GhostWhoWalks

PS4

Picking mine up in the morning. Having trouble deciding though whether to get Killzone or BF4.

I've played:

Killzone 2 (really awesome), Killzone 3 (not bad)

Battlefield BC2 (really loved this), Battlefield 3 (not blown away)

based on this track record I'm totally on the fence.

Shadowfall has gotten very meh reviews, not sure if partly a result of adjusted generational expectations, or if it really is worse than both predecessors.

and Battlefield is Battlefield.. solid online team warfare mechanics, but has anyone played and can comment on whether it's game breakingly unfinished/unpolished or anything like that?

In both cases I would primarily be buying into the multiplayer.

Some one get me off this fence...

Edited by xfu

ok, day one experience...

I plugged the system in and was up and running rather quickly. the update seemed to take about 20 seconds to download and then 5 minutes or so to install (roughly, I think). The initially settings prompts were painless and fast.

The first time I loaded up the new interface, the predominant experience was surprisingly a kind of vague confusion. Lots of sections were empty, had actionless button presses, and were generally unintuitive in my opinion. The PS3's XMB, by comparison, was never unclear to me that I recall.

After briefly watching a couple random live game streams, I went into the playstation store. "Free 14 day ps+ trial" is written all over the place, along with plenty of "claim now" dangling carrots, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I spent about 10 minutes trying to understand what I was missing in not being able to get these free 14 days, and then gave up. I can only guess that after choosing one of the paid options, I'll get credited 14 days and have an optionally cancellation period maybe. or something. It's a shitty guess, and it left me frustrated.

So single player only for now.

next I signed into my existing PSN account. All good, no issues. The trophy info is much improved. The friends list seems better presented. As the UI gets more familiar I think there's a lot of good things to say about what they've done.

sidenote: I could already be mentioning the dual shock 4 at this point, but I'll wait.

Onto BF4...

It seemed to me like it instantly loaded. If there was some kind of installation, I didn't know about it. After the intro vid rolled I jumped into the campaign. Graphically, I'd say it feels like half a generational jump most of the time, with the high def and high framerate striking me as the most noticeable differences - much moreso than lighting or post processing (I dig that stuff more). I think the big graphical jumps (I'm yet to see KZSF) are still on the way maybe next year. That said, a few moments in BF4 were graphically exceptional.

What I really noticed most though when I jumped into BF4 was the controller. The Dualshock 4 is really, really nice. Everything about it feels excellent, and leagues ahead of the DS3. I also plugged some headphones into the controller just to test that out (just normal ones), and that worked great. You have to go into the controller's options and enable the headphones output, which simultaneously turned my TV sound off. When I pulled the headphones out of the controller, the TV sound automatically switched itself back on.

So I finished chapter 1 of the campaign, and then BF4 crashed. After declining the error report due to the impatience of wanting to jump back in, another nasty surprise... "resume campaign" lead to the very first intro scene, as in, back to the start of the game. Where the shit is my save data? Who the hell knows... I think I would have probably rage quit then and there, but fortunately going into the chapter-select (or whatever it's called) menu let me start at the next part of the game. Lucky.

By now though, my biggest PS4 gripe had just begun to annoy me to the point of distraction... It's loud. and when I say it's loud, I mean it's SERIOUSLY FUCKING LOUD. It's unreasonably loud. It's louder than any PC I've ever owned and I've built myself some super dodgy PCs with super dodgy CPU fans in my time. Throughout the whole second chapter of BF4 it got louder. I could hardly believe the noise it was filling the room with.

I finished chapter 2 and powered down. I stuck my hand on top of the console and I would say it felt "hot-ish". Didn't feel like crisis-level heat. Not sure what to make of it.

so all in all, it's fun and has a lot of great stuff, but I seriously hope there's a solution for that noise.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get this PS+ thing happening and can test out the multiplayer stuff.

Also worth noting is at some point I hit the share button on the controller just to check it out, and the video recording seems great. I started looking into sharing it but the only option available was a facebook login which I'm not really interested in. Will investigate that further.

Thanks for the impressions. I googled "PS4 decibels" and found this link by eurogamer, which suggests load gives 52dBA (idle 40dBA) measured from the console:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalf...t-playstation-4

It's by virtue of design, the squirrel-cage fan has to work harder to bring in air to cool both the APU and the integrated PSU - the XB1 has a lesser APU and no internal PSU to worry about, and also has a more direct airflow path, so winds up being quieter.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalf...e-hardware-test

*edit*

As to a solution for the noise... where do you have the console? Does it get enough fresh air / have free space around all sides to intake air? Sony has clearly tuned the fan to spin up sooner than later to keep things cool inside.

Edited by TheFrunj

Some folks find it quieter than Ps3, they don't all make a loud noise, its not a design flaw, if one is particularly loud it is a mfg fault, .. http://www.gamepur.com/news/12477-ps4-nois...mpared-ps3.html

---------------------------------------------------

Even at maximum heat dissipation, the PS4 is much quieter than its predecessors. It's not outright silent, but from across the room the system produces a faint, low-level hum that's much less noticeable than the tiny jet engine whine of my launch-era PS3. The PS4 gets a little louder when a disc is spinning, but since all games run directly from the hard drive, this is really only an issue when watching disc-based movies. As I write this, I notice the gentle fan whir of my 2010 MacBook Air much more than I notice any noise coming from the PS4 running a game.

From this link http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/play...-a-mixed-start/

----------------------------------------------------------

xfu does yours sit flat or does it rock a tiny bit , some of them seem to be a bit out of square and it makes them sound louder , one guy took the feet of his an says that fixed it, others say use a couple of playing cards or post it notes to get it to sit firm.

If that don't work it may be a doggy fan/fan bearing maybe report to Sony for repair or replacement.

Edited by Waltish

As to a solution for the noise... where do you have the console? Does it get enough fresh air / have free space around all sides to intake air? Sony has clearly tuned the fan to spin up sooner than later to keep things cool inside.

it's only got about an inch or so behind it, but a few above and plenty on either side.

It starts almost silent, but after about 10-15 mins becomes quite noticeably audible. From there (especially in BF4), it eventually winds up to such a loud noise that I need to turn the volume on the TV up significantly to compensate and comfortably hear things like quieter dialogue moments in a cutscene for example.

Some folks find it quieter than Ps3, they don't all make a loud noise, its not a design flaw, if one is particularly loud it is a mfg fault, .. http://www.gamepur.com/news/12477-ps4-nois...mpared-ps3.html

My PS3 slim is almost silent most of the time. At it's absolute peak (which is only an occasional occurrence) when it gets a bit hot, I can hear it but not at a level that bothers me too much. My PS4 is magnitudes louder at peak and seems to get there faster. It's also a lot louder than my 2007 fat PS3 ever was.

xfu does yours sit flat or does it rock a tiny bit , some of them seem to be a bit out of square and it makes them sound louder , one guy took the feet of his an says that fixed it, others say use a couple of playing cards or post it notes to get it to sit firm.

If that don't work it may be a doggy fan/fan bearing maybe report to Sony for repair or replacement.

Yeah I don't know if mine is defective. I was quite surprised because I'd read the PS4 was a fairly quite machine. It's otherwise working fine so I don't know if Sony/JB would even take it back under warranty.

It seems to be sitting flat, no wobble. Maybe I could try to get some space underneath it.

----

on another note...

DO NOT GET BATTLEFIELD4 ON PS4. (yet).

I tried to go back and resume the campaign, and my data is totally gone (again). I have no campaign. I have no chapter select either. It's literally like I've just inserted the disc for the first time (except for the trophies for completing the chapters I beat). MP is working ok so far, SP is kind of dead to me now unfortunately since I can't stand to forcibly redo a big chunk like that.

On the flipside, Resogun which is free with PS+, is an outstandingly awesome PSN arcade game. Beautiful to look at and excellent game design. Bastard hard too.

Yah yah they are both throwing some good adds around , but I found this one to be clever and funny.

Did it.

Was holding back waiting to get one over the counter, and waiting for something to convince me to go next gen, saw this yesterday ,

no visible difference between the cgi cut scene and the game play, then today PS4 has lobbed at our local Target, so dropped some dosh on one and a spare controller.

No probs booted up, initialised, updated, signed in with PS3 user ID, DL some free stuff , its quick, looks crisp, and is quiet.

Don't know about how a major Title runs yet, haven't bought one, controller is comfy and motion sensing is tight, quiet good for inputting text using the DS4 motion sensing to select letters.

Flow , Flower and Zen Pinball are all schmick and particularly Zen pinball respond crisply to input, but these are low resource using games, and no real indicator of gaming power.

Let you know when I get something meaty on the system.

Edit:: Have got Killzone Shadow Fall Bundle DL as I type this.

POST EDIT: Played past the first mission, its looks smichk and runs crisp.

Edited by Waltish

Dead Nation in the Instant Games Collection, it just dropped in, I thought not really my thing but hey its free and not a massive DL.

Turns out its a hoot, I have been running it on Brain-dead (easiest) level to get a feel of the controls, will bunt it up a level next time I go in.

Good to hear waltish - the PS4 is off to a fairy tale start and I can only see things getting better as it goes.

Have held off picking one up even though I have the money sitting there but I imagine that will change with second son coming