Sign in to follow this  
raistlin

EA/Origin screwing over Gamers

Ok im getting fed up with EA now...

Seems EA is going out of its way to stuff us gamers around.

Everything is going online only and with strong multiplayer themes with tons of DLC.

Even Simcity is now Online Only and because of this the size of the citys are tiny (I played beta)

Second its the Collectors Editions of games having less bonuses then the Origin preorders.

I refuse to buy a digital download copy. I prefer to buy Collectors editions but now im getting less...

I want everything in the game and I want a physical retail package.

Cases in point:

Simcity (Origin/Digital Deluxe)

Mystery Item

Heroes and Villians Set

British City Set

French City Set

German City Set

Simcity (Collectors Ed)

Mystery Item

Heroes and Villians Set

British City Set

Crysis 3 (Origin/Digital Deluxe)

Crysis 1

Crysis 2 Maximum Ed

Crysis 3 Base Game

Crysis 3 Soundtrack

Day one Gauss Rifle Unlock and Skin

Day one Explosive Arrow Unlock

Exclusive Scar Skin

Hunter Edition Bonus Content

Overkill pack

Crysis 3 (Hunters Ed Store)

Crysis 1

Crysis 3 Base Game

Hunter Edition Bonus Content

Overkill pack

Overkill pack

So your issue is that EA are trying to push their Origin platform and make money?

DAMN YOU CAPITALISM!?

Edited by PointZeroOne

EA only cares about Money full stop.

Example:

They get players to pay to have a 3rd party host their BF3 Servers and EA makes money off it, not to mention barely having any EA run servers.

As for pushing their Origin platform. Origin sucks.

Also take a look whats going to happen down the line... You purchase a digital copy of a game and a few years down the track EA decides to stop doing support for said game. You paid money but cant download or play it any more.

I just wish it would go back to how it was. I buy a game, I get the whole game with everything included. Now I buy a game and only get parts of it and then have to buy it part by part via DLC.

Everyone isnt getting the same game any more.

Edited by raistlin

EA only cares about Money full stop.

Example:

They get players to pay to have a 3rd party host their BF3 Servers and EA makes money off it, not to mention barely having any EA run servers.

As for pushing their Origin platform. Origin sucks.

Also take a look whats going to happen down the line... You purchase a digital copy of a game and a few years down the track EA decides to stop doing support for said game. You paid money but cant download or play it any more.

I just wish it would go back to how it was. I buy a game, I get the whole game with everything included. Now I buy a game and only get parts of it and then have to buy it part by part via DLC.

Everyone isnt getting the same game any more.

DLC isn't just an EA thing it is how the whole industry is going to continue to make money

A lot of things are going the way of the paid server (without being able to host your own, it is still waaay better than COD match making)

You have the same issue with Steam, if they stop distributing the game via there services you can't download the game from them any more.

DLC isn't just an EA thing it is how the whole industry is going to continue to make money

A lot of things are going the way of the paid server (without being able to host your own, it is still waaay better than COD match making)

You have the same issue with Steam, if they stop distributing the game via there services you can't download the game from them any more.

Yes and thats a shame. People use to make games for the game, now its all about making money and getting every bit of money they can.

I dont want to host my own servers, just pointing out that they are skimping on servers and getting us to pay for servers with 3rd party hosting and making even more profit off it.

Yes steam is the same, I agree. My problem is the digital download being a bad way to have a limited copy of the game. I like to own my games and be able to play them forever.

Only thing you can do is not give them your money, if enough people do the same it then ceases to be viable for them.

Edited by Waltish

Unfortunately lots of the big companies are pushing Digital Distribution and their own Storefronts, Ubisoft is pushing Uplay, EA is pushing Origin, I imagine Activision will come up with something next (Although they seem to be content with using steam for the time being).

DLC Certainly isn't something that EA introduced, but yes, I do agree that they are milking it a bit much, Origin is a poor DD platform which lacks most of the major functionality of Steam, its a shame they chose to go that route, but its easier for the companies to protect their IP when they use their own DRM methods (even if they never fucking work!).

As for going back to the old days, you have to realise that the change is from a number of different factors. First one being that Piracy was rampant before the internet and it was nearly impossible for companies to protect their content, 95% of the games I had in the 90s on PC were pirated, simply copied from someone elses disks or hard drives. The next factor is obviously the internet being introduced and becoming widespread, online authentication has been around for quite some time now, always on DRM is obviously fairly new, but its simply an evolution of companies trying their hardest to protect their content.

Lastly, you also need to realise that game companies have to favour money first! Look what happened to THQ, they've been around since the 80s, steadily growing the entire time, in 2009 they were set to be one of the biggest publishers in the world and now they're bankrupt. If publishers didn't care for their bottom line (money) then they'd go down the shoot too. Unfortunately its the way the world works, regardless of which business you're in, you have to be in it for the money.

Unfortunately publishers need to play it safe to ensure they don't lose money (THQ spent 100mil developing Udraw and posted a loss of something like 52mil the year the unit was released, they took a gamble which turned out to be shit and it essentially ended the company). Its not like the 80s/90s where a game development team was only a handful of people, some developers have hundreds of employees that work for them and they all need to be paid.

Simply put, the economy is definitely more to blame for most of your issues than the game companies themselves.

Lastly, in regards to Digital deluxe editions on Origin vs Collectors editions at retail, think of it like this. You run a company that sells goods to another business, you sell your items at $40 a pop to those companies and they sell your items for $80, then you find out that you can directly access the market that the companies you sell to, are selling to, essentially cutting out the middle man, so all of a sudden, you find out you can sell your items to these people for $80 a pop, without the store getting anything, but then you find that people are still purchasing your item through the retailers that you sell to, because its easier for them to buy the item at one of the many stores around, rather than your storefront that you are running from your basement, so what do you do? You add more value to the items you are selling directly, you add in one or 2 extra things that are not possible to get bundled at retail and boom, you open up a new market for yourself.

Thats the way I see digital deluxe content, it gives you more DLC to entice customers into buying it.

*ramble ramble ramble*

Hope my post makes some sense.

Digital downloads are fine. Charging you the same as a boxed copy is not.

This is something I agree with, apparently its to do with "competitive retail pricing" or so I've been told, some people say the companies are forced to do this, but I doubt that, if that were the case then surely all games sold digitally in Australia would be marked up to match retail pricing, not just the games from a select few companies.

Competitive retail pricing for the exact same people that turn around and sell second hand copies that give the publishers nothing... It's a facade. An excuse by the publishers to gouge customers for even more of the profits. Just like opening your own online store so you can charge the exact same price as Steam while paying Valve nothing.

Competitive retail pricing for the exact same people that turn around and sell second hand copies that give the publishers nothing... It's a facade. An excuse by the publishers to gouge customers for even more of the profits. Just like opening your own online store so you can charge the exact same price as Steam while paying Valve nothing.

Yup, my sentiments exactly. It serves no purpose that I can see, other than ripping customers off.

As I said, if it was forced upon the publishers, then I'm sure all of the game companies would be doing it, not just a select few.

*EDIT* Speeling

Edited by NukeJockey

People use to make games for the game, now its all about making money and getting every bit of money they can.

That only makes sense for owners/devs who are also publishers. Publishers were always out to make money.

My problem is the digital download being a bad way to have a limited copy of the game. I like to own my games and be able to play them forever.

Never had a game stop working because the disc had a defect develop, or because your house was broken into or because it was flooded or caught on fire?

OK..

This gets my goat. Pass the pitchfork and torch.

I'M GOING TO RAGE BECAUSE I DIDN'T READ WHAT THEY WERE DOING LONG AGO AND STILL NOT DOING SO!

Oh wait. What?

That's right. You can buy the FULL copy of the game, or spend an additional $20 to get $50 worth of DLC.

Yup. That's right. You can buy that other stuff ANY time. But if you buy it up front you save $30.

Lesse. I wonder if anyone else has done this. Hmm. Blizzard certainly wouldn't do that would they? Oh wait they did with all their WoW expansions.

What about Turbine with LOTRO? Oh wait. They did with their different versions of the game.

So.. A game that is going to pay for its servers through DLC offers some up front and includes more DLC in the deluxe version?

Sorry. But to me, you look like you're whining about it.

AD

Now that I think of it, since I pre-ordered the Collector's Ed, its not worth buying, for a tin case and 1 dlc pack, hell no. I'll probably go tomorrow to EB and change it for something else.

I did have a browse around for alternatives, and if I want to, I can get the Digital Deluxe for roughly between $60 to $66. Guess I should have waited though.

Edit: Forgot to add that the Collectors also has a heroes and villians dlc set but still, Digital Deluxe Ed has more.

Edited by Blue Fire

I honestly can't recall the last physical CE I bought that had something useful or worth a crap in it. 99% of CE's are just some form of day 1 dlc that should of been in the game for the base price to begin with. More consumer price gouging.

Actually that's a lie, I bought the FFXIV CE solely because I wanted the security token from it.

I honestly can't recall the last physical CE I bought that had something useful or worth a crap in it. 99% of CE's are just some form of day 1 dlc that should of been in the game for the base price to begin with. More consumer price gouging.

Actually that's a lie, I bought the FFXIV CE solely because I wanted the security token from it.

I was going to splurge on Skyrims CE for the dragon but then it turned out to be plastic so I didnt give a shit.

I spent $80 on getting the CE of Arkham City from some shop on the internet. The statue remains worth that $80 by itself. (least to me)

Only thing you can do is not give them your money, if enough people do the same it then ceases to be viable for them.

Bingo.

It's getting easier to do these days as well. Haven't been tempted by a game since Deus Ex HR it's all just more of the same IMO.

Bingo.

It's getting easier to do these days as well. Haven't been tempted by a game since Deus Ex HR it's all just more of the same IMO.

Same. GOG.com has been my source of content for the last year.

use a VPN or russian proxy, log into steam through that, pay only a few $ for the game. Problem solved.

My steam list is huge and ive paid fuck all for most the games there

Oh wow, the Russian prices are crazy. Presumably because of their currency/disposable income being low?

Something like that Nich...

Problem is, some of the publishers (like EA) are starting to bring out russian language only russian versions of their games, BF3 and CODMW3 are good examples, you then need to worry about getting a language changer, which breaks each time the game updates (or in the case of steam, if you verify your game files), so it can be more hassle than its worth it seems.

Admittedly I haven't looked into it so much, so it may only be a small amount of games that have the issue.

Are you able to shed some light on the above Nate?

I was a defender of Origin originally, seeing it as simply an alternative to Steam. I've been using steam for years and really like it so why would I have an issue with Origin?

But then my account got hacked and I realized how ridiculously lacking their security and account reset procedures are, but worse than that, how little they care that they are lacking. Why would I spend money investing in their digital distribution system when even basic security measures are just missing and EA are making no effort to implement them.

I'm realistic enough to realize that every company exists to make money. If they don't make money they cease to exist. But some companies do that by caring for their customers and fostering return business - others like EA do that by charging as much as they can for a sale and spending as little as they can for any sort of customer support.

Something like that Nich...

Problem is, some of the publishers (like EA) are starting to bring out russian language only russian versions of their games, BF3 and CODMW3 are good examples, you then need to worry about getting a language changer, which breaks each time the game updates (or in the case of steam, if you verify your game files), so it can be more hassle than its worth it seems.

Admittedly I haven't looked into it so much, so it may only be a small amount of games that have the issue.

Are you able to shed some light on the above Nate?

Boarder lands 2 was the last russian game i got, default lang is ruski but you can change to engrish. I havent run into any russian only games yet but i tend to get the normal version if i plan to play with mates like in BF3. Could only imagine there would be compatability issues in multi player games using the different region game.

Il prob roll the dice and try for a ruski Sim City tho

Boarder lands 2 was the last russian game i got, default lang is ruski but you can change to engrish. I havent run into any russian only games yet but i tend to get the normal version if i plan to play with mates like in BF3. Could only imagine there would be compatability issues in multi player games using the different region game.

Il prob roll the dice and try for a ruski Sim City tho

i did that for borderlands 2, in your steam list you have 2 copies of BL2 (borderlands 2 and borderlands 2 RU), 1 is multilingual but english as default, and the other is russian only (and smaller size to download), ive bought all the DLC's so far separately from various sources at $4.99 AU each, will equal same price of the season pass in $US, i wish i didnt buy torque dlc thou, shittest dlc ever in my book.