Sign in to follow this  
sicko

Multiplier Changing

i have a Q6600 when i run cpuid on it the Multiplier changes from 9 back down to 6, if i change it in the bios to anyother number & set the bus speed 2 make it the same i can watch the multiplier change down to 6 even with the smallest over clock any ideas as 2 y it does this. Cheers

i have a Q6600 when i run cpuid on it the Multiplier changes from 9 back down to 6, if i change it in the bios to anyother number & set the bus speed 2 make it the same i can watch the multiplier change down to 6 even with the smallest over clock any ideas as 2 y it does this. Cheers

its powering down cause it's not in use. You need to turn EIST off. Turn off EIST and C2E in bios i think, and that should fix it. Put your cpu under load and it will stay at x9.

The processor has a built in energy saving feature which drops the multiplier and hence processor speed, when there is little activity. This means that it not only saves power but also runs cooler. If you open cpuz then run a intensive application in the background, you should see the multiplier return to the number which you have it set in the bios, in this case 9.

Thanks 4 that yes when i ran 3dmark2001 it went back up & stayed there, me a happy camper now ill mess around with it some more & c what i can get her up 2, this power saving thing is new 2 me as im getting back into the game when i used 2 overclock i changed jumpes on the board alot of hassel but still good fun so cheers 4 that. yes now another ? what is the hotest that i should run it at ive had it up 2 70c? Cheers

if its 70 under load, thats as far as id go.

most people around here are 60deg nuts, in that it should never go above 60.

I personally am one of them, but ive seen people run chips at 80degs without knowing (eg/ no thermal paste) and they work fine, i'd say 70 is OK, but i would not let it go higher.

If you're using the standard heatsink, i'd grab an Asus Lion Square for about $60 and put that on, will drop to about 55degs i recon. as long as you're using OK thermal paste like Arctic silver.

if you wanna get serious, learn how to lap your heatsink too.

what Squall is trying to say, is we use english here, not 'leet speak' eg. i wnt 2 tha mall o snday' should be "i went to the mall on sunday"

we dont impose a 260charcter limit here or anything :P

From: http://www.pc-guides.net/guides/overclocki...erminology.html

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)

An option which causes the CPU to reduce in clock speed and voltage when the computer is in a halt stage, or at idle. This option is always recommended to be off when you are overclocking because people fear that the CPU will not be performing at its full potential unless the CPU is at 100% usage.

C2/C2E Support

Similar to C1E support, in that the voltage and core frequency will reduce to save power when in an idle state.

C4/C4E Support

Also similar to C1E and C2E support, however this is a more advanced technology than C2E, in that it saves more power by reducing the CPU voltage and frequency. This option is only configurable if C2E Support is enabled.

CPU EIST Function

This option is quite commonly used among overclockers. This will dynamically change the CPU frequency and core voltage when the load on the CPU differs. The purpose is to reduce the average power consumption. Most overclockers do not like to use this option when benchmarking, however after confirmed stability it would be appropriate to have this enabled. Note that this will often lower the multiplier from it’s highest possibility to the lowest when the CPU is at idle.

Thanks for all ur info ive got it running alot cooler now & yes ill be looking into a better heat sink, i really want 2 water cool it. Cheers

Thanks 4 that yes when i ran 3dmark2001 it went back up & stayed there, me a happy camper now ill mess around with it some more & c what i can get her up 2, this power saving thing is new 2 me as im getting back into the game when i used 2 overclock i changed jumpes on the board alot of hassel but still good fun so cheers 4 that. yes now another ? what is the hotest that i should run it at ive had it up 2 70c? Cheers

Mine only gets up to 50c running 1.28750V at 3.2GHz... It's cooled by a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme with a Scythe S-Flex fan..

edit.. that's Prime 95 stable too btw.. 50c is at full P95 load..

Edited by radioBirdman