Sign in to follow this  
corky

Small Netbooks

So currently looking for some for my dear old mums six week over seas trip, and well wants something to take with her to transfer photos off her camera, and to skype/email.

really looking for something with a 12" or smaller screen i think it comes up at 11.3" (feel free to correct me)

There is a couple of factors though - other then the couple of obvious ones mentioned.

Needs a web cam obviously for skype and NOT a tablet.

I've found four so far that have peaked my interest and have mentioned what i like/dont like about them.

Clevo (Metabox) W110ER

dedicated graphics (i'm buying it for her - this will suite me nicely after she is done)

current gen cpu with lots of memory

don't likes:

price!

Asus UX21A

same as above - maybe the space is a concern to? only a ssd's available?

Lenovo X131e

price

dont likes:

2nd gen i3

Acer AIOD270-26Dkk

price

dont likes:

performance - low specs compared to the others

so my main question - anyone got any recommendations in the 11.3" department. I have checked Dell and the smallest they seem to have was 13" which was a little disappointing- but then really - didn't want to buy a Dell...

Still need to look at Sony (which i am doing now and will edit if i find something i like)

edit - not touch screen!

Edited by corky

Have you considered a tablet that runs a full Windows OS? Win7 tablets with a portable keyboard are fun.

Anyway, without a budget listed I'll keep it cheap. You think you'll game\use the didicated graphics on a 10" notebook? $10 says you'll just use it for web and basic time filler games, if any. I wouldnt let that be a selling point.

How about this bad boy?

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/asus/f2...ook--sku-90634/

As long as its bigger than 10.5" you'll have a full size keyboard. So you're on the right path there.

Failing that, a few netbooks are stating to show up a government recyclers for super cheap, you'll get a HP netbook etc for $100-200 depending on spec.

EDIT: not tough screen = not touch screen?

Why not? Its just an additional feature. You dont have to use it. You still get a mouse.

I bet your mum would actually find it REALLY handy, oldies like the idea of touching what they want to interact with.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Should really get my arse into gear and get something organised... to go into what sort of size and price

I found that a good measurement scale is say an A4 piece of paper, and thing bigger and it just gets too awkward, generally this size limits my options to the 11.6" mark (and it’s the size of my current asus eepc which is as slow as a wet week...)

in terms of specific specs of the machine itself, current gen Pentium dual core 2.0ghz or better (I’ve always had a hate of Celerons...), 4GB ram, 320gb hdd or bigger (just find that a ssd in a netbook/notebook doesn't have enough space), and if I’m lucky enough to find it... some sort of dedicated graphics (again I’m probably dreaming a bit here haha), and lastly a card reader

Just to touch on the touch screen thing, if it doesn't add too much to the overall price, I’ll give it a look

OS, keeping it to windows either 7 or 9

Haven't had much of a look at tablets to be honest, my issue with them is their limited hard drive space (16/32/64GB + SD card) and lack of card readers

Budget, anything around the $1k mark

laptops are hard to find bargains on, so shop around once you find one you like.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/samsung...book-sku-90675/

i3, SSD by default, 4gb ram, 13"

Its cheap, its honestly usable, and it'll be 'super fast' as long as you install the OS, Office, and Web Browser on the SSD.

Theres a 500GB hdd for everything else.

did a little bit of a generic search just for 11.6" and i found a couple which have peaked my interest

an entry from asus @ scorptech

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/48123-x202e-ct025h

and the lenovo E130 series

LENOVO E130 i3-3217U 1.8G,11.6 HD, 320G, 4G RAM, HD4000, 3G, BT, W8P64, 1 YR, ARTIC BLUE

or

LENOVO E130 i3-3227U 1.9G, 11.6 HD, 320G, 4G RAM, HD4000, 3G, BT, W8P64, 1 YR, ARTIC BLUE

the only thing with all three is the card reader, but i did find a little gadget that will help witht hat, and also the 3G on the lenovos sounds interesting

edit: and i've also had these two brands of laptops/netbooks in the past so thats why i've sort of zero'd on them - just if your wondering why haha

Edited by corky

They're fine. 3G is handy for sure.

Rip the HDD out and replace with an SSD and you're good to go IMO.

Laptops are the one place where I consider an SSD essential.

Faster, cooler, less power, shock safe, lighter, etc.

EDIT: the HD4000 isnt a strong chip, but its usable. Check the original eeepc gaming websites, you'll be amazed what some things will run on!

Edited by Master_Scythe

thinking the 3G will be handy when i go camping & around australia trip(s) later on.

think i have a 240gb sandisk extreme sitting at home doing nothing i was thinking about putting it in, since it'll have enough space and i wont be charged extra for it, unless they have specials going on their websites (like lenovo do sometimes)

edit: hd4000 better then hd3000 and any other intel based igpu

Edited by corky

i think the e130 direct from lenovo is sounding pretty good, the only thing is 2-3 weeks + postage time

but an i5-3337U with 4, 6 or 8gb of ram and a 320gb hdd (which ill eventually replace with a 240gb ssd) and the hd4000 chip for $760 sounds pretty damn good

the only thing i couldn't see in the 'review' was the mention of the 3G mentioned earlier edit: found it and says "No Mobile Broadband support"

opinions?

Edited by corky