Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×

Hey there all.

I kinda haven't been keeping up with CPUs recently and was wanting to pick some brains on the matter.

I have a i5 2500k in my system which I am very happy with. I am going to upgrade my brother's PC in a couple of weeks and was thinking of putting in an i5 2500k in it also but I wanted to make sure it was still worth it and something hasn't been recently released that might offer good gaming performance with value for money that might be better to install.

Looking for any opinions :)

Thanks.

Yeah, the K series still overclocks like a mad man (which is why you're buying a K series, right?).

Make sure you get a good cooler so you can push 50% overclocks at minimum :D

Its usually quite easy to find the 'sweet spot' for things like CPUs in the same generation.

Look at the 'mhz per dollar' untill it jumps out of the ratio you find OK, then buy the one below that.

Why wouldn't you buy the i5 3570K ivy bridge? The 2500K is a good CPU no doubt, and will still keep up with current gen stuff, but I wouldn't be spending money on buying one new at this point.

Yeah price isn't a big issue.

I just don't want him paying $700 for a CPU when all the does is play a couple of MMOs, but I also didn't want him to get something he'll find lacking.

well both are fine.

long story short, my advice still stands.

look at the ivybridge chips, divide $, by 100mhz, and see where the price ratio goes out the window.

unlike mobo's or GPU's, there is no 'other' design for CPUs they are what they are, but what you can these days.

K series for epic overclocking.

I just don't see that paying essentially the same price for a generation old CPU is a good idea...

2500K - http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...500k&spos=3

3570K - http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...570k&spos=3

If you're on a budget and can pick up a used 2500K on the cheap then go for it, they're a great chip. Otherwise, Ivy bridge will be cooler, more efficient, and faster for the same money.

Edited by discoInferno

In my point of view, followings are the best intel gameing processors.

Intel Core i7-990X (12M Cache, 3.46 GHz,)

Intel Core i7-965 (8M Cache, 3.20 GHz,)

Intel Core i7-980 (12M Cache, 3.33 GHz,)

Intel Core i7-960 (8M Cache, 3.20 GHz),

Intel Core i7-2600K (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz,)

And if you want use AMD then you should select form followings.

A8-3550MX (4 MB, 2 GHz)

A8-3530MX (4 MB, 1.9 GHz)

A8-3510MX (4 MB, 1.8 GHz)

A8-3520M (4 MB, 1.6 GHz)

A8-3500M (4 MB, 1.5 GHz)

my preferred tool for CPU comparison as a starting point.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming...ock,3106-5.html

depending on budget, need for a discreet GPU and availability.

I would echo the others for the 3570K as the best bang gaming CPU ATM. it even has HD4000 onboard if you want to save up for a better discreet GPU as it still gives 6.4 on the windows experience even if it does rate low on this GPU table.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming...iew,3107-7.html

Edited by meowkitty

Thanks for sharing a link of wonderful gaming processors article. I have massive interest n the PC gaming. I got a lot of information and knowledge from the article. Once again bundle of thanks and keep it up.

I have the i5-3570k in my current system. Works flawlessy. I have not even overclocked it yet!

Will be overclocking it this weekend hopefully, going to do a clean install of Windows 7 and then jump into some OCing goodness.