Sign in to follow this  
ameel

[Windows 8] Discrepency in reported free/used space?

So I was running out of space on my 240gb SSD and decided to take a closer look.

My C: drive reports

Used space: 178,,192,846,848 bytes 165 GB

Free space: 77,498,212,352 bytes 72.1 GB

Now when I select ALL files/folders on C: drive (including hidden and system files/folders), it reports the following:

Size: 122,504,666,873 bytes 114GB

Size on disk about the same as above.

Where's the 51 GB difference in space gone between what the drive is reporting and all the actual files/folders on the drive?????

Thanks!

Hidden system files and folders, especially things like system volume information.

Hidden system files and folders, especially things like system volume information.

yeah, I granted myself access to those and checked. Still discrepancy of about 50GB :/

Ran treesize yet?

50GB is a LOT of space, almost sounds like you have a huge recovery "partition"

yeah i agree. i wouldn't care for a few gigs, but 50GB is substantial, esp. when running out of space @_@

thanks for recommending treesize. will look into that now!

Awesome. Treesize let me find about 33+ GB hidden data tied in Win > System32 > Config

However, about 15+ GB remain unaccounted for?

The C drive is one partition of the HDD by itself. I don't see how there'd be a "recovery partition" within a partition. How can I account for the missing 15+GB?

basically treesize says the files and folders in C: drive is 155GB, but Windows itself reports space used on C: as 166GB (i converted from bytes to GB, i triple-triple-checked)

Edited by ameel

The Windows 8 hidden partition shouldn't be that big - only about 100MB

Edited by Jeruselem

I don't see how there'd be a "recovery partition" within a partition. How can I account for the missing 15+GB?

basically treesize says the files and folders in C: drive is 155GB, but Windows itself reports space used on C: as 166GB (i converted from bytes to GB, i triple-triple-checked)

If this is an OEM built PC then the hidden partition is just that, it can't be seen in Windows Explorer no matter what as it does not have a drive letter assigned to it and is not in a windows recognisable format.

However you can see the partition itself (although not the contents) in computer management > Disk management.

Sorry forgot to update.

I cleared a lot of the random hidden data. It went down a fair bit.

Apparently Windows 8 and/or Nvidia 3d is bugged and create 3x 0.5mb files every 3 minutes in Win > System32 > Config (hence the large size). So i followed some online guide to stop it and got rid of the files. After getting rid of ONLY those files, data usage matched!! Not exactly sure of an explanation, but from what I can tell, those files were related in some way or other to the discrepency.

My system wasn't OEM built. It had n extra partition for system. My concern was that one partition (not the drive) reported usage value for the partition higher than usage value of all selected files ON the partition.

Sorry forgot to update.

I cleared a lot of the random hidden data. It went down a fair bit.

Apparently Windows 8 and/or Nvidia 3d is bugged and create 3x 0.5mb files every 3 minutes in Win > System32 > Config (hence the large size). So i followed some online guide to stop it and got rid of the files. After getting rid of ONLY those files, data usage matched!! Not exactly sure of an explanation, but from what I can tell, those files were related in some way or other to the discrepency.

My system wasn't OEM built. It had n extra partition for system. My concern was that one partition (not the drive) reported usage value for the partition higher than usage value of all selected files ON the partition.

Ouch... that's a pretty nasty bug.