sora3

AtomicF1 GP2 Season 3

I had an interesting race. I started out alright. Then I started to make throttle mistakes and was getting on the power to early. I turned a one stopper into a six stopper. One for tyres and the rest for new front wings. It has to be some sort of record 5 new front wings during a race :P

It looked like another 11th place for me. However, I think Toggsie got disconnected and it moved me up to 10th. I thought I was going to be disconnected myself on lap 20 as I was thrown back to the menu screen and could not get the game to re-engage for about 40 seconds. However, it all came good and I drove an uneventful finish as the team told me there were no front wings left.

The race start from a tail-enders perspective

So, I thought you guys might like to know about this. I ticked one off the bucket list last week. I got to drive a proper supercar on a race track.

The car was the Ferrari F430 and the track was Eastern Creek. 5 laps round the full length Brabham circuit, plus a couple of extra laps with the pro driving. It was a present for my 40th birthday and it was epic. I thought I'd share the whole experience, so sit back and enjoy. This will take a while. If you're in a hurry, skip to the end and check out the video :).

I got there nice and early, nearly 2 hours before. I'm glad I did, because I got to wander freely around the pits and out the back, checking out the cars and getting a feel for the place. Of course, this was parked out the front...

Posted Image

There she is. Here are the stats, if you're interested. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/spec/2063/Ferrari-F430.html</a>'> http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/spec/2063/Ferrari-F430.html

Wandering out the front of pit lane, I had time to check out the action on track. There was a 'bring our own car' day on, which was awesome to watch. Guys with all sorts of cars - from beat up commodores to the highest end sports cars.

Here's the view of the straight:

Posted Image

And here's a view of what it looked like at the start of each session...

Posted Image

Yup, Pitt Street. It was going to be interesting negotiating that lot.

I got myself pumped watching them scream round, practicing my mad panning tog skillz. Here's just a sample of the cars out on track:

There were plenty of Rex's and Evo's, it was a very popular choice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

... that last one was sweeeeeeeet :)

But it was so varied out there. One guy had what looked like a Mazda 6 series straight out of the showroom, factory stock, just belting round. Crazy. Then this thing rolled up...

Posted Image

He was a menace out on track, swapping ends and getting in people's way. He got black flagged twice that I saw.

Then the Porsche's hit the track. First this:

Posted Image

...then this:

Posted Image

Finally, this sweet thing.

Posted Image

He was a madman out on track, absolutely caning it. Typical old Porsche, it was terribly back-heavy and it showed, the tail was moving round wildly and I have no idea how he kept it together sometimes. You can see in the next shot, taking turn 1 at 200k's and braking, the rear left is starting to lift. Scary - when those things go, they go.

Posted Image

But my favourite cars of the day where these. The black one was an utter, utter beast of a thing. So totally awesome. Godzilla!

Posted Image

Posted Image

But there really were all types out there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This guy was caning his MX5, clearly purpose built and had seen some action:

Posted Image

Then, I got the call that we were ready to go and to make my way down to the pits. Nervous as hell, I tried to calm down a bit by taking some shots of the beast before the pro was ready for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All of a sudden, I'm putting on a helmet and it was time to go. It all went really fast and it was very different to what I was expecting. Here's a summary:

- Nothing, I mean nothing can prepare you for the torque this thing has. Rear wheel drive and race bred, it was impossible to drive slow, and hard damn work to keep under control. It was a beast.

- The grip was incredible. I was astonished by how hard you could chuck it into corners, and I wasn't using half the available grip.

- The noise... the noise. Having that engine behind your head was amazing. It's a pity they didn't let me use the full revs, she was locked to sport mode (not race) and it auto shifted at around 8000 revs. Very disappointing and it caught me out a couple of times as you will see on the video. Still, it made my whole body shake.

- Eastern Creek is really, really hilly and twisty, especially the new Brabham section. I practiced the track on rFactor, but it was nothing like what I thought it would be, and it didn't have the new section. So much quicker to the corners and sooooo steep. He keeps calling me on late braking, which I was, but I was stomping on the pedal and still not pushing hard enough.

- I suck at driving smooth. That was the most disappointing thing - I just didn't have enough time and laps to find a rhythym and it was hard goddam work.

- The video doesn't do it justice, there is just so much going on. The g forces were immense and was throwing me around the car, it was so much hard work just to keep everything clean(ish).

- It was a gigantic bucket full of win. Epic in every sense.

So, without further ado, for better or worse, warts and all, here it is. Try not to fall asleep :). I have one good moment when I overtake a silver thing towards the end, that was sweet. But they don't let you race other cars, or time your laps. It's just about the experience. And it was good.

...aaand here it is done properly. Watch him dart in among other cars and corner at like twice the speed. So confident and smooth.

Here's a couple of stills of me in action. These are me driving.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the way out, I stopped to have a look at the Radicals parked in the paddock. They would be a bucketload of fun to drive and you can do a similar day with them. Maybe next time...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So. Awesome, awesome day.

Edited by Ploddy

I just had this steam convo...

Ploddy: hey - you there?

GD=_)fredzfrog: Fredz ios not here at the moment, please deposit $10 and he will call you back as soon as posible.

Ploddy: lolz! do us a quick favour - post something in the gp2 forum for me? I need to post up my last part of my story and it wont let me till someone else posts

So yeah, this just happened.

Posted Image

I may or may not have posted twice to help the cause ;-)

Well worth it though. Are some fantastic pictures there. Also I finally see what Ploddy actually looks like!!! :-P

That is awesome mate!! 240kph down the straights, nice! sucks about the traffic, but seems you got a bonus lap to make up for it, so i guess that was ok to get to drive a Ferrari for an extra lap. Very jealous mate.

Yeah. What's cool is that the pro wasn't any faster, which means I managed to max out the acceleration on the straight. I know the pedal was on the floor, thats for damn sure :)

Yeah, traffic was a bummer, but on the bright side I got to experience that side of it too - coming up on a slow car is scary scary stuff.

Awesome stuff mate! Some fantastic photos too, I'm still drooling over the GT3. Glad you enjoyed the experience, very jealous!

Thought the pro sounded like an old nana when you were driving though, I had flashbacks to my first driving lessons ("brake... brake! brake!!!" listen Mum - by the time you tell me to brake, i am already way past where you actually wanted me to brake), and the grabbing of the wheel! argh! that would've driven me nuts!

G

Ploddy at Eastern Creek...Notice the red dot for car position on track.

Posted Image

Yeah...seems about right.

Nah good one bud.

Yeah, the new circuit bits threw me. They had a custom rig installed in the car for the video - go pro it wasn't :) Pretty old gear and all that overlay stuff was hard coded in and there was no map for the new circuit. Looks badass if u ask me, paving my own track :)

Greg, that GT3 was immaculate. I mean, showroom quality, such a beautiful thing.

Ploddy at Eastern Creek...Notice the red dot for car position on track.

Posted Image

Yeah...seems about right.

Nah good one bud.

Looks like an Alien head (small Elephant trunk sub-species) with a small rectangular body. Being chased by a small red dot.

That's all I see...

Awesome stuff mate! Some fantastic photos too, I'm still drooling over the GT3. Glad you enjoyed the experience, very jealous!

Thought the pro sounded like an old nana when you were driving though, I had flashbacks to my first driving lessons ("brake... brake! brake!!!" listen Mum - by the time you tell me to brake, i am already way past where you actually wanted me to brake), and the grabbing of the wheel! argh! that would've driven me nuts!

G

I had a track day a few years ago and the pro next to me was exactly the same. I wanted to punch him in the head.

I think they do it to get you up to speed in a short amount of time. Instead of letting you do a few laps then pointing out where your going wrong.

Still good fun.

Oh man Eastern Creek. Flouncy can attain to some furious V8 Supercar action many years ago there.

What an experience, awesome.

I've done a proper V8 Supercar experience (as opposed to those stupid 'hey here is a commodore with racing livery on it') and that was incredible. Certainly we didn't get to open them up like that but the thing I remember the most is the noise. The unbelievable defending sound of a V8 at full RPM.

Cool stuff Ploddy, I loved the sound and look of the car. I been down to Eastern Creek a few times in the past doing ride days but I think the car would be more fun. Also good to see that another Atomic member has joined the over 40 Club.

your still braking TOO LATE CHRIS!

Stop your whining bitch and keep your fucking hand s off the wheel I've paid for!

lol

Damn it Ploddy! I wanted to go for that but alas, no money or time. Maybe after this year...

Awesome stuff Ploddy. You've sat your bum in some beautiful motor vehicles this year. I am quite jealous to say the least... Nice photos too. Quite the experience, so when are you buying your own F430?

My Race video is up.

Posted Image

The right hand garage Toro Rosso race report from Abu Dhabi - with millen

, stay on board and watch as

Set of down the straight and pass Toggsie for 6th,

, I set after passing Fredz.

, but I back of a bit early instead of risking punting him off. (excuse SOJ's really loud voice, I had him bumped up in vent a bit) :p

, which allows Effing to get passed, and now Pessimist is right behind me.

Looks like I may have bubbled you a bit the Effing, sorry about that. As cries of more Fredzings go on behind me...

Next up, ET, who's 5.6 seconds up the road. Feeling pretty comfortable with the prime tyres at this stage.

, which is quicker than I thought it would have been. But as we get to the end of lap 7, I can see he is struggling for grip.

, and from there I am close enough for DRS, and get the pass down down the main straight.

...and that is basically all the exciting parts of my race. For the next 20 (!) laps I just held it together and brought it home. I wasn't fast enough to catch the big 3, and wasn't sure I wanted to with all the

going on...

Oh, and

, as Doull goes to move out of my way and smacks himself into a wall. Love ya work Doull. As I said mate, not so flamboyant next time... :D

Well done to SOJ I guess, even though you stole victory from my team mate. Hard luck Jase, not much you can do when Ferrari have everyone in their back pockets. ;)

Well done Plods, super speedy again mate... leaving me in your dust.

Effing and Pessimist, and possibly even ET in there, looked like they had some good battles all race.

Finally, well done Doull on your first points. Onwards and Upwards. DSQ, 11th, 10th... 9th?

Where's Parsifal? anyone seen him?

Edited by millen