Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

(very) por man's water cooling.

as i've forced you all to know, i'm trying to watercool my PC. i have little to no money, my plans so far:

CPU block: xspc raystorm (i have this already, i will sell it if someone wants)

GPU block: DIY block (am i able to make this full cover? if so how?, otherwise, what is the best way to make your own block?)

Res: an old small drink bottle with tubing siliconed to it, i might even use my razer "human coolant" bottle

Pump: i don't think i can avoid this

rad: heater cores with fans strapped on

tubing: already have

fittings: is there a good guide on making your own?

Fluid: i've been thinking either: listerine + distilled, car coolant, distilled + silver, or a constantly running supply of water from our tank (pumped from the creek) i'd ideally use the last one but it would clog things fast.

thermal goop: i've heard good things about mayonaise ;)

One other question: can i use zip ties to hold the waterblocks on or do i need "proper" mounting gear

when finished i will post pics

Edited by noskcaj

Depending on your tubing size, you may get away with a hardware store for fittings.

I bought a bunch of elbows and clamps at Bunnings years ago. Elbows were about 30c. Clamps were something like 50c, maybe a dollar.

This was my pump setup from that build:

Posted Image

Depending on your tubing size, you may get away with a hardware store for fittings.

I bought a bunch of elbows and clamps at Bunnings years ago. Elbows were about 30c. Clamps were something like 50c, maybe a dollar.

This was my pump setup from that build:

http://users.datarealm.com/~opy/The_HAF/00...ech_MCP-350.jpg

lol, thanks. is that colour pump natural? Edited by noskcaj

try to find a pond pump like an ehiem they work well ( a lil bulky ).

i made a getto water cooled rig over 10 years ago it consisted of:

camry heater core, 4 80mm fans, washer bottle and pump combe from some car (noisey bastard) for the water block i broke all the fins off my volcano 7+ all copper then rolled some 10mm copper tube into a coil and soldered it onto the volcano base.

getto as shit noisey but it did work only used it for benching my old athlon xp then tossed it all out.

try to find a pond pump like an ehiem they work well ( a lil bulky ).

i made a getto water cooled rig over 10 years ago it consisted of:

camry heater core, 4 80mm fans, washer bottle and pump combe from some car (noisey bastard) for the water block i broke all the fins off my volcano 7+ all copper then rolled some 10mm copper tube into a coil and soldered it onto the volcano base.

getto as shit noisey but it did work only used it for benching my old athlon xp then tossed it all out.

LOL, back then that would have been acceptable, i'm going for a Bong cooler, should be near silent. i'm just going to get a cheap pump off ebay.

just stay away from thermaltake products i had a plexi block crack and cost me a 1k video card and $500 mobo.

nasty, at least everything but blocks will be outside the case.

I don't think making your own block will be practical unless you own a bunch of stuff for working with metal and are very good at it.

As for liquids, distilled water + some algaecide and a sliver of silver should work, but it depends on the metals in your loop.

Pump, a pond pump would be okay, but they can be fairly loud and vibrate a lot.

For fittings, you'd be best off buying some plastic ones from bunnings, however fittings aren't that expensive, if you could spare $20~ you could buy them from gammods or something.

Using a heater core for the radiator will be fine.

Thermal goop, buy some from MSY, you can get a syringe of cheap shit for $5~ gotta be better than mayo :P

For the res, you can just use a piece of hose and a T connector and then buy a plastic plug for it.

TBH, if you can't even afford the cheapest parts of a watercooling build, you shouldn't even bother, you can buy the XSPC kits for cheap as shit these days, just save up for one of those.

thanks for the reply nuke, i was joking about the mayo, but that stuff does work. i'm not making my own blocks, i already have a raystorm cpu block. i will be using a bong cooler.

"As for liquids, distilled water + some algaecide and a sliver of silver should work, but it depends on the metals in your loop."

with bongs you can safely just use silvver and tap water

"Pump, a pond pump would be okay, but they can be fairly loud and vibrate a lot."

good enough, i might still get a normal pump though

"For fittings, you'd be best off buying some plastic ones from bunnings, however fittings aren't that expensive, if you could spare $20~ you could buy them from gammods or something. "

is going to use either bunnings ones or the $1 gammods barbs

"Using a heater core for the radiator will be fine."

no longer necessary

"Thermal goop, buy some from MSY, you can get a syringe of cheap shit for $5~ gotta be better than mayo :P"

i have plenty of normal goop

"For the res, you can just use a piece of hose and a T connector and then buy a plastic plug for it."

i shall be using an esky

Requires a very dry environment (works via evaporation i believe).

no it doesn't, but it does work on evap.

Having read up on it, a dry environment is suitable, as a humid environment can cause condensation, but it seems that's only an issue if you are cooling the water below ambient.

Friend of mine cooled his 4.0ghz i5-2500K since new using just a waterblock, 44 gallon drum & a submersible pond pump. The 44 sat outside under his window. Never got hot even after 12 hour gaming sessions. Only addition as an afterthought was a flow indicator for peace of mind.