (VMWare Player) with no issues, in fact it is far far better IMO than fucking around with a dual boot system where I have to bloody well reboot the PC to access one programme. With the VM I can have both OSs running simultaneously and flick between them with the click of a mouse. FFS I can even copy and paste between the two OSs.

Do that with a dual boot. VMware player even has VGA hardware acceleration so it can happily play older games if you want to.

And there's nothing wrong with XP. I have a valid licence, I might as well use it!

Well obviously there is because it won't install FFS.

It is outdated and can't make proper use of the new hardware, get over it and move on FFS.

Seriously? XP is the most used operating system in the world. It's numbers vastly outweigh Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 combined. It's outdated? It's outdated because Microsoft fails to support their software, deliberately, to make sure that their newer software sells. It's a typical tactic of proprietary software.

Gee could some of you guys have a more condescending tone? No wonder computer people aren't people people.

Dave

Seriously? XP is the most used operating system in the world. It's numbers vastly outweigh Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 combined. It's outdated? It's outdated because Microsoft fails to support their software, deliberately, to make sure that their newer software sells. It's a typical tactic of proprietary software.

Gee could some of you guys have a more condescending tone? No wonder computer people aren't people people.

Dave

I think the tone is due to the fact that you are running 32Gb of ram with a 32bit OS.... unless it's XP-64?

XP is outdated because many of the concepts that it was built upon (NT design) are outdated.

I don't expect any operating system to be supported forever, proprietary or not, idea's change... concepts that are currently accepted may/will be considered shortsighted and very possibly stupid in 10 years time.

You have a common issue with the drives, give director's advice a go... that usually solves it.

and please for god's sake don't use XP anymore ...

Nah, not running XP 64 bit, that was a pretty horrid attempt by Microsoft (very poor driver support). Another half assed effort by Microsoft!

Yes, the new system has 32gb of ram. Yes, XP is 32 bit. And yes, it'll only see 4gb or thereabouts. It doesn't mean you can't run XP on such a system, it just means you won't see the full benefit of the underlying hardware. XP would only be a fall back system, not intended for daily usage. My reasoning: experience has taught me that it's better to have a physical o/s to boot into than a vm. What happens if Windows 7 dies? That vm on windows 7 is as useless as tits on a bull to me. Don't they teach kids redundancy these days? Sorry for the snide remark, but it ires me that people are quick to jump to conclusion and then ram their discrimination's down my throat. I have my reasons for wanting to run XP. There's no reason why it shouldn't work (driver issues aside of course). I mean, the speed limit on most roads is 60kph, but it doesn't mean I must do 60kph! Rules aren't set in concrete.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm not particularly au fait with the latest and greatest technologies, hence my post. I'm not dumb when it comes to computers either, just a bit rusty with the newer stuff and wanted to bounce some ideas compared to what I was thinking.

I'll post my findings down the track - due to a busy life, I can't necessarily drop everything to test the new PC non stop and provide fast answers. I'll test over the coming days (will re-test ram with xmp and timing settings as per Corsair, then test each module singularly, then isolate the hard drives/optical discs). Given the errors in the ram though, I won't be keeping it.

Dave

Bad memory happens, to even the best brands. Just have the offending stick or sticks replaced under warranty.

My reasoning: experience has taught me that it's better to have a physical o/s to boot into than a vm. What happens if Windows 7 dies? That vm on windows 7 is as useless as tits on a bull to me. Don't they teach kids redundancy these days? Sorry for the snide remark, but it ires me that people are quick to jump to conclusion and then ram their discrimination's down my throat. I have my reasons for wanting to run XP. There's no reason why it shouldn't work (driver issues aside of course).

So i assume that you are going to be putting the XP installation onto a separate mechanical disk?

There is no discrimination here, merely people questioning why you would choose to run a redundant OS that will in effect hold back the potential of your machine when other options are available.

I mean, the speed limit on most roads is 60kph, but it doesn't mean I must do 60kph! Rules aren't set in concrete.

Yes it does, the speed limit is not open to interpretation to the maximum speed you can go.

If we are going to speak in metaphorical terms, people were questioning your choice of driving on the autobahn in a steam roller....

yeah, XP on the 120gb SSD alongside Debian Squeeze. I typically run VMs of Debian, Solaris and freeBSD from my main Windows install anyway. XP/Debian on their own physical disk are just redundancies. For a rainy day so to speak. I'm not worried about performance issues on them, that's not their raison d'etre. :-)

re: speed limit, you are not legally required to do 60kph in a 60kph zone. It's drive according to the conditions. Yes, if you do 10kph in a 60kph zone, police can arrest you for being a nuisance on the roads (and rightly so I might add). But doing 50 in a 60 zone in pouring rain with limited visibility won't get you into trouble either ;-)

Yeah, I'll rma the ram, but want to do more testing first to provide an accurate fault to the reseller.

Dave

re: speed limit, you are not legally required to do 60kph in a 60kph zone. It's drive according to the conditions. Yes, if you do 10kph in a 60kph zone, police can arrest you for being a nuisance on the roads (and rightly so I might add). But doing 50 in a 60 zone in pouring rain with limited visibility won't get you into trouble either ;-)

interpretation to the maximum speed you can go.

Lucky i was referring to the maximum speed not minimum :)

I don't even know you are fucking around with memtest when you are only going to see any real world benefit from one stick of ram anyway.

Ok, you may argue about dual/tri channel matching, but that's not what is going to be holding this build back.

I'd go back to IDE sata, and forget about AHCI for now.

In regards to supporting software, surely you don't complain that you can't buy a brand new Pentium 4 do you ?

Everything has a life cycle. Windows Vista, 7, and now 8 all add new features that cannot be incorporated into Windows XP. I'm also sure you don't complain when Linux does kernel updates to support new features.

Which begs the question, why not a newer version of Debian ?

3rd result from a google search of 'debian etch ahci support '

http://gnubyexample.blogspot.com.au/2011/0...-ide-which.html

Specifically " The whole point of having a 'IDE mode' for SATA controllers was to help then current software ( Red Hat 5 & Windows XP ) cope with the change in disk standards.

The change to a newer version of Windows from Windows XP is not to be taken lightly for organisations with > 50 employees, which is why some IT departments continue to support that stable release.

Moving versions of Debian (Etch -> Lenny -> Squeeze) is much less of an issue, which is why most Debian installs were migrated from Etch long ago.

Move on mate, it'll make your life so much easier.

Edited by Devilsmurf

So how would you like MS to make money?

They either stop supporting old software or you start paying a subscription.

Which do you prefer?

I find it funny how you say pc component quality has dropped, forgotten the early 2000's already?

They only big failure I can remember recently were those dodgy Nvidia chipsets, "bumpgate"...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic:

One error in memtest is too many.

Take them back and get them swapped, this will probably solve the issues you are having.

interpretation to the maximum speed you can go.

Lucky i was referring to the maximum speed not minimum :)

:-)

Dave

So how would you like MS to make money?

They either stop supporting old software or you start paying a subscription.

Which do you prefer?

I find it funny how you say pc component quality has dropped, forgotten the early 2000's already?

They only big failure I can remember recently were those dodgy Nvidia chipsets, "bumpgate"...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic:

One error in memtest is too many.

Take them back and get them swapped, this will probably solve the issues you are having.

I don't really give a rats ass about Microsoft. Nor any other big business for that matter.

As to hardware issues, well, all I can say, from my personal experience in 15 years of building my own computers, I've never had so many issues with a new PC. Every single other PC I've built has worked out of the box after the hardware install has been finished. Experience has also taught me that QC in general (not just in computers) is very poor these days. QC is generally the first thing that manufacturers cut when trying to increase profits from product pricing drops. Just my personal experience. ymmv.

Dave

I don't even know you are fucking around with memtest when you are only going to see any real world benefit from one stick of ram anyway.

Ok, you may argue about dual/tri channel matching, but that's not what is going to be holding this build back.

I'd go back to IDE sata, and forget about AHCI for now.

In regards to supporting software, surely you don't complain that you can't buy a brand new Pentium 4 do you ?

Everything has a life cycle. Windows Vista, 7, and now 8 all add new features that cannot be incorporated into Windows XP. I'm also sure you don't complain when Linux does kernel updates to support new features.

Which begs the question, why not a newer version of Debian ?

3rd result from a google search of 'debian etch ahci support '

http://gnubyexample.blogspot.com.au/2011/0...-ide-which.html

Specifically " The whole point of having a 'IDE mode' for SATA controllers was to help then current software ( Red Hat 5 & Windows XP ) cope with the change in disk standards.

The change to a newer version of Windows from Windows XP is not to be taken lightly for organisations with > 50 employees, which is why some IT departments continue to support that stable release.

Moving versions of Debian (Etch -> Lenny -> Squeeze) is much less of an issue, which is why most Debian installs were migrated from Etch long ago.

Move on mate, it'll make your life so much easier.

I'm a photographer - Photoshop CS6 will sure like lots of ram! Especially with DSLRs with large image sizes. I see quite a number of other members on these forums going for 32 or even 64gb of ram! I guess we're all wrong ;-)

Yes, I could set the motherboard bios to ide sata and try XP again, or I could leave it at ahci and load the ahci drivers for the motherboard via F6 at Windows install. I'll probably go the latter.

As to the RAM, there shouldn't be ANY errors with the ram. Lots of places tell you this and it's quite elementary.

it wouldn't be difficult for Microsoft to backport support for newer hardware, especially when XP is still the dominant operating system in the world. Or do you plan to tell me that Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 are all more popular? Microsoft doesn't do it because it wants to peddle Windows 7 and 8. As to profit, Microsoft has made a killing over the years, it wouldn't hurt them to lose a few dollars properly supporting a system, would it? Oh wait, the shareholders and profit are more important than your actual customers! I guess that's why people are leaving Microsoft in droves and going to Apple's OS X. :P

As to Debian, if you'd bothered to read my earlier posts, you'd see it was a stop gap install to see what would happen. I know Etch is old. I was probably using Linux when you were still in nappies son. and I wouldn't piss on Redhat if you paid me ;-) I'm a Debian guy.

Dave

OK - weirdness ensues. Tried to load the custom ram timings in the bios (default F1 bios on the motherboard) - I can't edit none of the changes. Have re-read the manual several times, enabling 'quick' or 'expert' in the dram timing should let me make changes. But, it doesn't. Upgraded bios to F4s beta, still no go. Weird. Emailing Gigabyte to see what they think. with the 2013 I'm having so far, wouldn't surprise me if the motherboard is stuffed too. Only I could be unlucky enough to get a faulty motherboard and ram.

I've loaded the xmp profile and testing ram now. Will see how it goes overnight in the morning.

Also had a really good look at the qualified ram for this board - of the 8GB sticks, half of the memory sticks recommended as qualified are discontinued it seems. None of them seem available in Australia, except for the Kingston ram, which everyone is out of stock of, and it also appears to have been discontinued according to a few sites. Gigabyte should be updating the qualified ram if the list is like a year old (which is what it seems), but alas, why do that when you can peddle customers into buying a newer motherboard! Ah, I'm getting cynical in my old age.

Dave

What happens if Windows 7 dies? That vm on windows 7 is as useless as tits on a bull to me. Don't they teach kids redundancy these days?

Don't people use backups and recovery images these days?

Multi boot will not save you if you have a hardware issue of some sort.

Yes you can back up the whole VM if you wish. For VMWare player it is stored by default in C:\Users\username\Documents\Virtual Machines.

As to hardware issues, well, all I can say, from my personal experience in 15 years of building my own computers, I've never had so many issues with a new PC. Every single other PC I've built has worked out of the box after the hardware install has been finished.

And all I can say is I RMA a fair bit of stuff for DOA warranty. Had a fair bit of trouble with Corsair RAM for a while, had mobos (and now CPUs) with dodgy memory controllers too, bad IDE and SATA ports, stuffed VGA cards, bad PSUs etc etc. So all I can say is you have been very lucky.