Flouncy

Assetto Corsa

But it's more immersive and cooler, and that's the priority for me.

so, kinda like manual clutching and h-shifter (immerisve and realistic) :)

also, now I've speed a good few hours playing AC yesterday, I'm thinking iRacing has a real competitor, just with AC as is, given the physics and graphics are what they are in AC. That's not including whatever method they'll implement to handle the PvP , leagues, etc.

Edited by kikz

Haven't tried it on AC yet, but I've used it on iRacing and F1 2012 - on both games I have a tendency to massively understeer when I use it. I only use a single screen (my triple screens are here but the obutto doesn't arrive til Thursday) at the moment, I'm wondering if it's partly because of the need to turn your head but keep your eyes forward? It doesn't quite allow you to really lean into the corner. It's also possible I am just a spaz...

G

You know, this makes sense. In AC, you are actually looking and turning the head, which is the way it should be done. Using the full scope of the 3 screens. Just like the pro kept barking at me on my ferrari day. On righthand corners, i am looking to the far edge of the right hand screen, which i never did in F1 Thats where the mirror is too btw.

Tried it in AC with eyefinity, you're right Plods, it's friggin' awesome. Don't seem to be understeering off into the gravel (I have also played with the sensitivity so that might have helped too), you get a very natural feel with it.

G

Yay! Finally got my lap time down under the slow 1:30 mark - best lap is a 1:28.8. Starting to get the hang of the heel-n-toe.

G

Nice job GreyG. I haven't fired it up for a while now... need another car... :p

Here's some new video and screenshots.

Watch the way the Pagani powerslides out of corners and the way the driver is able to catch it and push on, very natural looking...

Posted Image

- Makes me want to make car noises just looking at it...

Some Lotus Exige S preview screenshots - feel the wind in your hair...

Edited by millen

Nice little flame spit at the end of the video.

It's looking better every day, this game. I am officially over waiting, I want it now.

Ya. Same. I'm going to live on this thing for a while.

I'm looking forward to the variety of cars that aren't 100% race cars. It'll be nice to thrash fuck out of road going cars.

I picked up the tech demo for this the other day, I havn't had a chance to set up the race wheel and give it a good go yet, but i did have a quick go with an xbox controller. The best i could do was a 1:28. The physics are very... physicsy, i don't think i've played a proper racing sim before.

Taken from VirtualR

Kunos Simulazioni recently invited Italian racing ace Alessandro Balzan into their offices to try their Assetto Corsa title.

Balzan is an accomplished Italian racing driver, competing in the Italian GT Championshio as well as several other racing series.

Here’s his report:

Today, thanks to the staff of Assetto Corsa and Luca Casarotto, I had the opportunity to test their simulator.

I’d like to state that I’m not paid by Kunos Simulazione, except for the coffee, and indeed I’d like to thank them for their commitment and dedication. I’m looking forward to buy a copy immediately.

The impression, never had with other simulators, is the feeling of the car, the feel of the tyres / adhesion and especially not having to do “forced” trajectories where the grip is higher. I started at Imola, professional bias, with the 458 gt2, the car with which I won the 6h Vallelunga in real life.

In terms of graphics the combination of track/car give a staggering result, but I do not give that much importance to the beauty. I go out of the pits on cold tires and forcing immediately I can feel that the car is not ready .. taking it easy for 2-3 laps and apart than overshooting the braking point a couple of times, I never go in spin. It’s not me that is good but the fact that I finally feel so gradually the loss of grip on the gas. Counter steering gives an obvious waste of laptime, but also big satisfaction for having controlled oversteer in third and fourth gear.

I could never drive like this right out of the box with any simulator, 5-6 consecutive laps without crashing heavily somewhere. Sorry in advance for the long post, I will add details if anyone is interested.

Trying the 599xxEvo, that I’ve really driven, the admiration for Assetto Corsa increases. From the sound to the violence of the acceleration, to the active rear wing, stunning in the replays… and then a bit of vintage Lotus Senna (98T) where you are brainwashed… manual gearbox, locking the wheels, turbo lag… thank god for modern electronics! Beautiful and cursed at the same time.

Changing to the road car BMW M3 where Aris gave me a little lesson on drifting… you can appreciate the drive-ability and the sincerity of the steering wheel even more.. Watching the replay at Magione of car drifting, let you speechless, but not with me driving eh!!

I have one word to describe Assetto Corsa. SENSATIONAL CORSA! I’d like to thank all the guys at Assetto Corsa for the opportunity. Last thing, I wanted to write what I really think based on my real life experience, so it should be taken as a free personal thinking that you might agree or not! Ciao!

Plus a new Lotus has been revealed as being included in the sim, the 2010 'Lotus Exige Scura' - read about it here.

I would just like a release date or Pre-Order date, surely it can't be far off... I hope...

One of iRacing's biggest (the biggest) complaint in the physics and realism is the way their tyre model treats cold tyres and degrading grid. iRacing's tyre model still doesn't require drivers to slowly heat their tyres, bringing them up to temperature. It's getting better, but if AC has that straight out of the box (and from what I can tell by displaying tyre temps while driving and while stopped, they do) then it's got a leg up in the realism department.

Got my lap time down to mid 1:27s with all aids off, manual clutch and H-shifter. Still working on my blipping technique but getting it (close to) right a lot more regularly now. Amazing how much time you can lose just running practice laps in the one car on the one track - kinda makes me worried how much time it will eat up when it's a full release!

G

No different than any other serious sim :p Or even F1 201x (haha sorry if I offended 99% of people who will read this post). Practice all week for a race on weekend

It'll probs be all the same car with different skins... I'd expect very good skinning support on release too.

So, what's the latest news here? Supposedly pre-orders were meant to start this month. There is only a week to go in September and I wants my precious.

Yeah still waiting on the pre order details, and as you say, only a week left. I'm expecting they won't quite be on time. It is Kunos...

Other than that they have been pretty quite lately, apart from the Ferrari 312t announcement. So everyone is assuming they are working hard to get the pre order details sorted and all that jazz.

Hopefully they come through for everyone though. As I too, want my precious.

Check the new atomic forums for my Assetto Corsa thread. Its not done yet... But I'll get there.

**Ninja Edit**

...And what do you know. Seconds after posting this. Went and checked VirtualR... And found this...

Pre orders delayed...

Could be a while yet...

Edited by millen

I know Ploddy, I know... :(

Even just an updated Tech demo with another car and track... please? anything!

We'll have to start an Assetto Corsa support group if this takes any longer...

In the meantime, I only have Dirt3, Project CARS, NetKar Pro, Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light, Richard Burns Rally, RAGE, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Dead Space, Portal 2, Amnesia, Brutal Legend, Grand theft Auto 4, soon probably GTA 5, as well as Uncharted 3... All games I own and have not finished or played anywhere near enough of...

Yet still I yearn for Assetto Corsa...

Edited by millen