Flouncy

Assetto Corsa

Kunos released another preview shot of the F40, to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the great Enzo Ferrari's passing.

Posted Image

Ok, I've found the skill selector now. In Pro with no assists I'm really close to cracking 1:27. Really enjoying the "feel" the car allows. I know I'll get a little quicker yet but frig me, low 1:25's Soj. You utter , utter bastard :p

OK so, with Stability all the way on, I am at 1.25.194.

With it all the way off, I am in the high 1.26's.

I found that the time driving with stability helped a huge amount, and taught me where the racing line is, the braking points are, and how fast you should be through each bit. Then, turning stability off I found about 2 seconds. But, keeping it under control and not fucking up is the big thing, I can only get 1 clean lap in 5 with the aids off.

Oh, and I did this totally boss drift on one lap, at the corner just before the back straight. Took the entry way too fast, but somehow stuck it and high revved in 2nd and just slid right round, till I hit the rumble strips and the tyres bit. it was like Kimi at Hungary, man did it feel good. Not the quickest way round, but easily the most fun :P

Edited by Ploddy

Ok gave this a burl.

Quite interesting. Dunno how accurate the physics are but they're definitely there hehe

Went at it in practice mode non stop for 60 odd laps, started with assists for the first 10 laps or so to feel my way around, then disabled them and kept getting faster.

My consistency was pretty bad all round but on average without assists was banging in 1:27-28 times if I didn't go off track.

Fastest time was 1:26.766

There's a good 0.5 to 0.7 sec in 1st half of track I can find but cannot keep consistently enough to string it all together, let alone hold for last half.

Pretty good it seems, with the 360 game pad and all ;)

Where's the hand brake? Ripping it into 1st to get the back end out on change up to 2nd :p

EDIT: I think I may have left stability on 100% all the time. Forgot about that one.

Edited by mark84

@E.T not me buddy. Millens is the man to beat.

I'm using manual clutch and H pattern which is costing me .500 a lap easy but my The fast and the furious shifting style is getting there now

1.26.1 tonight. I can see extra time all over the place just so hard to get it altogether, I love it.

Good times guys. Ima give this a. Crack tonight.

I too use the hshifter, heel toe, no assists - no astability etc

I cant wait to test the multiplayer side of this. God I hope it stacks up. Seriously starting to think though, does this in fact offer anything over and above what iRacing already is. I just want the competitive fun without the technical hangovers (I'm looking at you CM) fucking up peoples day.

et_rom, I think the difference is $$$. I've spent fuck knows... (27 cars - 5 free @ USD$12 each and 45 tracks - 6 free @ between USD$12 and USD$15 each) ... near USD$750 + subscription fees of around $10 a month for the last two and a half years.. so that's what, about $1000 on iRacing software - not counting the crazy hardware spend in the last 30 months. The saving grace being it's basically the only game I play and I fracking love it - best "game" ever :)

That said, you can have the same "competitive fun" with just the basic content. ie $10 a month, racing on a few tracks. iRacing has by far the best port of real life motorsport to virtual. It's hard to impress upon people that don't know iRacing just how indepth it is and how good the league stuff is. But I think you've really gotta be into it.

AC has arguably better physics and is MUCH cheaper. I think think it'll be a long time, if ever, before it offers the same product as iRacing, but then, you guys already have a platform of sorts, so that's not really a problem, especially if all you're looking for is something without a 'bubble'.

Holy crap Rob.In that case, iRacing is out and AC needs to deliver me something ASAP :)

$1000 over 30 months is $33 a month. Cheaper than a gym membership, or a golf membership, or pretty much any other sporting activity. Fuck loads cheaper than real racing...

I've also budgetted for what will be $4300 for the sim rig (non hydraulic), not counting the computer, once I've got all the bits I currently want (I've already got about half of those $4300 worth of bits). $4300 is about a decent road bike for cycling or a good set of golf clubs, or a really crappy real life kart :D But the rig can be used with any games, include AC and ETS2...

Played some more. Sure is addictive!

Turned Stability to 0% and all of a sudden couldn't corner properly, I like my engine braking but with stability at 0% I just do 180's at every corner.

I guess all the down shifting has to be done before turn in? If so, it's boring and feels slow, I want flare! ;p

Setting Stability control to 50% was more fun, better than 100% but not as harsh as 0%.

Got a time of 1:25.8 or so.

haha Mark84. Welcome to realistic driving :p You don't change gears while turning.

It's also bad to use engine braking - that causes engine breaking (HAHAHAHA)

Those Speed Secrets books go into detail on why the engine shouldn't be used for braking and why gear shifts shouldn't be done in corners. Obviously shifting in corners will upset the balance of the car - the books explain how the balance is effected and why the grip changes and at what wheels, when this is done! The problem will be more noticeable as you move further from an F1 car and more toward a "normal" car like the Lotus in AC. I'm incrementally apply these "Speed Secrets" (as Ros Bently likes to call them) to my driving of the MP4-12C in iRacing and my times are coming down and results getting better. It works!

Yeah. I think you're close flouncy... Haha.

So many little subtle sounds in there, if you didn't know it was from a game it would be hard to tell.

Love the off throttle pops and hisses, no two really sound the same, very 'organic'.

Hopefully some of the meatier cars sounds can live up to the v8s from iRacing. The caddy and V8 supercar on that are super nice.

Best I could manage after about 45 minutes practice on Pro (no stability control). My Delta told me I was headed for a 1:24.9 as I came down the back straight but I fucked up the 2nd sector. Take my best two sectors and I'm doing 1:25.1.

Both sets of times are with completely stock setup (ie tyre pressures)

With Stability Control at 0%

Posted Image

I had a crack with Stability Control at 100% this morning (the day after the effort above).... My computer locked up when I tried to switch to desktop to open FRAPS and take a recording. So improvised with my iPad :p

Posted Image

A few points of found with in comparison to how I drive iRacing:

- I have to brake harder - that is, push the pedal down harder (load cell) than with my MP4-12C to get it to stop at anything like a decent rate.

- I started by trying to be as smooth as possible, as I would in iRacing, not running over kerbs (they're big suckers at this track in AC!) but that wasn't working. I found the style that works with Stability Control on is to drive it like you stole it, brake hard as fuck, and just throw the car at the apex/kerb and hold on. The Stability Control will sort it out. My drive with the stability control off was much more like iRacing, smooth. As you can see by the times, it's definitely much easier (and more fun because pretty much 0 concentration is required) with the Stability Control on 100%.

... I know I've got a 1:24.5 in me... :)

Edited by kikz

Turns out of I've got a 1:24.585 in me :p

here's the vid. I added the some displays to show what gear, how much throttle & brake etc.

You can see by the brake/clutch/throttle graphs that I don't have aides on - or they'd be flickering like mad as the computer regulates the brake (ABS) and traction control regulates the throttle.

I'm also heel-toeing and manually blipping the throttle on shifts. Good fun!

Edited by kikz

Nice lap dude, impressive control out of the corners. I find I am a tad too aggressive on the throttle on the outs and lose the back a lot.

G

Turns out of I've got a 1:24.585 in me :p

here's the vid. I added the some displays to show what gear, how much throttle & brake etc.

You can see by the brake/clutch/throttle graphs that I don't have aides on - or they'd be flickering like mad as the computer regulates the brake (ABS) and traction control regulates the throttle.

I'm also heel-toeing and manually blipping the throttle on shifts. Good fun!

HAXX !

:p

Nice lap Rob.

Edited by et_rom

Haha I just did a 1:24.3 with all stability control off... :p Getting used to the physics. The technique I am using now, with stablity off is to ride the clutch a bit in some of the corners to get the slide going a bit better as well as to not lock the wheels so much or transfer weight so quickly. Only just figured that one out. Aiming for a 1:23.xxx now :)

OK so, here's a thing. I thought I'd fire up TrackIR for this, just for giggles, and apart from being epic fun, turns out I'm quicker with it.

Yup.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to spot apexes and control the turn-in. You basically track your head round to spot it (triplescreen), then gently ease the car in to follow, slowly turning the head back to square as you go through. So natural, so much easier to control, so much faster / consistent and sooooo much more fun. It's like it forces you to maintain smooth action throughout and so helps you keep the car balanced. Plus, you can see your mirrors better - doesn't matter shit in the demo, but it will come race day.

Wow. No, really. Quite a lot of wow.

I have no idea why it works here and not on F12012, but there you have it.

Flouncy / others, what's been your expereince here?

OK so, here's a thing. I thought I'd fire up TrackIR for this, just for giggles, and apart from being epic fun, turns out I'm quicker with it.

Yup.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to spot apexes and control the turn-in. You basically track your head round to spot it (triplescreen), then gently ease the car in to follow, slowly turning the head back to square as you go through. So natural, so much easier to control, so much faster / consistent and sooooo much more fun. It's like it forces you to maintain smooth action throughout and so helps you keep the car balanced. Plus, you can see your mirrors better - doesn't matter shit in the demo, but it will come race day.

Haven't tried it on AC yet, but I've used it on iRacing and F1 2012 - on both games I have a tendency to massively understeer when I use it. I only use a single screen (my triple screens are here but the obutto doesn't arrive til Thursday) at the moment, I'm wondering if it's partly because of the need to turn your head but keep your eyes forward? It doesn't quite allow you to really lean into the corner. It's also possible I am just a spaz...

G

Yup.

Do you mean Track IR in F1 vs Dirt?

Can't really say re Dirt, would have only played a couple of hours of that game, wasn't a huge fan. But in F1 I don't think it makes me faster, perhaps even slightly slower - certainly so when compared to t-cam cheats (trackIR doesn't work in t-cam btw). But it's more immersive and cooler, and that's the priority for me.