Sign in to follow this  
raistlin

Tomb Raider Release Date Broken.

Remains locked on Steam until around 11pm Monday night, though.

Found that out the hard way :(

incidently, isn't it illegal to sell things that can't be used?

Edited by smenkhare

Found that out the hard way :(

incidently, isn't it illegal to sell things that can't be used?

no idea, i think fines as well as delayed supplies of new titles are punishments handed out by publishers. I'm not sure.

Given that Gamespot's review coincidentally popped up several days before the official launch date, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a deliberate tactic to generate hype. It would have to be an uphill battle to push a new blockbuster title in a franchise which has experienced a string of lackluster installments, and hasn't received critical acclaim in over a decade.

As for the game itself, I'm impressed. I could argue that too much of it is on rails, and that the narrative is too contrived, but the game is so well done it doesn't matter all that much. Moments such as retrieving the distress beacon from the wolves certainly leave a lasting impression *shudders*

My fucking 7950 died the night before this came out, so fucking pissed, got to play maybe half an hour (through several crashes, where the card would crash, drivers would reset) and was really enjoying it. So pissed that I now have to wait to play it.

It looks very pretty on PC too.

TressFX looks pretty shit... it's nice to see hair looking more natural but its movement is far too exaggerated and it looks stupid... not to mention it gave me a 20fps drop, sometimes more... and also a little bit of micro-stutter.

Turned it off, silky smooth 60fps (capped).

As for the game itself... about 2 hours in and enjoying it. :)

I was going to say it doesn't look very tomb raidery but then realised I've only ever played the first one way back on PS involving lots of climbing on blocks and in temples and shooting bear so I guess I dont know how the franchised has evolved since.

Its a reboot Mojo, the franchise basically stayed the same and stagnated, to a point where they were releasing games, but getting shit reviews.

The reboot tries to tell a different story, some of the gameplay is tomb raiderish, but more than that, it has finally evolved.

Yeah it's a different beast to the old games.

Basically every game up until Angel of Darkness (I think?) on PS2 was identical, gameplay-wise.

Everything after that horrible PS2 game, Legend, Anniversary, Underworld... have been fairly similar.

Kind of a more streamlined, smoother version of the old gameplay style I suppose.

The new one, while similar in its platforming parts, overall is fairly different to the point where it's refreshing again.

I haven't spent any more time with it yet due to being distracted with Trials Evo and ARMA III, but I'll get some more in over the long weekend.

Her tits aren't big enough. Also, the game keeps taking control away from me, I fucking hate that. Also, it's boring to play. The last observation is probably due to my overall "overness" of most games lately, and but the other two are spot on.

Edited by disolusiond

Taking control away? What do you mean by that? As in being to linear or just too easy to do the puzzles?

There are parts where it will switch straight from gameplay to cutscene, but from what limited play time I've had so far, its mainly for stuff that you couldn't do with normal gameplay anyway, Far Cry 3 did the same sort of shit, wasn't really an issue for me, but I know others who feel the same way.