Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

See this? I want this.... on *nix

Get a Cubieboard. ;)

Sold out :(

All I can say is this wealth of low energy/low cost arm boards is awesome.

Get a Cubieboard. ;)

Sold out :(

All I can say is this wealth of low energy/low cost arm boards is awesome.

i agree, if i ever get my hi802 working properly, it will be an incredible file server and 24/7 folding box

Update, working through parsing various bits of system information.

Going to be out of the country for a week and am in the middle of moving so probably not going to be many updates over the next couple weeks!

Back on the horse. Bit of getting development moving update this one.

If you want to give this a spin on your own machine there is now readme file with instructions, don't expect to much yet, baby steps first.

I'd suggest using a Debian based distro (Ubuntu included) as that is the target and I will assume paths based on that. As Ubuntu already comes with Python it's pretty easy to get going with, this project does not have much in the way of dependencies.

You are going to need the following packages though mercurial, python-virtualenv, virtualenvwrapper.

Then it's just a matter of getting the code and a bit of setup before your away.

# Make a project location (change this if you prefer somewhere else)
> mkdir ~/Projects
> cd ~/Projects
# Get the repository
> hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/timsavage/pyticle
# Setup virtualenv (a isolated environment that lets you install extra packages specific to the project only without affecting the system python)
> mkvirtualenv pytical
# Move into the application and install required python packages
> cd pyticle/gui
> pip install -r requirements.txt
# Start the application
> python manage.py runserver

The second time is a little easier:

# Move into the project
> cd ~/Projects/pyticle/gui
# Activate virtualenv
> workon pyticle
# Start the app
> python manage.py runserver

At this point much of the code is boilerplate (placeholder or common code that needs to be written but doesn't really do anything special). Also note this application is currently completely read only, will not modify anything in your system. Eventually this application will start modifying system files (if you are running it as root!) but fair not for now it's completely harmless.

Edited by SledgY

Host the code on LP. you might even get it as a universe program then.

Looked at LaunchPad in the past, not really my cup of tea and Ubuntu isn't really my target platform.

Will be releasing images based on Raspbian and maybe a generic x86 but undecided as yet. Need to get a bit further before that comes about.

If anybody wants to try there hand at design though any input would be welcome, supporting custom "skins" is pretty trivial for a web based frontend.

Looked at LaunchPad in the past, not really my cup of tea and Ubuntu isn't really my target platform.

Will be releasing images based on Raspbian and maybe a generic x86 but undecided as yet. Need to get a bit further before that comes about.

If anybody wants to try there hand at design though any input would be welcome, supporting custom "skins" is pretty trivial for a web based frontend.

LP is used for heaps of programs, and if you use BZR, it's rather easy to use.

LP is used for heaps of programs, and if you use BZR, it's rather easy to use.

Quite aware of that, it's also not used for a lot of projects. Currently all source is stored in a Mercurial repository.