xnatex

JJJ TOP 100

yeah i thought that too, then i heard it on drugs and its like i "understand" it now.

That's not saying much. You could hear nails scratching down a blackboard while on drugs and you'd "understand" it.

Nah not even close, if it wasnt for drugs there would be a whole lot less good music. Bands like The Doors and Jimmy hendrix made heaps of their stuff while off head. Best way to explain it to someone who doesnt roll the dice with illicits is Imagine your hearing spectrum can hear a range the size of a stamp. Certain drugs make you feel like you can hear a range the size of an A4 paper. But yeah, its kinda like explaining what colours looks like to a blind person but drugs dont make bad noises sound good.

There is no amount of drugs in the world that could make someone like Justin Bieber or Nicki minaj, let alone nails down a blackboard lol

Anyway, here is my top 10 submission for the JJJ TOP 100 of all time

Nirvana - smells like teen spirit

Rage against the machine - killing in the name

Fatboy slim - praise you

Nine inch nails - closer

Korn - got the life

Tool - stinkfist

Mettalica - enter sandman

Beastie boys - intergalactic

slipknot - wait and bleed

Macklemore & ryan lewis - thrift shop

Edited by xnatex

There is no amount of drugs in the world that could make someone like Justin Bieber or Nicki minaj, let alone nails down a blackboard lol

That seems like the exact opposite of what the bloke in disilusiond's video said.

"Literally listening to this music that was fucking unspeakably rubbish, then we'd have an E, and it's like fucking classical music."

Nah not even close, if it wasnt for drugs there would be a whole lot less good music. Bands like The Doors and Jimmy hendrix made heaps of their stuff while off head.

They did make a lot of cool music, for sure. They produced a lot of forgettable shit too.

Everyone did weed and stuff in the 60s, of course some of them would pump out some decent tunes. ;)

Edited by SquallStrife

Rage against the machine - killing in the name

Fatboy slim - praise you

Nine inch nails - closer

Korn - got the life

Tool - stinkfist

You know its the last 20 years, from 93 onwards to December 2012.

So like, you might want to redo that list from scratch.

'

Fatboy slim - praise you

Nine inch nails - closer

Korn - got the life

Tool - stinkfist

You know its the last 20 years, from 93 onwards to December 2012.

So like, you might want to redo that list from scratch.

'

nah i didnt lol, I fixed it (for now) tho I may have to sit on it for another few days before im happy to submit it

Nirvana - like a girl

Fatboy slim - praise you

Nine inch nails - closer

Korn - got the life

Tool - stinkfist

Spiderbait - Buy Me a Pony

Wolfmother - Joker & the Thief

Muse - Knights of Cydonia

The Prodigy - Breathe

Edited by xnatex

Half the comments in here I assume are tongue in cheek.

Skrillex - With you, Friends (Long Drive) hardly hits your subwoofer at all; and makes me cry every time... but I know what its about :(

Scary monsters is just as about the high synth as it is the bass line.

But whatever, there are always going to be haters who don't recognize or understand (and im drug free :P).

Anyway; to me, the 'top 100' have to be immune to repetition boredom IMO.

Your list, xnatex; after about the 5th play through of thrift shop i was so over it.....

and i LOVE 'Praise you' but once again, its like putting Fi5ve in the top 100, I can respect boy bands, and think they had a great run in their time, but its not possible to listen to them all the time.... same applies to fatboyslim, unlike dubstep or GOA\Psy, its easily predictable after the 2nd listen, and you'll get bored quickly.

By what I judge a 'good song' on, I think there should be more Daft Punk than there is. Ive literally looped the songs on their albums for 48 hours straight and still wanted more; and I know for 100% certain i'm not alone on that feeling.

I'd also put a lot of Eifel65 in there, some Spice girls, probably 'Every you and Every me' by placebo; you'd HAVE to have vengaboys, I dont know anyone who DOESNT know a VB song...... I dunno for sure. they're not even my favorite groups by a long shot, they just have songs that I think are timeless for the widest demographic.

to vote I think I'd really need to shut myself away for a few months with "best of" CD's and even then i'm sure I wouldnt be happy.

Maybe music really cant be judged the way we try to force it.

But music just leads to arguments. For something thats meant to bring people together, there are always a few who want to 'shit on your style' as opposed to actually EXPLAINING why they PERSONALLY dont like it.

I know almost no band that I hate everything they've done..... For example, I can say 'I hate Eminem, I wish he never existed' but when I stop and think, I enjoyed 'Business' in its day.

Get into obscure screamo and i'm sure I'll find something to hate; but overall, I dont know any semi popular band I can dismiss 100% like others are doing above.

These days I just ask "You a metal head? or ever go Raving?" If the answer is 'no' and 'no' I doubt we'll have a whole lot of music to talk about.

Edited by Master_Scythe

MS-

I get what ya mean with fatboy slim, I only put him in there because i've heard the song so many times and *used* to love it. but these days it wouldnt really get as much energy out of me as 1 of the other songs ive heard 100's of times, like prodigy breathe

Im going to swap fatboy slim out with:

Art vs. Science - Magic Fountain

That song just invokes energy and makes me wanna dance despite how many times ive heard it on loop.

I guess thrift shop hasnt been out long enough for me to get sick of it, but i am tempted to swap him out with something from Cypress hill but i dont know yet.

With all the arguments and stuff that happen with music, I always like to gauge the persons music palate before acknowledging any of the comments.

Like if someone hates Dubstep, then rag on skrillex, that means nothing really because if they don’t like the genre why would they like an artist? People who like Dubstep and hate skrillex would usually say something like Skrillex is shit and Excision is better, which i would kinda agree on.

Same goes for people that only like a specific genre, My metal head mates are the worst example of it. They hate everything but metal but still comment on Rap acts or dance music as if they know what they are talking about, but since they hate the genres they cant even identify good examples of music from the genre so that negates all the credibility behind the negative comments

It should be noted, I didn't say I necessarily don't like dubstep or Skrillex... just that it's a stretch to say it's "hard hitting"... In the way that maybe Pagliacci is hard-hitting, it's emotionally raw and soulful.

I don't mind the sound of Scary Monsters or Cinema, they're sweet tunes, sound great loud, but "hard hitting"... lol.

By what I judge a 'good song' on, I think there should be more Daft Punk than there is.

So what's your verdict on RAM?

Edited by SquallStrife

You talkin bout these fellas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_(band)

or using an acronym for these fellas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_Against_the_Machine

It should be noted, I didn't say I necessarily don't like dubstep or Skrillex... just that it's a stretch to say it's "hard hitting"...

This comes down to what you look for in music.

I have a very simple way to define my tastes; "Can I vocally or instrumentally understand it?" (so no screamo, or beatless 'noise' music\circuit bending) and "Is it unique?"

I hear people speak every day, I hear people sing nearly every day. I hear 'the usual instruments' on the radio every day. To me, generic singing and generic instruments are 'the norm'.

While the norm is, the norm for a reason (because its good and well liked) it doesnt IMO, make it a stand out.

Hence why I do enjoy dubstep, happyhardcore, powermetal; and if i want to be honest (why the fuck not) vengaboys, aqua, Five, Toybox, Passenger, Owl City, the list goes on and on.

As long as it still sounds like music, and is stiulating to my mind, I'll usually like it.

It's why I dont like rock or rap I think, the beats are predictable, the music is often very samey, and with rap, because it rhymes, the lyrics are often in my head before they say them, even if I havent heard them.

I think metal escapes that norm for me because the raw sounds are hard to 'memorise', and in the case of bnds like dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Eluivitie (seeing them tonight!!!!!!) they're just too fast and use such odd instruments (the HurdyGurdy is a fav of mine) they'll almost always prick my ears.

Im not happy with it, i have a spesh place for daft punk, i used to make dancing videos to their songs a couple of years ago. There isnt that beat that makes me wanna dance at all

altho this is a tad ebarressing here is 1 of those dancing vids, this was about 5 years ago and i got turded on youtube for it lol

Edited by xnatex

I've been listening to the top 20 of the last 20 years on JJJ recently, just out of interest more than anything else. It has cemented the fact that the hottest 100 is made up predominately of shit. Fair enough, it's popular shit at the time, but looking back at what was voted as the "top 20" songs of each year all I'm seeing ( for the most part ) is mediocrity that has faded from memory and into obscurity.

Also, it all seems to fit in some subgenre of 'rock'.

There is the odd exception, but I fail to believe the only bands out there making good music are 'rock' bands.

Black old son

Insert "not sure if serious" meme here.

Straight Lines by silverchair coming in at number 1! THAT IS NOT A NUMBER ONE SONG oh wait it's in at #90.

Black old son

Insert "not sure if serious" meme here.

Straight Lines by silverchair coming in at number 1! THAT IS NOT A NUMBER ONE SONG oh wait it's in at #90.

haha i wasnt being srs, but im really happy with this list so far, i was gaming while eminem lose yourself came on and i started to shred and score heaps of frags

anyone who treats a hottest 100 as gospel and not a fun mix of music you didnt have to manually sort yourself is always going to be disappointed.

Except Wheetus - Teenage Dirtbag. That shit gives me ear cancer.

I was disappointed because they played a grab of novelty songs and had the hide to include Ween in there with 'Waving My Dick In The Wind'.

To add insult to injury, they did not play it out. Who doesn't want to see old Jimmy Wilson dance...

Edited by Periander

Guest xyzzy frobozz

anyone who treats a hottest 100 as gospel and not a fun mix of music you didnt have to manually sort yourself is always going to be disappointed.

Except Wheetus - Teenage Dirtbag. That shit gives me ear cancer.

Posted Image

Oasis, I did not pick that. I'm fine with it though.

Its off the first album I ever bought.

'

Bloody good mix of music. A lot of haters on aussie hip hop, but I don't know how you could hate it, it's so cheery, nothin' like the american gangsta wannabe rap.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

For those who've not seen it:

1: Oasis - Wonderwall (1995)

2 The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army (2003)

3 Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye (1995)

4 Hilltop Hoods - The Nosebleed Section (2003)

5: The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony (1997)

6: Foo Fighters - Everlong (1997)

7: The Killers - Mr. Brightside (2004)

8: Powderfinger - These Days (2001)

9: Gotye featuring Kimbra - Somebody That I Used To Know (2011)

10: Powderfinger - My Happiness (2000)

11: Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows (2002)

12: Gotye - Heart's a Mess (2008)

13: Radiohead - Paranoid Android (1997)

14: Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man (2009)

15: Prodigy - Breathe (1996)

16: Bon Iver - Skinny Love (2008)

17: Silverchair - Tomorrow (1994)

18: OutKast - Hey Ya! (2003)

19: Blink-182 - Dammit (1997)

20: The Living End - Prisoner of Society (1997)

21. The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 (1996)

22. Blur - Song 2 (1997)

23. Muse - Knights of Cydonia (2006)

24. Augie March - One Crowded Hour (2006)

25. The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings (1995)

26. System Of A Down - Chop Suey! (2001)

27. The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist (2000)

28. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue (1999)

29. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out (2004)

30. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (1999)

31. Massive Attack - Teardrop (1998)

32. Tool - Stinkfist (1996)

33. The Cranberries - Zombie (1994)

34. Ben Folds Five - Brick (1997)

35. Radiohead - Karma Police (1997)

36. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (1994)

37. Beastie Boys - Sabotage (1994)

38. The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition (2008)

39. Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box (1993)

40. Nine Inch Nails - Closer (1994)

41. Coldplay - Yellow (2000)

42. Matt Corby - Brother (2011)

43. John Butler Trio - Betterman (2001)

44. Daft Punk - One More Time (2000)

45. Modest Mouse - Float On (2004)

46. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms (1997)

47. The Offspring - Self Esteem (1994)

48. The Strokes - Last Nite (2001)

49. Florence + the Machine - Dog Days Are Over (2008)

50. Pearl Jam - Better Man (1994)

51. The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You (2000)

52. Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc (2005)

53. Placebo - Every You Every Me (1999)

54. Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire (2008)

55. Fatboy Slim - Praise You (1999)

56. Underworld - Born Slippy (Nuxx) (1996)

57. Bloc Party - Banquet (2005)

58. The Whitlams - No Aphrodisiac (1998)

59. Daft Punk - Around The World (1997)

60. Bush - Glycerine (1995)

61. The Black Keys - Lonely Boy (2011)

62. Spiderbait - Buy Me A Pony (1997)

63. Grinspoon - Chemical Heart (2002)

64. MGMT - Kids (2008)

65. Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (2001)

66. You Am I - Berlin Chair (1994)

67. alt-J - Breezeblocks (2012)

68. Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl (2003)

69. Eminem - Lose Yourself (2002)

70. Regurgitator - ! (The Song Formerly Known As) (1998)

71. Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood (2001)

72. Wolfmother - Joker And The Thief (2006)

73. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Home (2010)

74. The Wombats - Let's Dance To Joy Division (2007)

75. The Killers - Somebody Told Me (2004)

76. MGMT - Electric Feel (2008)

77. The Presets - My People (2007)

78. Silverchair - Freak (1997)

79. Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor (2005)

80. Rage Against The Machine - Bulls On Parade (1996)

81. Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane (2010)

82. Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag (2000)

83. Pulp - Common People (1995)

84. Kanye West - Gold Digger (2005)

85. Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise (1995)

86. The Killers - When You Were Young (2006)

87. The Kooks - Naive (2006)

88. Something For Kate - Monsters (2001)

89. TV On The Radio - Wolf Like Me (2006)

90. Silverchair - Straight Lines (2007)

91. Jebediah - Harpoon (1998)

92. Of Monsters And Men - Little Talks (2012)

93. Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun (1994)

94. Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks (2010)

95. Ben Lee - Cigarettes Will Kill You (1998)

96. The Cat Empire - Hello (2003)

97. M.I.A. - Paper Planes (2007)

98. Jebediah - Leaving Home (1997)

99. Lana Del Rey - Video Games (2012)

100. Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (1998)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/...l#ixzz2Vis3lhMr

Wow! That's a pretty smashing selection of music! I reckon I'd enjoy about 95 of that 100.

Although I reckon Teardrop by Massive Attack is one of their most overrated tracks. Such a fantastic group, I reckon I could pick 10 better songs that they have done over the years.

Fantastic list nonetheless.

They say they have it as a playlist on spotiy - but I can't find it *mumble grumble*

Rob.

I saw that Foods, but how do I open it in Spotify, how do I save it as a playlist? (or "subscribe" to it as a playlist, whatever the correct terminology is)

I tried to use that webpage to search for it in the Spotify client, with no success.

[edit]: Oh! Hit the play button!

Rob.

Edited by robzy