smakme7757

Bent CPU Pins - Return declined.

Hi,

I'd been having trouble getting my MSI Z77A-GD65 inbuild Audio chip to work. Anyhow i setup everything on the dining table and i saw a few bent pins in the CPU socket. I straightend them up and it still didn't work. Anyhow i i sent the product back to the company with the primary reason being that the inbuilt audio doesn't work.

Now i got en email from them saying the return was declined because of bent CPU pins. I took a picture of the motherboard before i sent it so i'm going to check that tonight when i get home and if there are more bent pins than before i'll let them know with a copy of the picture.

But what can i do now? If i see bent pins in my picture i can't really do anything? The board worked, overclocked and everything was fine it was just the audio that didn't work?

Additionally it seems they havn't actually tested the Audio chip on the motherboard. If that's defective shouldn't they still accept the return?

Any Ideas?

Edited by smakme7757

Unfortunately bent pins would be defined as accidental damage by most manufacturers. How old is the board ?

brand new. Had it for a week until i had to take out my Xonar and found out the onboard audio didn't work

I mean it works, everything works it's just the audio.

Edited by smakme7757

Why didn't you try the retailer as your first point of call for replacement ?

I did, as soon as i found out the audio didn't work i sent it back to them. I got an email today and all it said was "Return declined: Bent CPU pins". It's the retailer refusing to take the return.

I can't see how a bent CPU pin would stop the audio from workin.

Edited by smakme7757

I would say by the sounds of it the bent pin had a ripple effect causing the onboard audio (atleast) to die. It could have been a voltage pin which shorted out another component on the board. As for the warranty, regardless of the audio problem the fact the board has bent pins means any other problem in their mind stemmed from the bent pins. Which is down to accidental damage user user, not a board fault. Also did you check that the on board features where enabled in the bios?

Edited by Modz

I would say by the sounds of it the bent pin had a ripple effect causing the onboard audio (atleast) to die. It could have been a voltage pin which shorted out another component on the board. As for the warranty, regardless of the audio problem the fact the board has bent pins means any other problem in their mind stemmed from the bent pins. Which is down to accidental damage user user, not a board fault. Also did you check that the on board features where enabled in the bios?

My troubleshooting of the Audio went over a few days. I tested everything. It definately dead. I checked for bent pins before i sent it back and made sure everything was in order. I just looked at my picture i took and i'd taken it with the flipping socket cover on, so i have no proof either.

$200 down the drain. It just seems like an easy out for them to just say bent pins. I mean i got no "Here are your options" just a simple 4 word sentence - "Reason: Bent CPU pins" and here is your tracking number for the returned parcel. Lets just hope the board works like it did when i sent it off to them, if it come back entirely dead then i'm left with nothing. At least before i sent it back it was only the Audio that didn't work.

Edited by smakme7757

You can email them back and suggest you are unsatisifed with their response. Ask them to reconsider and if they don't, then you are going to take it to the Ombudsman ?

I don't know what is going to happen from there, but it's your last chance once you've exhausted all options with the retailer.

You can email them back and suggest you are unsatisifed with their response. Ask them to reconsider and if they don't, then you are going to take it to the Ombudsman ?

I don't know what is going to happen from there, but it's your last chance once you've exhausted all options with the retailer.

The problem now is that they have already sent it back, they returned the motherboard the minute they sent me the email informing me the return was declined. I had no chance to contest. I've since written an email expressing my concerns about this, but all they say is "Bent pins".

Obviously i have to pay for shipping one more time if i want to send it back again and that will cost me 200NOK - i've since purchased the same board again for 1000NOK so it's just not worth the money. They know this as well. As far as i'm concerned they pulled a shifty.

In the end it's only the audio that's buggered, but still....Seeing as they didn't offer any help or guidence or even an offer on a discounted replacement i've purchased a new board from their compeditor who i usually shop with with due to better service and shipping times although slightly higher prices.

Edited by smakme7757

is it an assumption that bent pins in user failure?

how much evidence is there that it was not supplied damaged and if so, how do you then prove that the pins were bend on receipt of the board?

big cop out if this was a genuine manufacture fault.

Bent pins are classed are user mishandling thus not covered under standard warranty I'm not saying that you did bend pins , it is a great way for the manufacturer/distributor of avoiding having to honour warranty.

I would never purchase a PGA board online cause of this issue. A good retailer will inspect the board along with you to verify no bent pins on purchase. If there is an issue upon return repeated inspection at the shop to verify no bent pins. If something happens between the shop and the manufacturer you are covered.

I've sent a letter off to the ombudsman to get a reassesment. My argument is that one of the Electronic chips on the Board are defective (Audio chip) and that is why i sent the board back. Having recieved a reply stating that there was bent CPU pins seems strange because bent CPU pins would usually render the Board unusable. I'd however been using the Board for 4 weeks.

Additionally unless they can somehow link a bent cpu pin to a damaged audio Controller, which they havn't mentioned nor tried to claim, then i'd recieved a motherboard With a faulty component from the start.

I just hope they didn't bent the pins themselves when opening the socket Shield. If that's the case maybe i get a back a Board that doesn't work at all...

I got the new board from the other retailer today and plugged in the new board now, it works fine.

At least this time the stickers came off easily. The other board (the one i sent back) had stickers that were so old it left all this white shit everywhere.

I've taken a loss, but maybe the ombudsman will come through, see how i go.

Bent CPU pins and incorrectly seated CPUs can cause all sorts of wonderful and strange problems. When I first installed my i5 750 I didn't follow the motherboard manufacturer's instructions about the locking lever - 'Yeah yeah I've done this a million times'. When Windows was installed it would not allow access to more than 2gb or RAM, despite being able to see more. I reseated the CPU after much Googling and it turns out it was a common enough ebkac problem.

Your problem will be the motherboard manufacturer's anal QA processes, they would have the opinion that physical defects such as bent pins would not be possible during the manufacturing and packaging processes and therefore must be user mishandling.

Bent CPU pins and incorrectly seated CPUs can cause all sorts of wonderful and strange problems. When I first installed my i5 750 I didn't follow the motherboard manufacturer's instructions about the locking lever - 'Yeah yeah I've done this a million times'. When Windows was installed it would not allow access to more than 2gb or RAM, despite being able to see more. I reseated the CPU after much Googling and it turns out it was a common enough ebkac problem.

Your problem will be the motherboard manufacturer's anal QA processes, they would have the opinion that physical defects such as bent pins would not be possible during the manufacturing and packaging processes and therefore must be user mishandling.

I get that, but when the board works perfectly it seems strange to say "Bent-Pins" end of story...Espesially when it was sent back for a defective audio controller.

But either way they get away on a technicality. It's more the principle than the money.

I get that, but when the board works perfectly it seems strange to say "Bent-Pins" end of story...Espesially when it was sent back for a defective audio controller.

But either way they get away on a technicality. It's more the principle than the money.

There is no way to isolate the problem to being the audio controller alone. In my example I could have pointed the finger at a memory controller. It is very possible that the bent pins could have caused your sound issue, unfortunately there is no real way of knowing for sure.

There is no way to isolate the problem to being the audio controller alone. In my example I could have pointed the finger at a memory controller. It is very possible that the bent pins could have caused your sound issue, unfortunately there is no real way of knowing for sure.

But in your case the memory controller is IN the CPU, so bent pins could most definately be the cause cause. The audio chip on my board is being run by the south bridge in addition to many other compenents that are working perfectly fine. So the problem isn't the south bridge and it's extremely theoretical to think it could be a bent pin problem as they are not directly related.

There is a reason why they didn't say "You have bent pins, that's why it's damaged" all they said was "bent pins". Which could just as well be a cosmetic problem rather than a functional problem seeing a the board was in tip top shape.

Edited by smakme7757

There is a reason why they didn't say "You have bent pins, that's why it's damaged" all they said was "bent pins". Which could just as well be a cosmetic problem rather than a functional problem seeing a the board was in tip top shape.

This was what I was thinking

Does it work?

It Works 100%. The reason i sent it back was because the onboard audio wasn't working. Just static from the front panel and the back panel wasn't detected. They replied With "Return declined - Bent CPU Pins" Edited by smakme7757

So the audio works now or not?

Oh that's what you meant. No it doesn't they just shipped the Board back. Refusing to do anything about it because of bent pins. But in that Picture there isn't any...

Here is a different Picture from a different angle.

http://jack-brennan.com/Downloads/cpu_socket_11550.JPG

Edited by smakme7757

Got a reply from MSI saying that the socket is fine and that the retailer should have replaced the board. So that's some good news.