Sign in to follow this  
Jeruselem

Unlocking ya phone is illegal in USA now!

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/330315,phone...ted-states.aspx

Yes, it's illegal to unlock your phone so you can switch to another carrier in the USA. Apparently it's something to do with copyright, and nothing to do with stuff like jailbreaking.

The ban on unlocking phones was actually announced in October last year by the Librarian of Congress, which found that the procedure amounted to infringing on firmware copyrights.

So-called jail-breaking to allow a phone to run other than officially sanctioned applications, and unlocking bootloaders to install alternative firmware, or to gain administrative privileges on a device through rooting it, are not covered by the new law.

Another reason to buy your phone outright so you pick the carrier and can chop and change as you see fit. I always got mine unlocked from unique mobiles, but I am getting my first smart phone from Kogan :)

I should add if it has happened in America it will most likely happen here sooner or later :(

Edited by bowiee

I'll be getting one from kogan too if i cant find a galaxy note for about $250 2nd hand.

Aye some people are prepared to pay top dollar for a bit more speed, but not me lol. I have a 7" Audiosonic tablet running ice cream sandwich, I use it as a reader and for some net surfing. And its perfect for that, with a long battery life. If the Kogan phone will preform as expected, given its specs, I am sure I will be happy with my first foray into smart phones. ;)

Doesn't it mean you can't personally unlock it, but your telco still can?

AFAIK most will unlock when the contract for the phone finishes, so it seems like it's only actually annoying for people who take their phones overseas, assuming people not on contracts bought unlocked phones in the first place.

Most telcos in the US will make you pay the price of the phone to unlock unlike here where you can unlock for free and without issue these days.

I always got mine unlocked from unique mobiles, but I am getting my first smart phone from Kogan :)

That's where I got mine from. They were the cheapest by far. Also used them for my service provider. Paying by the year, unlimited text, unlimited calls and 6GB of data per month is only $24 a month. Also the cheapest by far.

As far as the op is concerned I think it's a joke. Not a funny one. It amazes me how the yanks are so proud of and love to go on about their "freedom", while all the while it's being stripped away piece by piece.

Edited by disolusiond

I always got mine unlocked from unique mobiles, but I am getting my first smart phone from Kogan :)

That's where I got mine from. They were the cheapest by far. Also used them for my service provider. Paying by the year, unlimited text, unlimited calls and 6GB of data per month is only $24 a month. Also the cheapest by far.

Yea I wont be using their plans as I don't really need that much credit, at the moment I get $500 of credit and 1 gig of data for $11.00 that's more then enough for me. :)

Yea I wont be using their plans as I don't really need that much credit, at the moment I get $500 of credit and 1 gig of data for $11.00 that's more then enough for me. :)

$500 worth of calls/texts would be more than enough for me. It's the GB of data that I really need, otherwise I'd be getting a similar plan to yours.