Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×

So yesterday I decided to treat myself.

I decided the only game I play is DOTA2, and it can only run it on minimum @ max res.

My HD5770 had to go.

Ironically it was fine in all other games, but there has been no performance tweaking in DOTA so its hard on things despite being 'simple' by comparison.

Budget allowed for an HD7850; and the choice came in this bad boy.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powerco..._7850_PCS_Plus/

Brilliant!

Stock overclock is nice, and I instantly maxed out the CCC sliders too, with only 1% allowance on the power slider.

It's silent, it only needs one power connector, its quite nice visually, and the performance by comparison is our of this world.

What was previously using 100% GPU and causing 15fps frame drops, now never goes above 69% utilization. and everything is at max!

Considering the shaky groundings powercolor came from, this is damn impressive, and runs very cool too. UEFI support for an extra $4 was nice too should I take it to a new machine with Win8.

I guess the next upgrade in a year or so will be CPU and mobo. GPU will do me for another 2 or so years I think.

Anyway, highly recommended for a sub $200 card thats kicking ass in one of the deceptively hardest games to keep at full FPS at the moment.

yeah, the 7850's been a rather nice card :) I know f1 looks prettyer :)

because i'm working tho, I think i'll get a 7970 :D but hten i'll also want to upgrade cpu, os, ram, etc etc etc etc :P

so no more multimonitor flickers?

Score. I've been sort of eyeing one off to replace my 4770, but then I get bogged down in which of the 7850/7950 etc will be better value : \

I'm starting to really think about buying a 7xxx card for Arma III now, but I promised myself I would wait until the 8000 series...

Maybe it will be a good BD present to myself next week...

Score. I've been sort of eyeing one off to replace my 4770, but then I get bogged down in which of the 7850/7950 etc will be better value : \

7870 myst edition $229 its a cut down 7950 and is probably the best bang for your buck card

Powercolor really are turning into a good brand. i'm yet to be let down by them. some VRAM heatsinks in my 7950 would be nice though

I wonder how it compares to my HD 5870... though I guess I'd have multi-monitor issues if I had them haha

The 7850 is faster than a 560ti and a 6950, so should be faster than a 5870 too.

so no more multimonitor flickers?

I get slight ones. Maybe 2 an hour. Though i'm running 12.1 catalyst not 13.2 that they're up to.

I plan to fix this tonight so we'll see if it goes away.

Im just loving that the stock clock on this card makes it perform like a 7870 @ 7850price. AND it easily OC's further.

Goes to show you dont have to be a stupidly rich bastard to enjoy your games. Its an old i920 @ 4ghz-ish, 6 GB tripple channel ram, an SSD and now this card. Handles everything I can throw at it so far.

Now to wait for Bioshock Infinity....

AMD must have had a brain fart at some point.

The driver reinstall, with the latest drivers at the time, was the most recent December.

You're right about the dates, but that's WELL before I updated, and I used the latest at the time.

Oh well, tonight it gets fixed. I only got the popup alerting me last night and i was mid game.

I know there were some significant performance improvements in the newer drivers for the 79xx series, so most likely going to be similar for the 78xx, you may find your card is even better!

I'll report back :D

I wonder who got slapped for linking the wrong drivers for a while lol.

I wish i didnt have eye stuff this arvo, I'd rush straight home and try it out!

Goes to show you dont have to be a stupidly rich bastard to enjoy your games.

Yeah, my brother just picked up 660ti for $230 and is loving it. lets him play ARMA III a lot more smoothly than his old GTX275, every other game he can run basically maxed out on his 1920x1200 monitor.

Yeah, probably not the smartest idea running 14 month old drivers for a card thats only 12 months old.

I'm still running 12.1 catalyst drivers with my 7970, because the newer 13.1 drivers broke my colours in Photoshop. :/

Uninstalled 13.1 and went back to 12.1 and everything was fine again. Maybe I will have to try out the 13.2 drivers.

There are atleast 10 releases between the 12.1s and the 13.1s, surely one of those would work without breaking photoshop?

I dunno.... sometimes the break things and never fix it.

Take NVIDIA forceware;

For example, version 9.* is the only version that can allow 480i output at 15khz for CGA monitors.

They broke it in newer versions. and never put it back, even if its on a card before that stupid 'safety resolution' feature was put into the firmware.

The card is capable, but the driver wont let it.

So for some reason, after 2006 the decided that "no one will want CGA anymore" and just... fucked it up. Even with powerstrip\Soft15khz it wont do it on newer drivers.

I know this is a niche thing, but i'm not asking them to provide phone support, or even to make the code efficient for those resolutions; all im asking is that if it works (and it did, and does on my cabinet), don't fuck it up!

'if its not broke' applies a lot to drivers in my experience.

So it is possible his combo doesnt like 13.* its a major release, so they probably messed with some shit unnecessarily.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I'm still running 12.1 catalyst drivers with my 7970, because the newer 13.1 drivers broke my colours in Photoshop. :/

Uninstalled 13.1 and went back to 12.1 and everything was fine again. Maybe I will have to try out the 13.2 drivers.

I had that happen in Lightroom, but it turned out that it wasn't the driver itself, but something to do with Windows' colour profiles.

I changed the colour profiles to generic ones in Control Panel and changed them back, and it all came good. *shrugs*

Edit: To clarify, installing 13.1 messed it up somehow, but doing the above I was able to "fix" it.

Edited by SquallStrife

Thought the recent AMD drivers gave like 10-15% performance nearly across the board. I think you should bench before and after once just for curiosity sake ;)

There are atleast 10 releases between the 12.1s and the 13.1s, surely one of those would work without breaking photoshop?

My bad, just got home and checked, I have the 12.10 drivers, was getting mixed up with 12.1 obviously.

I changed the colour profiles to generic ones in Control Panel and changed them back, and it all came good. *shrugs*

Tried all that but I couldn't get it to fix... will wait and see what happens with the next batch... Performance is fine for me at the moment running the older ones.

My bad, just got home and checked, I have the 12.10 drivers, was getting mixed up with 12.1 obviously.

Well that is much better then :-P

nobody's sarcasm is because 10.1 == 10.10; you're thinking of 10.01.

File version eh? they're confusing when you're not used to them.

nobody's sarcasm is because 10.1 == 10.10; you're thinking of 10.01.

File version eh? they're confusing when you're not used to them.

Colour me confused.