Sign in to follow this  
fabman_uk

90's gaming is back!

We've had quite a few games released over the past couple of years that hark back to the gaming days of the 90's and even the 80's, two examples are XCOM Enemy Unknown and Legend of Grimrock. I purchased both of those games and I really enjoyed them, they used modern graphics, sound and UI but their game play was clearly mimicking games of past.

I'm not someone who hates modern games and modern gamers as I do own and enjoy the a good few of the latest titles including The Walking Dead, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Witcher 2 and Max Payne 3, but I do sorely miss games using game play elements of the past.

To feed that desire I have multiple emulators set up as well as many games purchased via Gog.com, but I do like better graphics, clearer audio and high resolution UI's that modern games bring, so I'm thrilled that there are quite a few games in production that are combing all the elements I like.

I am listing those games that I know of that are in production combining these elements, as well as those games that have been released in the past few years, please feel free to add names of good games that you know of that hark back to 'old school' gaming.

In Production:

Project Eternity

Wasteland 2

Shadowrun Returns

Torment: Tides of Numanera

Star Citizen

Double Fine Adventure

Two Guys From Andromeda SpaceVenture

Remakes in Production:

Rise of the Triad 2013

Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded

Released:

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Legend of Grimrock

Edited by fabman_uk

Rise of the Triad 2013 - http://www.riseofthetriad.net

Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leisur...arry-come-again

Two Guys From Andromeda SpaceVenture (New point n click from the makers of Space Quest) - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spacev...ce-que?ref=live

...that I can think of right this second...

Thanks SquallStrife,

Had a quick look at those 3 and they all fit the bill. I was concerned about ROTT2013 not using older gaming elements, but it will have: ammo pickups, health packs, big labyrinthine levels, secret areas, traps and no weapon limit. So that is very 90's first person shooter gaming there.

Point and click adventure games are not really my cup of tea, I made an exception for The Walking Dead as that really excited me, I also liked Back to the Future, Day of the Tentacle and Beneath a Steel Sky... So I guess I do like some Point and Click games, I didn't realise till now.

Edited by fabman_uk

I can't say much for XCOM but if you did enjoy it, you enjoyed it.

From that list, the only ones I'm waiting for are Leisure Suit Larry and Star Citizen. I sent my funds via Kickstarter to both of them so I'm hoping they turn out to be great.

I was concerned about ROTT2013 not using older gaming elements, but it will have: ammo pickups, health packs, big labyrinthine levels, secret areas, traps and no weapon limit. So that is very 90's first person shooter gaming there.

If you check out some of the interviews and stuff on their Youtube channel, you'll see that making a 90s shooter with 2013 technology is precisely their game. :)

I'm not someone who hates modern games and modern gamers

No, that'd be me.

Also, ROTT like a motherfucker.

No, that'd be me.

I can't say much for XCOM but if you did enjoy it, you enjoyed it.

From that list, the only ones I'm waiting for are Leisure Suit Larry and Star Citizen. I sent my funds via Kickstarter to both of them so I'm hoping they turn out to be great.

I had its failings, like being short and too easy, but overall I liked the game and wasn't too expensive. Star Citizen I'm worried about, it seems very ambitious, I'm hoping it is going to work though.

If you check out some of the interviews and stuff on their Youtube channel, you'll see that making a 90s shooter with 2013 technology is precisely their game. :)

Excellent, I really don't want my guy to magically heal by hiding behind cover... I want him to magically heal running over a first aid pack.

No, that'd be me.

Shame Duke Forever sucked balls...

No, that'd be me.

I hope they release the redone version of suck this :P

No, that'd be me.

The same metal band that did that song, is redoing the whole soundtrack.

Since we're on game soundtracks... No, it's not Ozzy.

No, that'd be me.

Yeah I know, but I want to hear Suck This on youtube before the game comes out, its my favourite track from the game :P

errrrr might of just bought RoTT from GOG -_-'

I occasionally play it on my 486, so boss.

as long as shadowrun is the SNES themed one and not the XBOX themed one; Awesome!

On the flip side, I want gaming back where people play for the challenge, not for the story.

Story is cool, fill in cutscenes or between levels with it if you wish, but really, I'm a sucker for game punishment.

What? I Died? START THE HALF HOUR LEVEL AGAIN!

want a good mix of story, punishment, and gameplay?

Wonderboy In monster world; maybe even WB: The Dragons Trap, but it has less compelling story.

Haha SS, I was just about to link him to Dark Souls too, seriously best RPG since Demon's Souls, fucking love it. So punishing.

I put 77 hours into that for 1 playthrough on PC and about 20~ or so on PS3 before I got sick of the FPS issues.

M_S, for the price, strongly recommend it. Make sure you have a controller to use for your PC though.

Edited by NukeJockey