Flouncy

Atomic F1 GP1 Season 7

Thanks Ghosty. I'm looking for noob settings Tof, needs to be something people feel they're in control of intuitively the moment the sit down.

So any extra advice there from anyone, or tweaks to what Ghost posted much appreciated.

Like, whenever, dude.

If Slizzer can sort his account out I can talk with him about possibly teaming up and which team to drive for. Edited by mark84

Hey does anyone have the DVD version?

Does it auto patch when connected to the net? I can't find a patch download anywhere, have several machines to update and they're all DVD versions.

Pretty sure you can only patch via steam, they didn't use any external patches like they did last time. Was part of the reason to move to steam being able to rollout patches faster.

What is with those settings Ghost?

Seems mighty weird. 50% brake and throttle dead zone? Massive feedback strength and wheel weights... You crazy man, you crazy.

But whatever works I guess, your definitely faster than I am, so who am I to judge... :D

What is with those settings Ghost?

Seems mighty weird. 50% brake and throttle dead zone? Massive feedback strength and wheel weights... You crazy man, you crazy.

But whatever works I guess, your definitely faster than I am, so who am I to judge... :D

Oh wow, just noticed that. Maybe he has sausage feet, too...?

And yep, cheers DVD = Steam = patch. ta.

Being steam, you could maybe just backup the game from your steam profile and restore it on each PC, or just directly copy the steam folder to each (then force steam to verify files so it gets the idea all the files are now there). Saves the patching n stuffs. Edited by mark84

Being steam, you could maybe just backup the game from your steam profile and restore it on each PC, or just directly copy the steam folder to each (then force steam to verify files so it gets the idea all the files are now there). Saves the patching n stuffs.

Nah. The copies are already bought, and we'll probably have LAN racing, possibly, so likely need unique installs for that.

Being steam, you could maybe just backup the game from your steam profile and restore it on each PC, or just directly copy the steam folder to each (then force steam to verify files so it gets the idea all the files are now there). Saves the patching n stuffs.

Nah. The copies are already bought, and we'll probably have LAN racing, possibly, so likely need unique installs for that.

I don't think you can do LAN racing with no net either. Pretty sure the invite system is still via Steam friends list still.

I don't think you can do LAN racing with no net either. Pretty sure the invite system is still via Steam friends list still.

Ohh. Thanks for that!

Millen, don't ever take anything I say seriously. I spout shit constantly.

Flouncy, whatever you are doing, I expect pictures of it all setup. Sounds like a fun thing to be doing. The jobs some people have..... :P

@Flouncy

I ran a F1 2012 comp at a lan recently, and yes i'll confirm what Lambo said. you need the net & online steam mode for it to work.

Things to keep in mind is that we found is that the lobbies where very sensitive to lan network traffic, ie leeching over the same network. (even if the pc running the game where not the ones doing or receiving it) This lead to some server drop out and user disconnects. It was fixed when we setup a separate mini network only connected directly to the internet hub and not the main lan backbone network. (but that was our case with around 80-100 sized gigabit network)

From what mark said about getting an upto date install via other peoples install. All you need is the following.

1# Bring a copy of your full upto date install steamapps/common/F1 2012 directory.

2# Start the game install from DVD on all new machines so that the correct keys are activated on each steam account,

3# stop the install once it's started data transfer from dvd.

4# close steam & copy your steamapps/common/F1 2012 files across correctly.

5# re-open steam & run the check local game cache for F1 2012.

This will find the game data and will sort out the rest, avoiding the full install and multiple patch it will do. All you need to do is make sure you have all the correct dvd keys for each separate install, and steam doesn't care where you get the actually game files from. This will not use any personal user data or your key etc, only the pure game data.

IF you do the normal DVD install and wait for steam to auto patch, it wont update the game with 1 big patch, it will do some of them 1 by 1 and only after the games finished updating from other previous patches. This can take ages.

*Also I'll add, make sure other users outside of the F1 2012 comp are not using the net to an extent that it also causes lag, we had issues with people downloading steam games at the lan clogging up the bandwidth. if there is a good admin who knows his stuff he'll know how to block people correctly from steam downloads and other internet use anyway. There is a way to enable steam to login online, but block users from downloading games, but still have access to online game servers.

Edited by Modz

Lordy. ok forget all that. Single player it is.

Doing a thing for an Alienware stand at the Top Gear event at Eastern Creek. 4 x sim rigs. Will just have em single player.

ah, dammit codemasters.

Would have been cool to organise an AtomicF1 meet and set up a heap of rigs for us to use... But I guess the distances for us would be too far... Maybe one day...

That's what Flouncy is doin Millen. The generous bastard is flying us all down(or up for you Mexicans) to Eastern Creek for an exhibition race. To show people how us real professionals race(Schmeval is not invited though, he makes us look like amatuers, sorry Schmeve).

Good onya Flouncy. Top bloke that guy. But I refuse to go if you have it as single player. Pick ya act up aye. Technology writer, pfft.

I do think a meet and greet BBQ would be kool. I think most of us are used to travel for work at some point and maybe with months of notice be able to afford a one off weekend maybe? maybe even at an atomic event (if they still plan to have them)

Edited by Modz

I do think a meet and greet BBQ would be kool. I think most of us are used to travel for work at some point and maybe with months of notice be able to afford a one off weekend maybe? maybe even at an atomic event (if they still plan to have them)

Yeah, it'd be fully awesome. But harder to organise than a GP season starting date :}

I think we should organise a get together event for the end of this season and the launch of F1 2013, seems like they are two good reasons to get together.

The logistics can't be that hard... ;)

Lordy. ok forget all that. Single player it is.

Doing a thing for an Alienware stand at the Top Gear event at Eastern Creek. 4 x sim rigs. Will just have em single player.

It's simple steps really, you'll be standing around just waiting for files to copy more than anything else. If you've done a steam game restore before, that's all there is to it.

If there's no net connection then yeah you'd be stuffed getting multiplayer going.

Also, if doing single player, perhaps make sure you've set steam into offline mode prior on each. Should take any network issues completely out of equation that might stop steam or the game from running. (Might need to check if the game actually starts in offline mode, haven't tried it)

I was going to ask how many people are making the treck down to melb for the f1. Would be cool to meet up and maybe hit up a gokart track too

I was playing around for hour the other day getting my wheel fixed up and have found a really sweat setting. Will post in tonight when on next.

Slizzer is quick and when racing him online had no lag or buble so all looks good.

Watch the first few laps, specially the first one as I part the seas and pass 4 cars into one turn.

I was going to ask how many people are making the treck down to melb for the f1. Would be cool to meet up and maybe hit up a gokart track too

Theres an indoor slotcar track in dandenong. :p