xnatex

JJJ TOP 100

this is the number 3 song for 2012

Boring rubbish, only 6 million views. Hell, i have a dancing video on youtube that has 3 million views.

How the hell isnt skrillex banagarang not in the top 10?

Over 100million views, all likes, one of the hardest hitting songs all year and it wasnt even in the top 20.

Fuckin Hipsters

Atleast i predicted number 1

Ima steal your grandpa's style

That alt+j song is boring. I can't imagine anyone saying; 'That was my favourite song of the year'. However it's not awful, unlike that Skrillex song. It was a terrible Hottest 100, but the voters did well to keep Bangarang anywhere near the top. Unfortunately, they let that shitty DnB group (Rudimental?) do well, so it's pretty much a zero-sum game in keeping out soul-less electronic music.

Edited by Gusto

Personally, I'd say Rudimental have far more soul than Sonny "Bash A Bunch Of Keys Next To A Public Toilet Stall, Sell It To Ministry Of Sound And Call It Music" Moore.

Alt-J is the only one I can listen to out of the top 10...

So much Hipster Hop it's hurt me, and insipid electronic tunes, and happy folksy tunes....

I worry about the kids...

I really thought Kendrick Lamar Swimming Pools would have gotten higher, people don't like strong tunes anymore? He's even mainstream! Now...

And I don't even like Hip Hop... but if you're gonna do indie Hop do it fucking right Kids.... grow some balls!

Guest xyzzy frobozz

That's why Nova FM was created - to cater to the mainstream.

They've got plenty of Skrillex playing there, along with the rest of the dogshit in the mainstream.

The Alt-J song is a cracking tune, as is the album. It's quite subtle though.

Give us a look at your dancing video....

Flume easily cracked album of the year for me, followed by Tame Impala.

Get Free by Major Lazer was probably the highlight single.

Most disappointing - definitely the Presets. They've abandoned their dark pop-electro sounds for campy breeze pop. Not really my thing. Shame, their last two albums are two of my favourites.

That a song with all of the subtlety of Flight Facilities - Clair de Lune can crack the top 20 gives me a lot of heart that the "yoof" still have some pretty good taste.

Fucking Skrillex.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

I don't understand how Kendrick Lamar didn't rate higher. And if they'd only played a couple of Flume's songs instead of 5 of them, he'd have taken #1 with Holdin' On. Easily. But such a wide spread of the vote was his undoing.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I don't understand how Kendrick Lamar didn't rate higher. And if they'd only played a couple of Flume's songs instead of 5 of them, he'd have taken #1 with Holdin' On. Easily. But such a wide spread of the vote was his undoing.

From memory Kendrick Lemar was quite a late release. I don't recall his stuff being played before late November roughly.

This is one problem with the system. I reckon the best time to release music for the voting is around August. That way a lot of people have heard it, and it's still in fairly high rotation. Release too much earlier than that and it drops off the radar, release too much later and it doesn't get a chance to get a following.

It would be interesting to see when the songs in the Top 10 over the past few years have been released. I reckon you'd find that they were released around that time on average.

EDIT: Swimming Pools definitely deserved to be higher than 71.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

At least they have heaps of Flume in the top 100

yeah flume are big

that K.Flay track Chuck Norris posted is actually awesome

xyzzy frobozz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdbRu_Q_8Ms...lg&index=21

3.1million, the funny thing is i didnt even upload that video. This dude took it of my website (shufflin.com which i had to shut down) and uploaded it onto youtube. It was originally hosted on megaupload before youtube was around, i made it in around 2005 it was uploaded to youtube 2007

That's why Nova FM was created - to cater to the mainstream.

They've got plenty of Skrillex playing there, along with the rest of the dogshit in the mainstream.

Skrillex was on JJJ long before the other stations, Just because he gets popular on the mainstream doesnt mean he should be alienated to shit mainstream radio stations. Every good nights with linda cast in the arvo's a skrills song gets requested. I never hear that Alt J song get requested, I wouldn't request that song even if i was on heroin

skrillex is bad.

even this?

Edited by xnatex

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Skrillex was on JJJ long before the other stations, Just because he gets popular on the mainstream doesnt mean he should be alienated to shit mainstream radio stations. Every good nights with linda cast in the arvo's a skrills song gets requested. I never hear that Alt J song get requested, I wouldn't request that song even if i was on heroin

LOL.

Fair enough. Everyone has different taste. I personally cannot stand Skrillex and, well, dubstep.

Arrrrrggggh! It hurts my delicate little ears!

Each to their own, but I'll take a hammer to the face before I listen to Skrillex by choice.

Edited by disolusiond

shiiiiit, Saturday was a good day with the Triple J 100, beers flowing, good people, good times.

I honestly like music of all types and will happily listen to pretty much anything. JJJ is the only radio station I listen to because it doesn't have the incessant ads that the regular commercial stations do.

Skrillex - fine

Alt-j - fine

Flume - fine

Hell, Spice Girls - fine

It's all music and I'm happy to listen to any of it.

Dubstep was around well before Skrillex was making it, it arose out of the Drum n Bass scene....

Hating Dubstep without hearing alot of the artists is a bit is like saying you hate movies after seeing one.

Skrillex only really = dubstep in the US... in the UK the sound was around since the late 90's early 2000's.. and most of the artists crossed over into other genres.

FTR, I don't mind Skrillex, though I wouldn't listen to him and I don't have any of his records, though I do like other dubstep and drum n bass artists, the irony is, I remember when his stuff was new and the hipsters were all over it, it sometimes is that simple they don't like him cause it's popular, alot of scenesters are that fickle.

Personally, I'd say Rudimental have far more soul than Sonny "Bash A Bunch Of Keys Next To A Public Toilet Stall, Sell It To Ministry Of Sound And Call It Music" Moore.

I dont know. If you compare Skrillex to a bunch ofther dubstep bands, you'll realise how truly talented he is. especially live.

What a lot of people just hear as noise, takes one hell of a musical ear to make it sound like a 'song'. Let alone a dubstep song, arguably one of the hardest genres to make it sound 'right'.

Dubstep often ends up being uneven bouts of 'wub' and bass, and people are happy. Skrillex' stuff has a bit of melody to it, catchy hooks, ground slamming bass, and considering how much of a Sonny fan I am, I love the samples from his earlier work.

Thought, if you're bored, listen to things by 'Sonny' before he changed his stage name. His punk-hardcore stuff is beyond amazing. Try Mora.

The dude can sing.... quite uniquely. I seem to quite like emo-ish punk that isnt all 'I should kill myself whats with the world today?' themed bullshit.

BTW, 'Fucking Die - Skrillex' samples from 0:59 :D

If anyone has a Sonny CD or access to 'full quality' of it, i'd love to hear from you.

I honestly like music of all types and will happily listen to pretty much anything. JJJ is the only radio station I listen to because it doesn't have the incessant ads that the regular commercial stations do.

Skrillex - fine

Alt-j - fine

Flume - fine

Hell, Spice Girls - fine

It's all music and I'm happy to listen to any of it.

Plus

Fucking

One.

I have only 2 exceptions.

Music who uses primarily a 'screamer' or 'growler' as the main singer.

And music that tries to glorify a 'gangsta' lifestyle. Drugs, lose women, and stealing. Not my themes to want to hear in music.

EDIT: skrillex also speaks loudly to 'internet types'. THe *chans named him, did a lot of work to spam his early shit around to get noticed, chose his name. and He's the number 1 supporter of Yotsuba project and tinyboard. Imgboard culture has a LOT to thank Sonny for.

at a friends 16th birthday (yes i have a couple of young friends), I heard skrillex from some dudes i pod about 2 months before it made it anyhwere else.

"Whats this?"

"skrillex. I betcha in 3 months, he'll be everywhere."

sure enough.

He's fallen into that 'so good, people want to call him bad' category. So many talents go through this. Though if you read his posts, he seems to handle it in stride.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I dont know. If you compare Skrillex to a bunch ofther dubstep bands, you'll realise how truly talented he is. especially live.

What a lot of people just hear as noise, takes one hell of a musical ear to make it sound like a 'song'. Let alone a dubstep song, arguably one of the hardest genres to make it sound 'right'.

Dubstep often ends up being uneven bouts of 'wub' and bass, and people are happy. Skrillex' stuff has a bit of melody to it, catchy hooks, ground slamming bass, and considering how much of a Sonny fan I am, I love the samples from his earlier work.

Thought, if you're bored, listen to things by 'Sonny' before he changed his stage name. His punk-hardcore stuff is beyond amazing. Try Mora.

The dude can sing.... quite uniquely. I seem to quite like emo-ish punk that isnt all 'I should kill myself whats with the world today?' themed bullshit.

BTW, 'Fucking Die - Skrillex' samples from 0:59 :D

If anyone has a Sonny CD or access to 'full quality' of it, i'd love to hear from you.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree on that one. The only Skrillex songs I can stand are the ones written by other people.

Don't get me wrong, I love electronica, always have, but Skrillex just sounds like *noise* to me. It's kinda like the guy who gets a grant from the government to smear period blood over a statue of Dame Edna and call it art.

And the bastard stole Ellie Goulding from humanity. There's no justice.

Each to their own.

Just like I find RnB 'talking over a drum beat', i can understand how people hear dubstep as 'noise'.

When you listen to a lot (I'm talking 6+ hours a day for the last 6 months. It streams constantly in my office as I find it soothing. odd huh?) you start to notice, well, what I said above.

A lot of artists just rely on one of two east tricks with dubstep.

1. 'mess' where dubstep is so 'filthy' that you dont bother trying to find the rhythm past the beat, and as such they can just throw things together.

or

2. progressive. While good progressive trance, or metal takes art, dubstep is so broken up by design, progression in dub just lets you make 30 second 'clips' and string them.

Skrillex is generally not guilty of the above two. He has some truly fail tracks, but most of it has a distinct chorus, easily definable rhythm, along with the drops and bass track.

Its not everyones cuppa, but IMO dubstep is easy to hide in for mediocre artists, just as long as "my drop is biggest" or "my new synth sound is catchy" they get noticed and labeled good.

Skrillex is one of the few artists who amongst dubstep fans, can be replayed and replayed almost to nausea and still be 'interesting' to the mind\ears.

Musical oppinions always vary.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but that was one of the worst collections of "music" ever assembled.

I just wanted to throw the radio in the dam each time I was near it. Couldn't believe what I was listening to at times.

Where's the good music gone damnit?!

Maybe I'm just getting old, but that was one of the worst collections of "music" ever assembled.

I just wanted to throw the radio in the dam each time I was near it. Couldn't believe what I was listening to at times.

Where's the good music gone damnit?!

2000 was the end of an era, 2013 is the hipster generation

JJJ Hottest 10 All Time (2009)

Nirvana – "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (1991)

Rage Against the Machine – "Killing in the Name" (1992)

Jeff Buckley – "Hallelujah" (1994)

Joy Division – "Love Will Tear Us Apart" (1980)

Radiohead – "Paranoid Android" (1997)

Queen – "Bohemian Rhapsody" (1975)

Jeff Buckley – "Last Goodbye" (1994)

Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Under the Bridge" (1991)

Foo Fighters – "Everlong" (1997)

Led Zeppelin – "Stairway to Heaven" (1971)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_J_Hottest_100

Edited by xnatex