once_i_was_a_maggot

2.1 Speaker Recommendations

I'm looking for a new set of 2.1's with a max budget of $250. I've currently got the Logitech z-2300's which I've had for about 5 years and I have loved them dearly. But one of the speakers have blown, so they need to be replaced. They will be used on my TV for music, games and movies.

Any ideas would be great.

ah OK, i listen to a lot of electronica; such as happyhardcore and dubstep.

So bass response was important to me.

If you're an RnB sorta guy and quanity is more important than quality, keep looking at logitech lines.... what are the Z4's like these days?

$250 is going to get you a much better pair of cans than speakers, if that's an option.

you could always go for the edifier M1360s, they are $35 at harvey norman and are as good as you can justify without your goal being to deafen the neighbours. seriously, save yourself the cash and get some.

I listen to dubstep, trance and metal.

The bass on the z2300 is really impressive. The z623 is supposed to be their replacement, but from all the reviews I've read they don't compare.

So do I.

Happy Hardcore, Dubstep and DrumStep, Powermetal, Pirate Metal (and a lot of easy listening celtic stuff when I'm studying).

In my honest opinion, you don't want a Logitech system at all.

The reason I chose the T40's is because they have enough bass to make my body tingly, and knock things off my desk; but they're small enough cones to have VERY tight response.

a sub will shake the walls, yes, but 90% of PC subs will be very loose and designed for 'big bass' as opposed to tight bass.

And trust me, dubstep NEEDS tight bass, otherwise it ends up sounding like "wubwubwub".

For example, did you know Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites has 4 simultaneous bass lines playing at slightly different frequencies? I didn't before, because the lowest bass note was sloppy and covered them.

Or that ModeStep uses a lot of 'hard bass cuts' to shock your system? I didn't because a 'big sub' wasn't fast enough to create the 'snap' effect a bass cut demands. (this is huge on modern Metal as well, used a lot)

I'm not going to try and convince you further, but can I honestly suggest you take a trip to your local instrument\DJ store (if you have a StoreDJ.com.au physical store in your area, go there) and listen to a few 2.0 studio monitor systems? $200 will get you some serious monitors.

For example, if you can go and demo these:

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/MAU-AV40MK2

(review) http://www.cnet.com.au/m-audio-studiophile...0-339287783.htm

and you honestly feel Logitechs sound better, well, each to their own. Some people actually love the 'loose bass' sound (usually RnB folks because their beats are slow and VERY long).

If you do go down, listen to everything in your price range. behringer are known as 'being cheap' but they're pretty up there these days. If you can stretch to some Mackie's

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/15...ini-review.html

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/MAC-MR5MK2

Just try to hear both before you decide. After working in HiFi, a 'good subwoofer' (tight and loud) should be $500 alone. REL T5 is the lowest I'd go if I went back to a sub. I like my bass too much to hide it behind a drone or a doof.

you could always go for the edifier M1360s, they are $35 at harvey norman and are as good as you can justify without your goal being to deafen the neighbours. seriously, save yourself the cash and get some.

Edifier make some bloody nice speakers for quiet listening. They're just so incredibly sensitive that when you crank them at all they start to lose quite a lot. If you dont crank it much. and the above hasnt convinced you to try some good 2.0's, then yeah, $35 isnt bad.

.... lol; in case you can't tell, getting my body to tingle from music, and clarity for my ears became high priority when my eyes started to go :P

Edited by Master_Scythe

The Audioengine P4's are around $269 or you could go the 2s which are $219ish.

They are 2.0 and awesome :)

I know someone would say the audioengines.

They win on availability alone IMO. otherwise, i find them a little flat and lifeless. But still way better than any 2.1 system ive heard below $700.

speakers need to be heard in person.

Still, you wont be sad with the Audioengines, it'lll leave your old logitechs for dead.

I have the Audioengine 2 and I like it. You can buy a sub to go with it later on if you really want.

I have the Audioengine 2 and I like it. You can buy a sub to go with it later on if you really want.

that is a brilliant idea. Unless you live in a HUGE house, I dont think you'd bother, but yes. If you'e set on 2.1, go 2.0 + 0.1.

Surprisingly, your budget DOES allow it. Hell, use your current Logitech sub only?

Edifier make some bloody nice speakers for quiet listening. They're just so incredibly sensitive that when you crank them at all they start to lose quite a lot. If you dont crank it much. and the above hasnt convinced you to try some good 2.0's, then yeah, $35 isnt bad.

yeah, mine don't get stupidly load, but if you're in the same room as the speakers, it's more than enough. get a set of m1360s and spend the leftovers on good monitor headphones

Most sound cards will allow you to assign the outputs, you'd simply make a SECOND "stereo output". But if you need to, a simple splitter will do the trick; like $2 from jaycar. You know? one of those things designed to share your ipod with friends?

So, if software doesnt allow:

Audioengines to splitter

Subwoofer to splitter

Splitter to PC sound card (green).

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PA3582

But as I said, if you actually hear some decent 2.0's I honestly doubt your need for a sub, but its bloody easy to do.

Curiously why the sub addiction? is it a looks thing?

Keep in mind you've never really had a sub. You've had a 4 or 5" cone, in a ported box. They're designed for doof in games, and unintentionally lend themselves well to slow rolling beats of RnB.

A good set of 2.0's offer you TWICE the number of 4" speaker drivers you're used to. You'll loose some 'boom' with less of a sub box, but you wont lose bass.

At an experienced guess, I'd say you'll 'hear' 25% more of the bass notes, but 'feel' 25% less of them. (coming from any logitech set, thats a good thing, lol. boomy fucks)

~~~~~~~~

If anyone is interested,

For a quick romp into 'sub land', I wouldn't go anywhere but REL. I worked for a fair while in 'stupidly high end' hifi.

http://www.cnet.com.au/rel-t-5-subwoofer-339318653.htm

For example, they make a 5", the T5, which literally knocked paintings off the walls when we cranked it. Revealed some unbelievable 'extra instruments' in dubstep bass lines, and simply made your organs squirm with vibrations. A few people needed to take a step away (which didn't help, but they think it did :P)

Wanna go up? oook....

http://rel.net/products/serie-t/t-7/

8" subwoofer, and a 10" passive resonator.

If you don't need skin tight bass and want 'rumble' Resonators are what you want in a Sub.

They give you the extra output like having a port, but they keep the box sealed, meaning fairly tight bass, but also 'doof' output.

Where i worked had solid oak doors, with carpets on them, in a 'home solution' soundproof room (special plasterboard, tar sheets in the walls, special insulation, and solid cement floors on ground level with shag carpet).

If you turned this thing up, you could honestly upset your heart beat from a good 20m away with the doors closed.

You know when you get that much bass that your body kinda... stops being able to talk properly? that point before organ-shift occurs and you vomit? yeah that point.....

But with that, I'm quite used to bass, and it was STILL tight. No where near as 'nice' for music as the T5, but the resonator let it be a good movie subwoofer too since you need rumble for plane crashes etc.

and they go bigger too..... we had one. Sounded nice, never truly cranked it.

I do like the look of the Audio Engines, but I'd have no idea how to hook up a sub as well.

Try find a music or DJ store and trial some before deciding on Audioengines.

They're worlds above any other PC speaker, so rest easy if you DO go with them, but personally I like a few other monitors more.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Full range speakers > the tiny little satellites people buy for their TV and PC, but who wants to pay for real speakers? :