xnatex

JJJ TOP 100

Meh, anyone can walk on my lawn.

Except the part I've sown new grass seeds on. If any cunt walks on that I'll shoot 'em.

I love that argument: 'I don't like it but it's popular, must be fucking hipsters!'

What is a hipster these days anyway?

Doesnt hip mean cool?

like, 'its hip to be square'?

Did I miss the boat when nerds became the new 'in group' and the cool kids are now hated on?

Doesnt hip mean cool?

Did I miss the boat when nerds became the new 'in group' and the cool kids are now hated on?

As I understand it, geek-chic has been the new thing for the past few years.

It's amusing for someone who grew up in the late 90s/early 00s :D

Doesnt hip mean cool?

visit bondi to be educated on hipsters, you can hear them cuz they are listening to Alt - J

I liked #1 this year.

Can't remember what year had Straight Lines - Silver Chair as #1, but THAT was an abomination. I think the proof of that is that the #2 song was still being played/requested 6 months later and Straight Lines vanished. I think it was just the "WOW SILVERCHAIR" factor that got it the number 1.

I think it's just now becoming an issue of "If I don't agree with it, it's hipster, and everyone hates hipsters"

Funny thing here. It was VOTED number 1. That means more people liked it than you. Deal with it. The liked it before you were cool.

AD

I liked #1 this year.

Can't remember what year had Straight Lines - Silver Chair as #1, but THAT was an abomination. I think the proof of that is that the #2 song was still being played/requested 6 months later and Straight Lines vanished. I think it was just the "WOW SILVERCHAIR" factor that got it the number 1.

It was #2, dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_J_Hottest_100,_2007

I'm honestly waiting for one of those sub genres that never get fame to cycle around to pop again.

something like heavy\power metal, british rave stuff (be it happy hard, drum n bass, whatever), Thing with a heavy classical influence, etc.

The way trends are going its only a matter of time.....

that was one of the worst collections of "music" ever assembled.

I just wanted to throw the radio in the dam each time I was near it. Couldn't believe what I was listening to at times.

Yes. My thoughts exactly during the annual Hottest 100 played Jan 2013.

Can only recall liking 1 track all day.

The Triple J Hottest 100 makes me embarrassed to be human.

Yes, recent years ones all do.

---

However, what about the JJJ Hottest 100 of 20 Years – June 2013

Voting: 20 songs maximum, released between 1 Jan 1993 and 31 Dec 2012

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100/alltime/20years/

?

I liked #1 this year.

It was #2, dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_J_Hottest_100,_2007

OMG, that was one of my favourite songs in Guitar hero 3, sadly It feels like the band is paying for all it's songs to be played no matter how crap or out of character for the station they are on. Tripel M Sydney I'm looking at you.

I took the time to follow the top 100 this year. atleast now I can make "fucking awesome" refernces.

However, what about the JJJ Hottest 100 of 20 Years – June 2013

?

Must pimp that.

You do realise that the way Triple J conducts the vote counting for the Hottest 100 is inherently flawed. The 'Number 1' is not the best song or the most favourite of the previous year, as it is generally touted as being, but instead the most popular.

When people vote in the Hottest 100, you are given 10, equally weighted votes. This means that you cannot give 'extra' votes to some songs over other, thus conveying how much more you like them. When people say the songs they voted for in a particular order, or even vote for their 'Top 10 songs' it is rather self defeating, because that order has no weight behind it.

For example, if 1 million people included Thrift Shop somewhere in their 'Top 10' then it will accumulate more votes than 999,999 people putting it as their 'Number 1' song. Hence, why the most popular songs end up winning, not the most favourite.

If Triple J wanted to do it properly, they should give 10 votes to a persons 'Number 1' song, 9 to number 2, and so forth and so on.

It's not all hipsters.. It's also 'fanbois'.

eg. The year that SilverChair "Straight Lines" got #1

Really? 2 months later it was never heard from again. THAT is a #1 song?

Hottest 100 should happen on the Queens B'day weekend. Give the songs a minimum 6 months to 'age'. If it's still being played, it's a contender.

Straight lines SUCKED bigtime. It shouldn't have even got into the 100.

AD

eg. The year that SilverChair "Straight Lines" got #1

Really? 2 months later it was never heard from again. THAT is a #1 song?

Apparently not, because it got number 2 that year.

EDIT: I just noticed that someone already corrected that same mistake from you in January. Fair enough. If I had it in my head that Straight Lines got number 1, it would piss me off too.

'Ace of Bass - All That She Wants' got #29 in 1993, the same year that 'Asshole' was number 1. 5 years later 'Pretty Fly For A White Guy' was number 1. It's always been a mixed bag. The best thing to do is enjoy it when your songs come up and mock everyone that voted for any other song and then forget about it forever on January 27.

Edited by Gusto

You do realise that the way Triple J conducts the vote counting for the Hottest 100 is inherently flawed. The 'Number 1' is not the best song or the most favourite of the previous year, as it is generally touted as being, but instead the most popular.

When people vote in the Hottest 100, you are given 10, equally weighted votes. This means that you cannot give 'extra' votes to some songs over other, thus conveying how much more you like them. When people say the songs they voted for in a particular order, or even vote for their 'Top 10 songs' it is rather self defeating, because that order has no weight behind it.

For example, if 1 million people included Thrift Shop somewhere in their 'Top 10' then it will accumulate more votes than 999,999 people putting it as their 'Number 1' song. Hence, why the most popular songs end up winning, not the most favourite.

If Triple J wanted to do it properly, they should give 10 votes to a persons 'Number 1' song, 9 to number 2, and so forth and so on.

yeah, just like the Logies.

which is why you need a solid voting block to vote up a batch of songs.Much like Adam Spencer did with Salmon Haters 6.66 is 1/100th on the number of the beast.

so, who will atomic vote for? will we form a voting block?

Over 100million views, all likes, one of the hardest hitting songs all year and it wasnt even in the top 20.

The only thing Skrillex hits hard is your subwoofer.

Who is voting in the top 100 of all time thats coming up? I kind of dread what the top 10 is going to look like, probably at least 4 alt-J songs.

Over 100million views, all likes, one of the hardest hitting songs all year and it wasnt even in the top 20.

The only thing Skrillex hits hard is your subwoofer.

yeah i thought that too, then i heard it on drugs and its like i "understand" it now. Now when ever i hear a good skillex/dubstep track i kinda feel off head i enjoy it so much. It kinda reminds me of an electronic version of heavy metal sometimes .

this is for you Twinair

obv nothing against the original but still fuckin sick, the breakdown at 2:00 is very boss

Edited by xnatex

yeah i thought that too, then i heard it on drugs and its like i "understand" it now.

Ok - now your OP makes more sense.

Don't know why everyone takes the Hottest 100 as gospel, it makes for a fun listen on aussie day but thats about it.

Edited by TheMojorising

My list:

JJJ Hottest 100 of 20 Years – June 2013

---

1. Beastie Boys – Sabotage

2. Cypress Hill – Hits From The Bong

3. Dimmu Borgir – Mourning Palace

4. Dropkick Murphys – Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced

5. Faith No More – Ashes To Ashes

6. Foo Fighters – My Hero

7. Iron Maiden – Virus

8. Machine Head – A Farewell To Arms

9. Machine Head – Davidian

10. Metallica – Turn The Page (Bob Seger cover)

11. Pantera – I’m Broken

12. Rage Against The Machine – Guerilla Radio

13. Rammstein – Feuer Frei

14. Sepultura – Lookaway

15. Slipknot – Wait And Bleed

16. Smoke City – Underwater Love

17. The Offspring – Gone Away

18. Tool – Forty Six & Two

19. Tool – Stinkfist

20. VAST – Touched

---

21. Bram Van 3000 – Drinking In L.A.

22. Clutch – Cypress Grove

23. Cranberries – Zombie

24. Dropkick Murphys – I'm Shipping Up to Boston

25. Fear Factory – Ressurection

26. Gotye – Somebody That I Used to Know

27. Green Day – Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

28. Iron Maiden – Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

29. Iron Maiden – Out Of The Shadows

30. Iron Maiden – Sign Of The Cross

31. Iron Maiden – The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg

32. Machine Head – Clenching The Fists Of Dissent

33. Machine Head – Halo

34. Machine Head – Imperium

35. Machine Head – Ten Ton Hammer

36. Metallica – The Unforgiven II

37. Metallica – Until It Sleeps

38. Metallica – Whiskey In The Jar (Old Irish Folk Song cover)

39. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Red Right Hand

40. Nirvana – Heart–Shaped Box

41. Pantera – 5 Minutes Alone

42. Pendulum – Coma

43. Radiohead – Creep

44. Rage Against The Machine – How I Could Just Kill A Man

45. Sepultura – Roots Bloody Roots

46. Sepultura – Territory

47. Sepultura – Cut–Throat

48. The Prodigy – Firestarter

49. The Tea Party – Heaven’s Comin’ Down

50. Urge Overkill – Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon (Neil Diamond cover)

---

Oh and centrebet has a market on this, heh: http://centrebet.com/#Sports/4680234

Edited by ssar

yeah i thought that too, then i heard it on drugs and its like i "understand" it now.

That's not saying much. You could hear nails scratching down a blackboard while on drugs and you'd "understand" it.

That's not saying much. You could hear nails scratching down a blackboard while on drugs and you'd "understand" it.

NSFW link.

Edited by disolusiond