Flouncy

Atomic F1 GP1 Season 7

thanks for that Mark. I didn't bother looking further because the set of rules for F1 do not apply to all racing. EG some racing categories don't have blue flags, and some categories interpret blue flags differently. As far as I've been able to find out, there is a general set of rules as well as etiquette that applies to all categories of racing. That's information I've got from multiple sources including the FIA F1 rules, books on racecraft and driving coaching, and from forum posts by professional race drivers. That makes it hard to cite one authoritative reference. It's just something I've come to learn through experience. Having said that, I'm still not 100% sure of it myself. It seems that the rules are very much series dependent, and I expect you guys follow the FIA F1 set of rules :)

There are a bunch of really high quality books on all this (driver coaching and the "rules" of racing) which may be really interesting reading for any race fan (I read them cover to cover, loved them).

Speed Secrets

Speed Secrets II

Going Faster

and this one I haven't read (or bought) yet

Ultimate Speed Secrets

tof, I'm not sure how often you guys experience "bubble" problems with F1 2012, but I honestly think I've had maybe 2 occassions of this on iRacing, out of over 550 races. (Hopefully AC and other cheaper/free games are equally better than Codemasters offerings).

Also, in the scope of how we conduct ourselves in FNP, lol at section E :p

If you can't let it hang out a bit in practice, what's the point :p Edited by kikz

tof, I'm not sure how often you guys experience "bubble" problems with F1 2012, but I honestly think I've had maybe 2 occassions of this on iRacing, out of over 550 races. (Hopefully AC and other cheaper/free games are equally better than Codemasters offerings).

Sadly, The Bubble has been a constant companion in the F1 201X games.

G

There are a bunch of really high quality books on all this (driver coaching and the "rules" of racing) which may be really interesting reading for any race fan (I read them cover to cover, loved them).

Ultimate Speed Secrets

Thanks for the heads up kikz, bought this one, because there was an ebook available via kindle store. Also, hopefully it kinda summarises the others. Can't wait to get into it.

Ultimate Speed Secrets

Thanks for the heads up kikz, bought this one, because there was an ebook available via kindle store. Also, hopefully it kinda summarises the others. Can't wait to get into it.

heh yeh. The customer reviews seem to indicate that the Ultimate Speed Secrets is basically Speed Secrets and Speed Secrets II in the one book. Sounds good then. Those two books (especially the first) were fantastic.

SKIP TO 20:00 For the action to really begin.

Had a pretty good run in RaceCentre's Race To Reality - iRacing Heat #12.

I was dicing with the leader for 40 straight minutes, not one moment were we more than 1 second apart. Brilliant stuff. Now I've got an entry into the iRacing final, which the top 2 of that race will receive a golden ticket.

For anyone who doesn't know about the Race To Reality they're running, have a look for yourself here: http://www.racecentre.com/race-to-reality/

Section B has an interesting and relatively new rule which I completely forgot about:

"Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner."

This seems to be regardless of whether a significant part of the attacking car is beside you or not and it makes sense for the reasons seemingly stated here earlier. Once someone defends a line, the other person is likely to commit to an alternative line which may need different braking markers and if those markers are then interrupted, accidents are more likely to happen and be unavoidable. So that's for real time racing, put it into the context of games and another factor comes into it - netcode. I don't see why anyone would want to push their luck given the risk of accident already without netcode/bubble amplifying it...

This is what I was talking about. No point being the quicker driver behind, when the leading driver can just leverage their way back onto the racing line. I think the most incidents of Net code problems happen at the beginning of the race, anyway, when everyone is closely bunched together in the same space...my 2 cents

Well done Slizz, and I just watched a few mins of the vid, incredible stuff. There's an iracing thread here somewhere btw. Don't forget to let us know how you go in the final.

Just watched the whole thing Slizz (from 20.00 onwards). Incredible. How you two kept your cool and did it all without a single imperfection is fantastic. Up there with the best sim racing I've ever seen.

What gear are you using?

Nice job SlizzeR. I didn't even know this was on - Although I've seen various replays on my youtube feed - not that I'd have competed. My life is a little nuts right now :(

58.849 is a great lap at LRP !- as we were discussing in the iRacing thread

Keeping up with Andrew Le, you're doing well :) I'm in the thick of it with him every week in the Grand Am series. He's currently qualified 0.3s faster than me at Kansas (the current track). Bloody quick driver - a good bit quicker than me and one of the best Australian iRacing has, at least in Grand Am (> 5000 iRating and a win rate of 37% from 368 races is awesome).

Your friend invite on iRacing, that's me.

Edited by kikz

Cheers guys :3 Wow you watched the entire thing Flouncy?! I'll let you guys know when the stream is going live for the final. Yeah Kikz, I had a look at his profile during practice & saw that has was pretty damn good. They didn't show our practice times but I'll show you just how similar our practice/qualli times were.

Posted Image

Both Andrew & I almost set the exact same qualli time, as our practice times.

Check out our average lap times for the race too!

I also accepted your friend request Rob :P

Nice job! I woulda qualified 3rd going of my best time at lrp set ages ago

Nice job! I woulda qualified 3rd going of my best time at lrp set ages ago

^^^^^^

I wanted to let everyone know of a few things that millen and I are working on in the background for not only next season, but Atomic F1 in general.

So a few big news items to begin with.

You may notice a new banner on the site, and a new logo down the bottom for Fanatec. That's because I've been speaking with them and we have been granted affiliate status. What does this mean? It basically means in return for the banner ads on the site, any clicks that lead to a purchase for Fanatec products can potentially generate a commission to us. That commission I can return to the buyer (granted they are a member) for what essentially equates to a discount, and if you know anything about the pricing on Fanatec gear is unheard of. Alternatively, and I'll explain later why, if this was to be the case, you may consider donating this to us.

Second news is that Thrustmaster are likely (I haven't got the official nod just at this second but I'm fairly confident) to continue their relationship with us. The bigger news on this is that fingers crossed, after two seasons receiving the TH8RS, we may very well be getting the full shabang this season. A T500 wheel, pedal, and F1 addon. But nothing confirmed yet.

So onto the other big news. There is a new website in the works. Weebly has done it's job of giving us a presence but it's limitations are now very much proving a problem. More time is spent updating it then is required and I want to free up that time doing other things. (Like racing). Creating a new site update has presented us with an opportunity. F1 has always been my favourite genre, but it's clear there many new games, other formats that are just as popular amongst us.

So going forward, Atomic F1 will become Atomic Sim Racing. We already have the domain (www.atomicsimracing.net) which currently directs to the current site. The new site will provide the basis for not only F1, but other games and genre's. Multiple championships from different disciplines and games. F1 20XX will continue but will not be the only game we'll offer.

With the new site, will come all the technical cool stuff we desperately need and expect, databases, PHP forums, the full 9 yards.

The goal is to build a community, and like any community project I encourage input or even help. millen has taken the lead on many of this and I know he'll do a great job, but there is no doubt it's a daunting ambitious endeavour so we certainly will welcome any assistance the Atomic F1 crew can supply.

There is no specific deadline for this, it's early days and very much will be a work in progress for some time. If you have any questions, suggestions or want to lend a hand in any way shape or form, let me know.

Just a note left here for any GP1 dudes who don't know - we're doing a bit of Dirt 3 fun this coming Sunday night, details in the GP2 thread.

lawls coincidence we also just got fanatec affiliation at vortex simracing yesterday.

Good job. I think it's a 10% discount, plus credit for page impressions etc.

someone should setup a twitch.tv stream...

Edited by kikz

Cool I haven't been on here for a while and all this awesome new stuff is coming out sweet. I finish my VCE this year so after that i'm interested in joining one of your leagues full time something I've never been able to do.

Hi Tim, we're between-seasons right now but will likely start a new F1 season fairly soon after the game comes out in early Oct. Keep an eye out here.

Posted Image

Car Class: 90's Rally

1st Tier

2 groups of racers divided up from total entrants (dirt3 max per group is 8) - run all 5 stages of Finnish Rally

2nd Tier

Top 3 from each advance to 2nd tier/finals - run 5 stages again to determine overall results.

All assists off, except auto gearbox

We've got 8-9 people interested already, so we'll work out the 1st tier groups on the night when we have final numbers. Group division will be random.

Sorry for the late notice of posting this in here guys, I just assumed you all probably would have read the GP2 thread as well. :D

Edited by millen

Tell em the time, son!

It's 8 isn't it? Personally I think it should be 7 to give us more margin before Spa, and to allow fuckaround fun in tag mode after.

e: oh. there's the time right there in the poster.. :)

ee: can non-finalists spectate?

Edited by Flouncy

I wanted to let everyone know of a few things that millen and I are working on in the background for not only next season, but Atomic F1 in general.

So a few big news items to begin with.

You may notice a new banner on the site, and a new logo down the bottom for Fanatec. That's because I've been speaking with them and we have been granted affiliate status. What does this mean? It basically means in return for the banner ads on the site, any clicks that lead to a purchase for Fanatec products can potentially generate a commission to us. That commission I can return to the buyer (granted they are a member) for what essentially equates to a discount, and if you know anything about the pricing on Fanatec gear is unheard of. Alternatively, and I'll explain later why, if this was to be the case, you may consider donating this to us.

Second news is that Thrustmaster are likely (I haven't got the official nod just at this second but I'm fairly confident) to continue their relationship with us. The bigger news on this is that fingers crossed, after two seasons receiving the TH8RS, we may very well be getting the full shabang this season. A T500 wheel, pedal, and F1 addon. But nothing confirmed yet.

So onto the other big news. There is a new website in the works. Weebly has done it's job of giving us a presence but it's limitations are now very much proving a problem. More time is spent updating it then is required and I want to free up that time doing other things. (Like racing). Creating a new site update has presented us with an opportunity. F1 has always been my favourite genre, but it's clear there many new games, other formats that are just as popular amongst us.

So going forward, Atomic F1 will become Atomic Sim Racing. We already have the domain (www.atomicsimracing.net) which currently directs to the current site. The new site will provide the basis for not only F1, but other games and genre's. Multiple championships from different disciplines and games. F1 20XX will continue but will not be the only game we'll offer.

With the new site, will come all the technical cool stuff we desperately need and expect, databases, PHP forums, the full 9 yards.

The goal is to build a community, and like any community project I encourage input or even help. millen has taken the lead on many of this and I know he'll do a great job, but there is no doubt it's a daunting ambitious endeavour so we certainly will welcome any assistance the Atomic F1 crew can supply.

There is no specific deadline for this, it's early days and very much will be a work in progress for some time. If you have any questions, suggestions or want to lend a hand in any way shape or form, let me know.

That is some awesome news for the Atomic racing community Lambo.

Speaking of other disciplines my self and another mate are looking at setting up a once a month casual special event mini series (6-8 races) based around the Classic mode of F1 2013. No ladder or points involved, just rock up jump in a seat and race around a classic track using the classic car of your choice*, against others. All for the fun and enjoyment of racing the classics. Since there is not a full grid of classic car's, we are presuming multiple people can use the same car or the entire grid use the same car. As it has been stated full use of the classics is enabled in multiplayer online. (but the final game will tell)

*The small amount of structure (and more for the fun of it) is each events track, car era (or car model) & weather will be determined by a poll of votes the week leading up to the event. The only limiting factor is we can't run the exact same setting the next event. We will also do an early poll for which time/day suites everyone. So one race could be Friday evening, the next could be Saturday night. It all depends on when you want to race But it will be limited to a monthly cycle and of course worked around your other racing commitments.

Presuming we can run custom rules for the classic content online, we will run it in a similar fashion to how the GP2 guys race. Meaning if you use a controller & driving assists like TC/ABS you're welcome to do so. But if you like the pure sim style you're also able to do so. As we plan to try and limit it to no practice needed, if the game allows we will only run default game car setups with an equal style power setting like F1 2012.

All this will be pending until we get our hands on the game and see just what is available for the online content for multiplayer is like.

If anyone is interested in joining in on the fun we figured we could host the first event 2-3 weeks after the release of F1 2013 so everyone who might not buy it on day one could at-least have some time to find out if they wish to buy it not or. And by that i mean we will be racing using the classic content from the Classic Edition of the game, which isn't in the standard version of F1 2013.

So....

When does the Driver Market open for the 2013 season :P

Your secret negotiations should be well underway by now :} Don't post teams here or now though, wait til the game's out and we announce the new season. As per previous seasons, an existing team has first dibs on the car they drove in the season just passed (those that drove the full season, that is, or damn close to it). If a team has broken up and both guys want the old car - start fighting about it via PMs.