Sign in to follow this  
peter_4059

Eyefinity considerations?

Considering adding a couple of additional monitors and giving Eyefinity a try. I currently have an ASUS 24" VS248H running at 1920x1080 and as these are still available I'd plan to get two more so all three monitors are identical. Desk space would mean portrait mode would be the ideal configuration although landscape would also be possible with a bit of room rearrangement. I'd probably get something like the Aavara TS743 Triple Monitor Stand to do portrait mode.

Main games are Black Ops (1/2), Planetside and Crysis (1/2/3). The computer has a Sapphire HD7870 GHZ OC Edition GPU that is supposed to support up to 6 monitors. I'm just wondering if there are any other considerations before taking the plunge? Am I going to need to reduce graphics settings to achieve reasonable frame rates? Is Eyefinity reliable or are there software/driver issues?

Cheers,

Peter

whatever frame rate you are getting now divide that by 3 and you have a rough idea of the performance hit i doubt a single 7870 would cope with the likes of crysis im running cf 7970 and crysis at 8000x1440 isnt very smooth

combining multiple monitors with dual cards can bring along extra driver problems

Hi # monitors is a pain in the arse. i have a 27inch samsumsung 950d i purchased another samsung cheap 27inch bu the bezel is thick and doesnt feel right and i have an old 19 inch lcd 1280x1024 i tried to hook all 3 up nothing but drama. I have a 7950. It seem for now 27inch is the limit unless you want to spend the big bucks. I cant even get my 3d working i have found out the glasses it came with suck. i need new ones waste of money i think.

COD games don't do eyefinity.

You'll most likely have to drop the graphics down a bit to get it to work right.

I use a 5850 and have it setup for eyefinity, it ran Bad Company 2 fine in eyefinity mode, BF3 not so much.

Portrait mode really would work nicely if the monitors are all the same, I find you are looking to much around in landscape eyefinity mode.

In most cases games will handle eyefinity, the bit that fails is the UI, it often doesn't play nice with the larger screen res, with either being put right out to the side monitors or going all stretchy.