Sign in to follow this  
Zzozzach

Streaming iTunes content over a network

I want to be able to purchase some video content through iTunes and play it on my HDTV. iTunes, of course, will happily stream to AirPlay devices or Apple TV but I don't have either of those (nor am I interested in purchasing one ATM). The BluRay player is network enabled and capable of connecting to a streaming service, however it looks like it will only work with Windows-based streaming apps so I'm not sure I'll be able to do this.

So, my question is whether anyone knows of a way to shoehorn iTunes content over the network onto non-Apple devices. I've tried searching for it and come up with nothing, hence why I'm appealing to Atomicans for a solution.

Hmmm...Twonky looks like a possible solution. I'll check it out and let you know this weekend at the meet. Thanks!

Airfoil (although non-free, it is cheap) is one solution but only supports audio and not video. Airplay/iTunes uses Zeroconf(Bonjour) to find other services.

Have yet to find a server that can handle video playback from iTunes.

I love airfoil. I was using it everywhere in my old workplace when the apple rep said I cant just "make an airplay device".

I turned every PC into an airplay device :P

Sorry to resurrect a two-month-old thread, but I've run into a roadblock. I procured myself a device that includes a basic UPnP media server, a Noontec N5 (as recommended by Dan Rutter), and it works like a charm for practically everything except iTunes content. I'm able to stream most audio and video over the network to the Xbox 360 connected to my home entertainment system, but it would seem anything bought through iTunes needs a little...special treatment. Basically, it just needs the DRM stripped away.

So, is anyone able to suggest to me a suitable application for making my legally purchased content viewable on my choice of hardware? The search I linked to above has a plethora of choices, but previous experience has taught me that many of the first hits in a web search are either bloatware, malware, or worse. I'd rather take a suggestion from people around here.

itunes ditched DRM a while ago.

Re-download what you need to stream; preferably in 320kbps mp3 to ensure compatibilty.

You're not going to get around it otherwise.

If you need video too; 'special treatment' IMO is your only solution.

itunes ditched DRM a while ago.

Re-download what you need to stream; preferably in 320kbps mp3 to ensure compatibilty.

You're not going to get around it otherwise.

If you need video too; 'special treatment' IMO is your only solution.

Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear before. Yes, video is my main concern, hence my request if anyone could suggest a suitable app.

I know that audio has been DRM-free for a while, although I do have a handful of albums still in the old DRMed format; in order to download those again in the new, non-DRM, format I'd still have to pay a nominal fee of something like 30 cents a song. It would cost me around $25-$30 dollars to do that. It's cheaper to just dump them to CD and rip them back as MP3, plus I get a disc I can play in the car.