frogmen

Win7 or Win8?

so i've been away from a windows pc for months and now that i've decided to built a new desktop, i was wondering which OS i shld get.

my previous set up was a win7 ultimate and with the new win8, i dont really like the new win8 set up with the whole dual desktop thing and not to mention the missing start button!!!

shld i just stick to getting another copy of win7? or shld i get win8?

There's nothing majorly wrong with Win8 that'd make you want to not buy it, TBH. Don't like the Modern/Metro UI? Then just use it as a start screen - or replace it entirely with a third-party start menu/button.

i agree that the dual UX and crippled Metro apps is a steaming pile of crap, but I'm putting up with it because it's simply faster, especially when running and switching between super heavy apps.

I'm getting buy without the Start button, no probs.

I won't be going back to 7. Windows 8 is a better operating system.

The media is complaining about Metro and acting as if IT IS Windows 8. It's not. The search is redically improved and the OS is super smooth. I know you're getting it for a desktop, but with Secure Boot it is a great OS for Laptops if Your value Your Security.

The only bad News is it will take some getting used to. It's taken me a month or so to fully grasp the way it Works, but now it's extremely easy and useful.

It's a pitty you didn't pick up a License when it was on sale.

Edited by smakme7757

Id vote 8. If only for the eventual cross-platform compatibility of the app store.

I'm still in high spirits that 'Surface' and 8phone will EVENTUALLY take a significant market share when interoperability and app store size improves.

hahaha, not hating on 8 guys. just that when i went to pick up a hp all in one for a friend and tried setting it up for him. i was totally lost. and i haven't been following much about win8 so i have no idea what has changed.

i'll probably get win8 since everyone says its a better OS. thanks!

that's ok. Linux OS's suck too. Why? Because I can't setup a printer in then! :p

I have been running Windows 8 with Start8 installed at home for about a week and it is great! I have just installed Windows 8 on my work PC without the help of 'Start8' and I think it's great. The new start menu does take a bit to get used to, but after that, its great!

I have been running Windows 8 with Start8 installed at home for about a week and it is great! I have just installed Windows 8 on my work PC without the help of 'Start8' and I think it's great. The new start menu does take a bit to get used to, but after that, its great!

There you have it folks; 'Great'.

Two things that brought me over from hating it to liking it.

The "Search Bar" functionality in the Start Screen thing is identical in practice to the one in the Windows 7 start menu. Hit the Windows key and start typing an app name, or folder path, and it usually does what you expect.

Windows+X gives you a little menu with a bunch of frequently used things on it, like Shut Down.

TBH, I have always like the freedom of the older X-Windows UI from Linux that gave you the freedom to put what you liked where you liked without too much menu related crap which, at the time, Windows had and still does to this day. Now, with Windows 8, each screen, especially if you have a multiple screen setup, is a separate screen on to itself but at the same time, part of the whole. I like how the taskbar now stretches the length of a dual screen setup, I havent tried it on a triple or more, and that you can pin whatever application you want on that screens task bar and it opens there only, if you so wish. Of course its been almost 15 years since those days when I was fooling around with Linux and X-Win UI but I felt that the Apple and Windows UI was a little cluttered. With this, one can hide pretty much anything in the background and if you want to access a particular app, all one has to do is to go Windows-key, to bring up the Startbar, the search and type in the application name, whatever it may be. Simple and elegant.

For those people, journalists or otherwise, who ended up saying crap about the Metro/Modern UI, dont see the larger picture. MS had to make this move if it wanted to survive and be relatable (not the word I wanted to use but oh well) in the current market. Until the release of tablets, no one really had any idea that the market for apps (in particular), was that large. Its a multi-billion dollar market and it wouldve been suicide for MS not to try to tap into that market. Another thing is whats happen underneath the hood in Windows 8. I wont go into the details here but Windows 8 is a much more efficient and not so bloated OS. It couldnt be if it were made for the tablet and laptop market (as much as MS had been piss farting around for years). The thing is, MS cant afford to do that now. It has to grow and progress, and, as much as I was biased against Windows 8 initially (calling it a tablet OS only), I cant see myself going back.

For once, and guys forgive me, MS has done something and it is good.

Windows ME :P

No, seriously, I've heard some good and bad things about Windows 8, capabilities and likewise, but for my needs at this time, there is absolutely no need to make a move to Windows 8 yet. I'm quite happy with Windows 7 at the moment so until I get a new rig in about 2 to 3 years, I can make a choice.

By then though, maybe M$ will have something new again.

I am curious to see how Windows 8 handles games and online Gaming? Do you need to download apps or special packs to get it running for gaming?

And what about Open Source software ? Will it allow these software types.

From what i am reading all i hear is Windows 8 is for Laptops and Tablets.

Windows 8 is running games fine for me.

Even Far Cry 3 is working now. Finally I can continue after 2 months.

I am curious to see how Windows 8 handles games and online Gaming? Do you need to download apps or special packs to get it running for gaming?

And what about Open Source software ? Will it allow these software types.

From what i am reading all i hear is Windows 8 is for Laptops and Tablets.

You're getting confused between the 'metro UI' and it's applications and Windows 8 itself.

The whole modern thing is built around being used on a touchscreen device and so it fails at working well on a desktop PC without some sort of touch input device (like the logitech trackpad thing they've released)

If you take away the modern UI thing and run windows 8 ignoring that part, well then it just runs like Windows 7 with some new features and so anything that runs on windows 7 runs on windows 8.

Definitely run Windows 8! I have been running it for months now and haven't had a problem with it at all!

I run both and still prefer Windows 7.

The UI of Windows 8 is just so messed up and unintuitive. I do not know wtf Microsoft does, they have a talent for doing totally stupid and pointless stuff. It is as if they dont test their products before releasing them.

Having said all that, Windows 8 runs all my software without any issues, I just do not like the UI.