Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
adamgray

Samsung Galaxy S4 Officially set for a March 15 Debut

Here is out it is meant to look:

Posted Image

I think Samsung have gone back to the Galaxy S2 roots for the design of the Galaxy S4. The more square edges certainly look alot better than the rounded Galaxy S3 edges.

CNET Source:

Samsung Electronics is set to unveil the Galaxy S4 smartphone at a March 15 event.

The successor to Samsung's Galaxy S flagship franchise will begin selling in early April, according to the report, which cited an unnamed source.

Samsung, meanwhile, remained mum on the timing of the launch.

"We don't comment on rumors or speculation," said a Samsung representative.

There's increasing interest in the launch of the next Galaxy S smartphone, which Samsung has built up as a worthy rival to Apple's iPhone franchise. The Galaxy S3 landed with all of the attention of an Apple launch, and the anticipation over the Galaxy S4 is expected to be even higher.

The fan site's report has the invitations coming out after Mobile World Congress, which kicks off in the last week of February.

As with previous launches, the Galaxy S4 would launch in Europe and Asia before the end of April, the fan site said, while the Americas, Australia, and Africa will get the phone around May or June. The Galaxy S3 launched in the U.S. months after its debut, partly due to carrier testing and scheduling needs.

So for us Aussies, exactly 12 months after the release of the Galaxy S3, we will be blessed with the Galaxy S4.

Edited by adamgray

Looks closer to an iPhone to me, with the square looks and silver edging around it all.

Never really been a fan of the Galaxy S phones... plus TouchWiz turns me off, but that's just a personal thing.

I think I'll wait for the next big Nexus with a major OS update that isn't available to my GNex.

'Cept for the lack of home/back/menu buttons.

Stock Android has those buttons rendered on the display, and they hide away when they're not required.

and thats the way it should be.

Agreed.

Though, WTF mobile phone companies?

If I had my way, i'd be focusing on battery life, 'other' available profiles (is can be blackberry killer tiem meow?).

What I feel the market would go crazy for is: battery life, durability, and compatability right now.

As long as it can run Angry Birds, I don't think the non-geek public care about how many jiggawatts you can render a cube with.

Still cool; I love new tech as much as the next dungeon dwelling nerd, but FFS, slow down, perfect something to the nth degree, and get market dominance (samsung? Motorolla? whoever!)

Because faster processors and more powerful devices = better apps. And the consumer world as well as the business world are pissing themselves silly over mobile apps.

And what do you mean Blackberry killer time? Blackberry has been dealt killer blows many times over in the last 6 years. I think the meow is only pertinent now because they appear to have 9 lives.

Agreed.

If I had my way, i'd be focusing on battery life, 'other' available profiles (is can be blackberry killer tiem meow?).

What I feel the market would go crazy for is: battery life, durability, and compatability right now.

As long as it can run Angry Birds, I don't think the non-geek public care about how many jiggawatts you can render a cube with.

Still cool; I love new tech as much as the next dungeon dwelling nerd, but FFS, slow down, perfect something to the nth degree, and get market dominance (samsung? Motorolla? whoever!)

If you want more battery, buy a Razr Maxx or a Note. Better processors are made on new manufacturing processes which reduce the amount of power consumed. They also use more cores rather than higher clock rates, which means entire portions of the processor can be completely off under idle load. Not only this, but the CPU isn't responsible for the main portion of battery consumption - the display is. A CPU can go into a low power state while the user is doing non-intensive tasks, while a display is constantly on during use.

As Twinair said, better processor technology isn't all about games. It's about opening up new avenues for mobile software. Heck, imagine the cost savings when smartphones are powerful enough to dock into a unit which turns it into a PC tower? Sure, it won't please enthusiasts, but people who work through their browser will think it's fantastic.

I have a note. I only get 2 days battery at most, its horrible. (Anker 2700mah battery, put through a batter tester, shows 2732mah, original samsung showed 247*mah, so its a good battery) The case is a tight fit, but its still original form factor :D

running ASOP, I have my screen at minimum fixed brightness, my CPU underclocked to 1.2ghz and undervolted (via kernel), my GPU underclocked and undervolted (via kernel), I have no background apps running. No widgets. the battery is literally 2.2x the size of my old phone and I cant even get half the battery life!

It has to be the screen I guess....

so you're right, advancements in DISPLAY i think are crucial, as the main battery killer, and the most easily broken thing.

Docking?

Curiously, Is x86 honestly a MUCH better architecture? or are we not programming nearly as well as we used to?

What i'm getting at, is my phone is twice the power (more) of my old 1ghz PC with 32mb Geforce2, and I've seen nothing as good as, say diablo2, or MS office suite show up.

When I had my phone over HDMI, with a keyboard and mouse it works fine as a desktop replacement already, emulates Ubuntu fine in a VM without any lag.

I'm way off topic for the thread I know, but I do believe the market would respond better to something new, as opposed to something more.

As for Blackberry, it's still very alive and kicking in the public sector. EVERY upper employee is provided one and if you want to use your phone on their exchange server, it HAS to go through their BES, you cant (well, you're not supposed to) hook right up to the exchange.

HOWEVER I think the entire ball game would change if motorolla actually released their whole range outside of the USA. there have been acceptable QWERTY, slide, and even flip Android phones; we've just not seen any of them.

Ill let you get back on topic of the S4 now; sorry to drag it off course.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I have a note. I only get 2 days battery at most, its horrible. (Anker 2700mah battery, put through a batter tester, shows 2732mah, original samsung showed 247*mah, so its a good battery) The case is a tight fit, but its still original form factor :D

running ASOP, I have my screen at minimum fixed brightness, my CPU underclocked to 1.2ghz and undervolted (via kernel), my GPU underclocked and undervolted (via kernel), I have no background apps running. No widgets. the battery is literally 2.2x the size of my old phone and I cant even get half the battery life!

It has to be the screen I guess....

so you're right, advancements in DISPLAY i think are crucial, as the main battery killer, and the most easily broken thing.

Two days for a smartphone is considered good. You're supposed to charge them every night, that's just how it is. They're lithium polymer batteries, there's no reason why you shouldn't plug them into the wall any time you have the chance. Until battery technology has a breakthrough, manufacturers are going to design phones to last a day only.

Docking?

Curiously, Is x86 honestly a MUCH better architecture? or are we not programming nearly as well as we used to?

What i'm getting at, is my phone is twice the power (more) of my old 1ghz PC with 32mb Geforce2, and I've seen nothing as good as, say diablo2, or MS office suite show up.

When I had my phone over HDMI, with a keyboard and mouse it works fine as a desktop replacement already, emulates Ubuntu fine in a VM without any lag.

I'm way off topic for the thread I know, but I do believe the market would respond better to something new, as opposed to something more.

How are you calculating that "twice the power" metric? Diablo 2 seems like an odd reference point for a performance comparison. Have you tried Real Racing 3? As for Office, you're not going to get something as complex as MS Office simply because the UI wouldn't be touch screen friendly. I've seen a few office suits on Android, but most people are perfectly happy with Google Docs. I doubt Microsoft are going to port Office to Android, but that may be a good thing (screw .doc files, they can burn in a fire).

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

I have a note. I only get 2 days battery at most, its horrible.

Wanna trade? I have to recharge my phone during the day if I want to have power to read online on my train ride home.

My SGS3 used to last all of 1 day with mild use on one charge.

But then I found THIS.

Causes your phone to only sync data every x minutes when the screen goes off.

Using the custom profiles I delay syncing during the day to every 15mins and at night to not sync at all. Now my battery lasts twice as long. 2 days.

Syncing even with your phone sleeping really can suck the juice.

I also use THIS to track battery usage via the graph widget. When in night mode with the 1st app active the battery usage of my phone basically flat lines (2mA compared to 70-80mA odd without the app and this is with the phone in standby), it's brilliant.

Free versions of both those apps available too for the cheap skates.

Agreed.

For some reason, your post evokes this image ...

Posted Image

As for the phone, I'll never buy a Samsung Android device again.

I really want to find an Android device that actually does tick all the boxes. So far the Nexus 4's lack of 4G and no micro SD is putting me off that route but the potential lack of updates for all the other brands is a trade off I really don't want to make.

I'm hoping that the so called 'X Phone' is as good as the rumours say. Samsung is getting way too big to be a good thing, and I'm sick of how they ruin the core Android experience.

I'm hoping that the so called 'X Phone' is as good as the rumours say. Samsung is getting way too big to be a good thing, and I'm sick of how they ruin the core Android experience.

That and they don't release important source code (thus breaking GPL licensing) that'd allow open source community members to finally make a 3rd party Android spin that'd work on the SGSIII phones. Samsung's name is dirt in the open source community atm.

But apparently Sony are doing good things in the open source space (likely due to the Ericsson influence more than anything) and actively work with the open source community. Might be a manufacturer to look into The Tick. I will be when I next upgrade. Though obviously the Nexus phones will be better supported anyway, but aren't premium products per se.

I have a note. I only get 2 days battery at most, its horrible.

Wanna trade? I have to recharge my phone during the day if I want to have power to read online on my train ride home.

I have a phone charger at work, in the car, next to the computer and next to my bed. I charge my HTC everywhere i can and im still lucky to get an entire day out of it haha.

anyway, found some pics of the S4 Mini, im actually considering getting it, im not sure if i want the full size phone, dont really need all the extra bells and whistles and wouldnt mind something that fits comfortably in my pocket

Posted Image

Edited by xnatex

I just ordered my S4 then :D

My HTC is on its last legs atm, resets all the time, doesnt turn on, buttons falling off. The release of this phone could not have come at a better time.

Cant wait to ditch Vodabra as my carrier, my god. Im going to Optus, i doubt the 4G coverage will be any good, I really hope the S4 has the ability to switch easily between 2g,3g,4g bands depending where abouts i am without having to depend on the "auto" feature.

Who else has ordered or is going to?

looking at the samsung website, it only comes in 16gb? other then getting a micro sd card for it?

It comes in other sizes, but as usual they are rare as hens teeth

There was a big write up about it will see if I can find it

I imagine most people get SD cards anyway but with some games requiring 2gb of space now, the inability to install to SD card, and the available space on an S4 being 9gb thanks to all the features (and the sink they stuffed in) I can't imagine most people lasting with a 16gb

Surely 32gb should be the new standard?