Antraman

What the hells has happened to Firefox these days? -

Firefox used to be great. What the hell's happened to it now? I have 12-13 tabs open all the time at most, and up until the last several months, upgrading from 12 to 14 then now to 18, FF has been getting more and more of a pain in the rear to use. It takes up virtually 100% CPU usage of one of my cores on an AMD 955 Quad Core, after a half a day of sitting doing nothing, the process starts using more and more memory until the point its hitting 900MB. and browsing becomes slower and slower to the point that it takes 10 seconds to do any action, which used to be instantaneous.

Sure, a restart will fix it, but the problem will recur, and I shouldn't have to keep restarting, as it never needed it in earlier versions.

Is Firefox becoming the way of IE now...? I really would hate to change because I have become accustomed to my extensions, the minimal interface and the Mozilla way of doing things. I check on the Mozilla forums, and many people have been having the same problem, especially with youtube, and the suggested fixes have all been bland, generic answers that seem helpful but ultimately are not. I reckon there's something seriously wrong in the core code, but who am I to tell Mozilla they got their code wrong?

No it definitely needed it in the earlier versions too. It's been like that for a while - It will slowly build up to taking up over a gig of ram, and then you need to restart it.

Just install chrome, check and see if it has the extensions you need and go from there.

I got used to chrome in an hour or so, and haven't looked back.

Chromium = chrome without the google reporting.

But yeah thats why I use Opera. Firefox got bloaty real quick. The memory leak was slower than todays actual usage when you have 30+ tabs open.

Running the modifed versions from Portableapps.com helps IMO, a lot of the 'features' are disabled (ones you wont miss).

Firefox was good in it's heyday. But yes, it has become bloaty, I'm sure it has resource leaks all over the place, and overall has gone downhill.

I was very hesitant to switch over to Chrome, but once I made the move, I have never looked back. Only issues I have is usually to do with Flash crapping out (which seems to be happening more and more of late).

This "Do Not Track" seems to be interpreted by nerds as "Block Ads and Give Me Free Content Plzz".

Do Not Track just means the browser asks the advertiser to not store your session data, which the advertiser is supposed to (and it seems legally bound to) honour.

Internet Explorer calls its function "Tracking Protection", but it's really more like an ad blocker.

Edited by SquallStrife

Haven't really noticed any slowdowns but I only have 22 tabs open.

Yes had issues with flash but that seemed to be fixed with a flash update.

Perhaps look at what addons are running in case one of them is the culprit on memory usage.

Oh and BTW 19.0 is the current Ff.

I've found that turning off hardware acceleration helped a lot. However it's the only browser that has GUI lag which is strange, again this was fixed by turning off hardware acceleration in Firefox.

I love Firefox, but the more I use chrome the more I feel like switching, but there are still a few things that Firefox has that stop me from moving to chrome.

mobile post

This "Do Not Track" seems to be interpreted by nerds as "Block Ads and Give Me Free Content Plzz".

Do Not Track just means the browser asks the advertiser to not store your session data, which the advertiser is supposed to (and it seems legally bound to) honour.

Internet Explorer calls its function "Tracking Protection", but it's really more like an ad blocker.

between that, my custom HOSTS file, and a VERY agressive peerblock, I don't see much online content anymore, lol.

EDIT: when I get home, i'll be trying waterfox... thats nice.

Edited by Master_Scythe

The only slowdowns I notice regularly - and this is with just under 700 tabs nominally open at present - are flash, or some scripting used on facebook and etc.

What version are you comparing against? Are you using a fresh user profile? Some of the debris that collects in old profiles tends to cause problems. A lot of the slowdown that isn't related to memory fragmentation can be blamed on addons and extensions.

There is a known issue with memory fragmentation (commonly confused with an actual memory leak), but I'd be surprised if 'only' a dozen tabs was going to cause major issues for you. I don't normally see any slowdown issues until the ff process is using over 2GB of RAM. Having said that, it's currently using 2.2GB and I'm not noticing any slowdown, and haven't really since 18 and maybe even 17 came out.

If you never had to restart to clear memory/CPU usage in earlier versions of Firefox, than you must be one of the lucky ones.

As far as Chrome goes, it's also a pig with lots of tabs open, tho' "lots of tabs" may be relative here.

i also noticed that clearing the browser cache also helps a lot too. Always do this after updating it helps.

FF is not what is used to be. It seems like they push out builds faster than a bakery cooking bread. I stopped updating my FF over Flashplayer and Memory issues ,using a old version now which is far more stable.

Bakeries cooking bread actually put out bread quickly, these days :

FWIW I'm finding FF19.x to be the best version in a long time. That being said, I set Flash to no longer use protected mode (because my poor ears, ow), so I'll see how long it takes for Flash to gum up the works.

Does anyone else have problems with streaming Youtube videos on the Chrome browser? It just stops loading properly for me after playing the first 30 seconds or so.

Problem does not happen with other browsers.

Does anyone else have problems with streaming Youtube videos on the Chrome browser? It just stops loading properly for me after playing the first 30 seconds or so.

Problem does not happen with other browsers.

Yeah seems to be a recent thing for me on Chromium.

If i pause a vid it will only load so much but if i reload the page it's all good.

Delete all browsing data, except for your passwords.

Seems to speed it up a bit.