Sign in to follow this  
ameel

[Part-time Project] DIY HDD-Stacker Case (from scratch)

I currently have this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I realise 15HDDs can't cut it. I need MORE.

However, I want a mid-atx case (i.e. similar to the iCute above)

As you can see in the pictures above, there's plenty of space next to the PSU and plenty of space above the Mobo for more HDDS, but ATX cases just aren't designed that way D: (even the 5-in-3 5.25" to 3.5" bay converters were a long shot to get 15 HDDs).

So, I'm thinking of building a mid ATX case from SCRATCH to store as MANY HDDs as possible.

Pretty excited about this!

I've done ONE DIY mods in the past. I cut the side panel (in a nice shape) of a regular blend case and replaced the cut part with acrylic sheet, bolted to the metal. It was pretty sweet. That was a few years ago and I only used a rotary tool for the job.

Now, I'm thinking I should start with design, and then move on to considering material and tools before actually building.

I will post updates as I progress.

Please provide ideas, guides, tips, feedback and opinions on considerations I need to give to various things (which I probably don't know about!!)

first, looks impressive.

second, i don't understand the need for so many drives.

if you don't want to make a case from scratch, i have two suggestions.

1. get the silverstone sg09, great case, i have one. use an mitx mobo and make custom hard drive bays (only had 6 by default) or use and matx and put bays above the motherboard. there is also a spot for one more where the dvd drive goes.

2. get a server case, i can get you a good one (blade or tower) from cbne.org.au, i don't understand the need for so many drives.

or just make the case out of 3.5" bays, i have ~200 should you need any.

Edited by noskcaj

first, looks impressive.

second, i don't understand the need for so many drives.

if you don't want to make a case from scratch, i have two suggestions.

1. get the silverstone sg09, great case, i have one. use an mitx mobo and make custom hard drive bays (only had 6 by default) or use and matx and put bays above the motherboard. there is also a spot for one more where the dvd drive goes.

2. get a server case, i can get you a good one (blade or tower) from cbne.org.au, i don't understand the need for so many drives.

or just make the case out of 3.5" bays, i have ~200 should you need any.

thanks for the suggestions, but i've been looking for something to do for some time. building a case from scratch sounds fun. I got some pretty cool ideas too!

oh and, the more HDDs the better xD I can't delete data, I'm a data-hoarder

Edited by ameel

my current case is drive bay less, for looks.

What you can do is drill holes in the bottom of the case, for the moutning screws for the side of the HDD. If its wide enough, you'll get another 10 or so. If not, probably another 4 or 6.

scythe, good point.

ameel, one last suggestion, try something similar to what i've made below, using acrylic. it stems form this. M is for the motherboard, gpu etc. P for psu. sorry i had to make it ascii, just put hard drives everywhere else.

ml_l_l_l_l_l_l_l

_lPl_l_l_l_l_l_l

What you can do is drill holes in the bottom of the case, for the moutning screws for the side of the HDD. If its wide enough, you'll get another 10 or so. If not, probably another 4 or 6.

that would be too easy!!

ml_l_l_l_l_l_l_l

_lPl_l_l_l_l_l_l

i don't get it!?

Saw some tools selling for quite cheap these days (drill/drivers and multitools). Not sure which software to use to start planning/designing. I want to make to the mm sketches. I don't have much exp. in modern/recent software design, but I usually learn pretty fast. any recommendations?

Edited by ameel

that would be too easy!!

I work in IT.

After a while you learn nothing is ever TOO easy.

Drill holes in the bottom.

line HDD's up on their ends and bolt em down.

Spend $15 on some modders LED strips

Place between drives.

Cable tie 2X 140mm fans to each other, end to end.

Sit them over top of the drives.

Have a bloody drink and relax.

protip? Go all out with the modding, i mean 100%, or take the easy way. the compromise always feels disapointing.

EDIT: If you're going for a custom one anyway, use googles sketch tool to design it.

Maybe 2, instead of 3 rows, from something like this?

Posted Image

Edited by Master_Scythe

that would be too easy!!

I work in IT.

After a while you learn nothing is ever TOO easy.

Drill holes in the bottom.

line HDD's up on their ends and bolt em down.

Spend $15 on some modders LED strips

Place between drives.

Cable tie 2X 140mm fans to each other, end to end.

Sit them over top of the drives.

Have a bloody drink and relax.

protip? Go all out with the modding, i mean 100%, or take the easy way. the compromise always feels disapointing.

EDIT: If you're going for a custom one anyway, use googles sketch tool to design it.

Maybe 2, instead of 3 rows, from something like this?

Posted Image

that's pretty cool.

I'm thinking of something that will keep the HDD in place if case needs to be moved (like a trayless rail). I'm not sure how to design those, but will take a closer look at existing solutions.

case floor.

drill.

screws.

beer.

Just paint the inside black and get some LED strips and call it a day.

EDIT: ORRR!!! get on with it and give us a build log :P

Edited by Master_Scythe

case floor.

drill.

screws.

beer.

Just paint the inside black and get some LED strips and call it a day.

EDIT: ORRR!!! get on with it and give us a build log :P

haha,ok ok. noted. Still considering different options. Work got slightly busier so haven't had much time. Still working on the design part (which would probably take half of the time now that I think about it, including learning software). Need to get everything to the millimeter!