Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Electr0

Best Value for Money 7970 Ghz

Hey all.

I've recently graduated from uni and start my new job next week so will be coming into some money quite soon.

I currently have a 4870x2 that has served me well over the past five or so years, however it is certainly starting to show its age now.

As such I'm looking to upgrade to a brand new (somewhat) top-of-the-line card. I've had my eye on the 7970 for a while and think I might go with the Ghz edition.

My monitor currently runs at 1680 x 1050 but I'm also planning on getting a new Dell U2713HM (2560 x 1440). I don't plan on using any Eyefinity.

I was just wondering what peoples opinions would be on this upgrade, but more so, which manufacturer currently makes the best value for money 7970 Ghz?

I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to get an aftermarket cooler either.

Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 3GB Overclocked $415 with 3 year warranty

it comes with a decent low noise hsf and stock at 1000mhz instead of 925

although its not a ghz edition you will probably be able to just crank up the ccc overdrive slider to around 1060-1125mhz and play away

you should be able to get bioshock infinite and crysis 3 with the card http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages...-2013feb04.aspx

ghz edition cards are $469+ and should oc easier but will run hotter and louder due to a much higher stock v

Edited by Dasa

Cool, thanks.

Unfortunately that offer isn't valid in Australia - there are no participating Australian resellers :(

Link

pccasegear said in two weeks they shoulld have it, mwave still has V1

Hey all.

I've recently graduated from uni and start my new job next week so will be coming into some money quite soon.

I currently have a 4870x2 that has served me well over the past five or so years, however it is certainly starting to show its age now.

As such I'm looking to upgrade to a brand new (somewhat) top-of-the-line card. I've had my eye on the 7970 for a while and think I might go with the Ghz edition.

My monitor currently runs at 1680 x 1050 but I'm also planning on getting a new Dell U2713HM (2560 x 1440). I don't plan on using any Eyefinity.

I was just wondering what peoples opinions would be on this upgrade, but more so, which manufacturer currently makes the best value for money 7970 Ghz?

I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to get an aftermarket cooler either.

Have you sold your 4870x2??

Umart have the AMD deal going. as of just now the webpage is down tho.

Thanks for the heads up. I ended up going for a Gigabyte 7970 (GV-R797OC-3GD).

However may need to get another if I go down the eyefinity route.

Have you sold your 4870x2??

Nope. It's stitting in the anti-static bag in the box that my 7970 came in. Edited by Electr0

Cool, thanks.

Unfortunately that offer isn't valid in Australia - there are no participating Australian resellers :(

Link

I know this thread is old and I haven't read past this post, but that offer is valid over here, my mate picked up a 7950 today from MSY and we got the code for crysis 3/bioshock infinite with it.

So how much faster was it after you upgraded from the 4870x2 to the 7970?

I am starting to think about upgrading from my crossfired 4890's but still cannot decide if it is worth it yet..

I am starting to think about upgrading from my crossfired 4890's but still cannot decide if it is worth it yet..

a 7950 will be twice as fast and without the extra microstutter from crossfire

a 7950 will be twice as fast and without the extra microstutter from crossfire

Pretty much this. It was definitely a worthy upgrade. I used to be able to play BF3 with most of the stuff on High, but would still drop frames every now and then. Now I can have everything on Ultra and it doesn't miss a beat.

Also, have a look at the Texel Rate here.