Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
phantomreaper

Two questions for you fine chaps.

I've been mulling over a build (Which I posted in the build thread, still working on fiddling with builds.) and I'm still indecisive over which manufactured GPU to get

1. What are the pros and cons of ATI and NVidia? (I'm currently looking at 7970 vs 670/680)

2. What brand-name is indicative of quality? (PowerColor, MSI, Gigabyte etc)

I noticed that PowerColor has a 7970 offering at $5 cheaper than the HIS 7970 (On PCCG) and I'm wondering how reputable they are.

Okay, I lied about the number of questions

My last question is; Overclocking a video card, are the performance gains worth the time and effort put into overclocking/potentially damaging your hardware or is it really a bunch of fluff for the average gamer who just wants to play their games at 50-60 fps?

OK!

prepare for HUGE generalisations, google individual models for more answers.

1. NVIDIA has better 'old' support (anything pre-DirectX7 seems to run @ like 3FPS on the new ATI's)

2. NVIDIA has much more stable Drivers.

3. ATI has much faster cards, in the same values

4. ATI is usually cheaper regardless

5. ATI has Crossfire, which is far superior to SLI

6. PowerColor are fine; 'bad GPU brands' are rare; they're not a cheap part to make. Though ASUS uses direct heatpipes which usually makes them run cooler.

7. Simple overclocking, by moving the sliders in the default driver control panel, are childs play, and with ALMOST no risk. for a free 15% better performance; why not? Move the sliders, click test a few times, be happy.

Thanks for that insight.

One more question, whilst I'm on the ball

What would be the lifecycle of say...a GTX 680?

I'm looking to be able to chew up games for the next 3 years minimum.

that's also a very broad question.

With crysis3 "promising to bring all current GPUs to their knees", who knows.

Financially, your'e ALWAYS better to buy 2x cards, at their 'sweet spot' (price\performance) on the market over the course of 4 years, than trying to get 3+ years out of a current one.

NVIDIA has much more stable drivers.

Sorry mate I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. AMD has made a huge leap with their drivers, maybe 4-5 years back they were abit shoddy but far from it today. Muchly on-par with NVIDIA.

For Overclocking and bang for your buck go with AMD, what brand is up to you, gigabyte is usually pretty damn good but PC and HIS aren't bad either. Go with NVIDIA if you want abit more quiter and cooler cards, but you will pay more for them. You choice in the end, goodluck!

ok, so I have 4 monitors. How can I run overdrive without flickering?

ATI drivers are way behind par too.

Still cant play any EARLY direct X games without lag.

What cards do you have experience with that you draw your conclusions from, MS?

What cards do you have experience with that you draw your conclusions from, MS?

It happened across the entire 5000 series. If you had OverDrive turned on in the Catalyst Control thing, you would get flickering garbage on every monitor except the primary one. The only way to fix it was to reflash the firmware with a raised power-saving-underclock floor, or disable OverDrive completely in the control panel.

It may have been fixed in cats >12.00, but it's definitely fixed in the 6000 series hardware.

MS, what card are you using for the 4 monitors? I don't know about old games but their drivers work perfectly fine as far as my friends and I know (we have AMD cards)?? o.O

Edited by `angerfist

It wasnt all the cards as my 5770 doesnt show the same issue MS has, and as stated its supposedly been fixed since the 6xxx series.

Hey again, guys, another question for you fine folks

I was looking at a HIS 7970 ( http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19122 ) and apparently because it's a reference card (?) it can have bad coil whine. Now, I've just discovered this phenomenon and my question to you gents is, is it something that you can avoid and if not, is it manageable? Watching some videos on youtube showing cards whining, it really seems like it'd be something that'd annoy me.

Hey again, guys, another question for you fine folks

I was looking at a HIS 7970 ( http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19122 ) and apparently because it's a reference card (?) it can have bad coil whine. Now, I've just discovered this phenomenon and my question to you gents is, is it something that you can avoid and if not, is it manageable? Watching some videos on youtube showing cards whining, it really seems like it'd be something that'd annoy me.

Sometimes mixing hardware can produce coil whine. EG: PSU can coil whine, GPU can coil whine, each can do it separately, sometimes not at all for either...most of the time Im sure there is little to none.

Putting a non-coil whining GPU in a system with a non-coil whining PSU can inadvertantly produce coil whine in the PSU or GPU. Dont ask me how or why, but it can happen.

If every card did it out of the box then I'm sure they'd be fixing it straight away. But its pretty selective...

Other FYI - My gigabyte WF3 7950 coil whines slightly, not when idling, not when heavily maxed out 60fps, but more when Im running an older/less intensive app that produces 1000+fps, those huge fps ranges seem to be the only time I can hear it coil whine.

Its noticeable to me, having headphones on late at night I cant really hear it when I have other sounds happening, but I think if I concentrate I could.

As far as overclocking, pick of the litter for some cards, runt of the litter for others, silicon lottery. I can do 1200/1800 from 900/1250, not saying if I bought another it may only do 1100/1550 before giving problems..

Online Magazine/Youtube Reviewers usually overclock their cards and you can get a general idea what gains are to be had (usually minimal) The only time I see it worthy, if your struggling for 30fps, and need the extra 3-15fps boost.

Having 55fps or more, why bother overclocking (unless chasing a benchmark score)

Before the 12.11 catalyst drivers, pushing FPS higher on the 7950 for BF3 I was overclocking to maintain 60+fps maxed out, from 45-50fps average. Drivers brought me to that 55-65fps point over time and now Its back to stock clocks.

Edited by drawesome

It may have been fixed in cats >12.00, but it's definitely fixed in the 6000 series hardware.

Its still around. google for the error and see what cards its on.

Its just moved from "all of them" to "the unlucky ones" but its still not gone entirely :(

"ATI has Crossfire, which is far superior to SLI"

Id say that current gen AMD cards have better scaling atm, but SLI has much faster(earlier) and better driver support across more games. Crossfire can take upto 2 months to get game support and at time there beta driver make crossfire perform worse than a single card. Crossfire also has higher level of micro shuttering due to its design. So saying cross fire is far Superior is a bit far fetched and just sounds fanboy'ish.

if in your case and budget take a look at the pro's and con's of the card within your budget and make sure you find out about there driver support, and which games you play to see which one works the best. crossfire doesn't always perform in the same games sli does. But that's a mixture of driver & game engines. It just comes down to research and if you able to over see the down sides to multi card setups.

Edited by Modz