Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

How do you like your Colour?

So for the longest time I was obsessed with things being 'right'.

'correct' sounding audio.

'accurate' colours

'balanced' surround sound

etc.

With my eyes going south, I realised, the only game I really care about, DOTA2, looks brown-washed. Its meant to be realistic-ish coloured, but it just looked bland to me.

So last night, I ramped the colour up to 80% saturation, from 50%, and turned the backlight up to max.

I now have radioactive looking colours, and it looks amazing. I dont think I want to image edit on it any time soon :P but its like life has come back into the world for me.

Same for Audio. I'm a midrange bass nut. Screw 'flat' response curves.

How do you like your colour? and while we're at it, Audio?

Do you feel you need to stick to whats right, or do you live to your personal tastes?

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Do you feel you need to stick to whats right, or do you live to your personal tastes?

lol

Like you, I get a bit obsessive, particularly around sound. I've shelled out loads of money on sound cards and monitors. With my monitor (Dell U3008) I spent loads in the quest for colour accuracy (and a big screen).

It really depends upon the game I'm playing. With, say Skyrim, it's all about washed out colours that look "realistic". I've tried some of the FXAA injectors that add more vibrancy but, for me, it just doesn't look right. Then again, when I'm playing something like Fable, I just love the bright colours that pop out of the screen. The great thing about my monitor has been that I've been able to "set and forget", although it did require some work to calibrate out of the box.

With sound, well pretty much you get what you pay for. Again, I've spent loads on sound card (Asus Xonar Phoebus) and headset (Sennheiser PC360 G4ME). I noticed a huge improvement over the Creative X-Fi Fata1ty that I used previously. Sound is a great investment in my opinion, as you can use it across a number of builds over a number of years.

My wife calls me the Imelda Marcos of headphones!

I mostly like stuff to sound and look fairly balanced. Depending on what source/player/speaker combo, tho', I'll typically tweak the EQ a little, for a scooped effect. I know what things are meant to sound like, and I know what instruments I like to highlight, but I have to compensate for degenerating hearing.

I can never work out if I like my monitor to look cool or warm, tho', so now I've split the difference - main 27" runs a little cold, and secondary 24" runs a little warm. Same desktop landscape on each, so best of both worlds <.>

sound: stupidly loud, and for music, full of wob wob wob and beep noises.

Visual: whatever stuff has by default, but with one of the "cosmic" desktop backgrounds