xnatex

JJJ TOP 100

For those who've not seen it:

*Lots of awesome songs*

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/...l#ixzz2Vis3lhMr

Wow! That's a pretty smashing selection of music! I reckon I'd enjoy about 95 of that 100.

Although I reckon Teardrop by Massive Attack is one of their most overrated tracks. Such a fantastic group, I reckon I could pick 10 better songs that they have done over the years.

Fantastic list nonetheless.

Teardrop is one of my favourites. Loved it since the first time I heard it many years ago. :)

I'm just going to point out that The Nosebleed section is apparently the fourth best song of the last 20 years.

Then I'm going to sigh.

'

And to Rob:

http://open.spotify.com/user/triple.j.abc/...EqCo523EwgQf8yU

'

The thing about the hottest 100 is that there's a chance that everyone who voted for that song might have thought that it was their #15 or higher (to 20). But so many people voted it in that it got up to #4. So it's just which song got voted for the most - not which song is better.

It's actually a pretty stupid system. It should ask you to enter your songs in your own order, but that might be too complicated to work out against everyone else's results?

Bloody good mix of music. A lot of haters on aussie hip hop, but I don't know how you could hate it, it's so cheery, nothin' like the american gangsta wannabe rap.

I dunno how ppl hate it either, considering how main stream rap was a lot about poppin' niggaz pimpin bitchez etc (when 85. Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise (1995) came on i was surprised i still knew all the words!) not many people living in Australian can relate to that. Chilled out raps about summer days, going to the pub and having beers, losing on the pokies and shit is so much easier to listen to.

I kinda wish 360 had a better run in the list tho.

would never have guessed wonder wall to make number 1, but it makes sense when i think about it.

If anyone spots a big ass mp3 or something with the whole list for download, please post :)

I reckon a better way of doing the annual hottest 100 would be to wait a year or so afterwards THEN do it.

Let some time pass so the passing fad songs fade away and the more memorable ones get voted.

If anyone spots a big ass mp3 or something with the whole list for download, please post :)

If you went to some kind of Bay. A Bay that possibly Pirates might frequent, then possibly typed something like Triple_J_Hottest_100_-_Last_20_Years_320_kpbs_%28incl._Art__Lyrics that might get what you wanted.

Its only a guess though. I wouldn't know anything about anything like that, dirty music stealing fucks are ruining the entire music business.

'

If you went to some kind of Bay. A Bay that possibly Pirates might frequent, then possibly typed something like Triple_J_Hottest_100_-_Last_20_Years_320_kpbs_%28incl._Art__Lyrics that might get what you wanted.

Its only a guess though. I wouldn't know anything about anything like that, dirty music stealing fucks are ruining the entire music business.

'

I thought it was Reality Television shows.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Hey Nate,

What did you think of this year's version?

I think I maybe recognised less than 10 songs. I'm not going to pretend that's a poor reflection on anyone but myself, tho', seeing as I haven't listened to music on the radio (in Australia, anyway) in over a year.

i think its kinda like this

*snips*

"JJJ has an excruciatingly narrow-minded playlist that caters for the lowest common denominator. In my opinion they've failed as a tax-payer funded radio station that is supposed to challenge and present new ideas for the youth of Australia"

https://www.thevine.com.au/music/news/whitl...0140115-271435/

I think Lorde - Royals should have won (even tho thats not my type of music, its a really good song)

Flume & Chet Faker - "Drop the Game" is good and im glad flume made it in the top 10 (considering how much they play him)

I still dont get how songs that get next to no air time make it in the top 10, its like some people who dont even listen to the radio station get on there to vote for what ever is hip in the hipster scene then sign off until next year, while the regular listeners request all these songs that dont make it in the top 10

Heres a list of the best songs of all time (2009)

Nirvana – "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (1991)

Rage Against the Machine – "Killing in the Name" (1992)

Jeff Buckley – "Hallelujah" (1994)

Joy Division – "Love Will Tear Us Apart" (1980)

Radiohead – "Paranoid Android" (1997)

Queen – "Bohemian Rhapsody" (1975)

Jeff Buckley – "Last Goodbye" (1994)

Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Under the Bridge" (1991)

Foo Fighters – "Everlong" (1997)

Led Zeppelin – "Stairway to Heaven" (1971)

Look at them... now look at the last few years.. what happened?

I think im too old for the "Scene" that JJJ has become

Edited by xnatex

Not sure about that link to Whitley. He's butthurt. He can't accept that his latest album is crap (I've heard enough of it). Of course JJJ are not going to play it.

Their 2nd album was also crap. Their first album was good. Their first album got airtime their 2nd didn't.

I don't even really listen to JJJ anymore, but that's because I'm preferring CDs.

But just because they played you once before, doesn't mean they'll keep playing you if your music is later crap.

AD

Not sure about that link to Whitley. He's butthurt.

Snip

But just because they played you once before, doesn't mean they'll keep playing you if your music is later crap.

AD

+1

I'm definitely too old for the JJJ audience, but I still find more stuff on there that I will listen to than on other stations. Either way, I don't listen to a lot of radio...in the car, mainly.

Edited by stuub27

Not sure about that link to Whitley. He's butthurt.

Snip

AD

+1

I'm definitely too old for the JJJ audience, but I still find more stuff on there that I will listen to than on other stations. Either way, I don't listen to a lot of radio...in the car, mainly.

I blame the hipster movement. I listen to CD's much more now then i used too aswell, I still like heavy metal, dance music, some rap, pretty much all the things that have fallen out of flavour with JJJ

One thing I DO think they deserve praise for is Unearthed. Again, I might not love most of it, but it is still a great opportunity/avenue

Royals, a good song?

I don't disagree for a second, when it comes to that girl's voice talent, it's great.

But Royals is just boring. Much like with Gotye's successful songs of the last year, I've found the parodies to be more inspired and creative than the source material.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I blame the hipster movement.

Well... you'd hardly be surprised if the dance music scene voted in a lot of dance songs would you? Or the heavy metal scene voting in a lot of heavy metal.

The reason I asked is because it's probably the Hottest 100 that I have liked the least so far, and I've been listening to it since day one.

But it's a music democracy, right? The music gets voted in because enough people get behind it to vote for it. Perhaps, rather than "hipsters" pulling off a massive feat of coordination to get the song in that they like, perhaps it's just that people like you and I are getting too old to be hip?

;-)

I listen to CD's much more now then i used too aswell,

You listen to CDs?

Yeah, you're definitely not hip. Perhaps you should write a letter or send a fax to Triple J expressing your concern! You could even send then a VHS video of your concerns for extra impact. Maybe get on their bulletin board or send them an IRC message.

That'll do the trick!

I gotta agree that Lorde got gipped this year. While I really like the song Royals, I'm not entirely convinced it should have taken the top spot. However if it was a choice between Royals and Riptide... SERIOUSLY????

I was happy with a reasonable amount of the 100 this year. Was also interested in the Warmest 100 and how they did. Pretty good really for less data.

Royals, a good song?

I don't disagree for a second, when it comes to that girl's voice talent, it's great.

But Royals is just boring. Much like with Gotye's successful songs of the last year, I've found the parodies to be more inspired and creative than the source material.

The music I listen to usually would give some people nightmares, my fav band is slipknot and i dont usually listen to much else unless there is screaming, i certainly dont listen to chicks singing. But I went out of my way to fav royals on spotify and listened to it quite alot, (Long before it hit mainstream, im hip like that) not sure how it put that effect on me but beyonce, britney spears and the rest have never and will never get anything more then an unapproving scowl from me .

I blame the hipster movement.

Well... you'd hardly be surprised if the dance music scene voted in a lot of dance songs would you? Or the heavy metal scene voting in a lot of heavy metal.

The reason I asked is because it's probably the Hottest 100 that I have liked the least so far, and I've been listening to it since day one.

But it's a music democracy, right? The music gets voted in because enough people get behind it to vote for it. Perhaps, rather than "hipsters" pulling off a massive feat of coordination to get the song in that they like, perhaps it's just that people like you and I are getting too old to be hip?

;-)

I listen to CD's much more now then i used too aswell,

You listen to CDs?

Yeah, you're definitely not hip. Perhaps you should write a letter or send a fax to Triple J expressing your concern! You could even send then a VHS video of your concerns for extra impact. Maybe get on their bulletin board or send them an IRC message.

That'll do the trick!

Settle down old fart, MP3 CD's...

and the heavy metal scene and dance music scene "used" to be all included in the JJJ scene. What gets me is the massive disconnect between what is played on Super request and what is in the top 100. Logic would say the most requested songs would be the most popular ones.

Like death and taxes - People getting irate / annoyed at the fact that the results of a music poll voted on by the public doesn't match up 100% to their own individual preferences.

Insanity.

Sometimes. But the ones that irritate me are like the year that Silverchairs "Straight Lines" went to number 1. Only reason is because everyone was in Silverchair hysteria from the new release, and it was timed perfectly with Hottest 100 voting. Less than a month after hottest 100 you never heard the song on the radio anymore, but heard the other top 10 all the time.

There should be a cut-off on hottest 100 where the song has to have played for 6 months before (So make it June or something).

AD

Sometimes. But the ones that irritate me are like the year that Silverchairs "Straight Lines" went to number 1.

Number 2. It hit Number 2 on the Hottest 100 of 2007. Knights of Cydonia by Muse was #1 that year. I'm getting deja vu here, I could have sworn I corrected you the last time you brought this up.

Edit: Fuck me, it was even in this thread.

Edited by YPE

Sometimes. But the ones that irritate me are like the year that Silverchairs "Straight Lines" went to number 1.

Number 2. It hit Number 2 on the Hottest 100 of 2007. Knights of Cydonia by Muse was #1 that year. I'm getting deja vu here, I could have sworn I corrected you the last time you brought this up.

Edit: Fuck me, it was even in this thread.

lol - he has a point though.

Timing when it comes to the release of songs has a major part to play when it comes to where it ends up on the hottest 100.

The thing is, The JJJ Hottest 100 bills itself as the biggest musical democracy in the world. What I want to see are the stats on how many voters aren't, essentially, regular JJJ consumers.

Curious if The Dig will have a similar musical poll once the transition to 'JJJ for old people' is complete.

Even if it's just a bit of fun, turning music (or any other art) into a competition is a bit sad. Then again, since my taste never seems to run inline with the popular vote maybe I'm just bitter and twisted. Go on, you crazy kids, have your fun!

I like the hottest 100, but I often find 'the best songs' are in the 10 - 30 range. The 1 - 10 range tends err towards the 'what was popular at the time of polls opening'. The 10 - 30 range tend to be 'what is still good 6 months later'.

Just my 2c of course.

AD