Sign in to follow this  
Michael100

Wireless Internet connection sharing

Hey guys

I'm pretty sure this is possible, just wanted to run it past you guys and see if you could help me out.

I would like to use my work laptop and its Telstra 3G card to share its internet connection with my desktop computer running Vista, which has a wireless USB adapter connected to it.

as an option I would like to also be able to connect my Playstation 3 but its not essential.

Any suggestions or help would be great

Thanks in advance

Mike

Easiest way is to run the internet connection sharing wizard. Select the option "this computer connects directly to the internet. The other computers on the network connect to the internet through this computer".

When you get to the adaptors section select the wireless modem as the internet connection.

ICS will set the LAN IP of your notebook to a fixed IP of 192.168.0.1 and turn on a windows based DHCP server. A better solution would be to use a switch and hook up the desktop and PS3 via cat5 through the switch to the LAN port on your notebook.

Best solution is to get your own ADSL connection as heavy usage of the expensive 3G connection may be queried by your work, plus 3g is bloody awful for gaming due to high latency problems.

You may also have issues with access policies on a work laptop. Depends on how the OS image was setup by the company IT dept.

If it's a 'generic' Dell, HP etc install you'll be OK. If your IT dept creates their own custom image with policies in place you might be stuffed.

Thanks for the help guys, still having issues setting this up, i must be missing something here.

The card is a 3g card (which plugs in to the side of the laptop) and the latop is a T60 Lenovo which has an internal wirless networking adapter as well.

I can easily set up a peer to peer network with the laptop and my desktop, and then I share the 3G card on my laptop, the problem is that the desktop still cant get out to the internet.

All I really want to do is play some WoW and some light web browsing, so latency isnt really a concern.

Edited by Michael100

Thanks for the help guys, still having issues setting this up, i must be missing something here.

The card is a 3g card (which plugs in to the side of the laptop) and the latop is a T60 Lenovo which has an internal wirless networking adapter as well.

I can easily set up a peer to peer network with the laptop and my desktop, and then I share the 3G card on my laptop, the problem is that the desktop still cant get out to the internet.

All I really want to do is play some WoW and some light web browsing, so latency isnt really a concern.

Did you actually run ICS on the laptop?

If not try that first. Otherwise you may be able to do it by setting the laptop to a fixed Lanside IP, say 192.168.0.1 and then set the desktop to a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 with the default gateway being 192.168.0.1.

Oh and if you have and software firewall running on the latop you will have to configure it as well. Note that some software firewalls (like Zonealarm free) will not work with ICS at all.

Did you actually run ICS on the laptop?

If not try that first. Otherwise you may be able to do it by setting the laptop to a fixed Lanside IP, say 192.168.0.1 and then set the desktop to a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 with the default gateway being 192.168.0.1.

Oh and if you have and software firewall running on the latop you will have to configure it as well. Note that some software firewalls (like Zonealarm free) will not work with ICS at all.

Yep I definately am running ICS on the laptop but

I do have the firewall with my desktop AV, that could be the prob, will check on that, thanks

Yes you can share wireless internet but the person must be connected to the network via Lan Hub/ or wireless receiver aka; Wireless USB/ or Wireless card. I did this at my last lan I had and seems to work fine.

Read the posts index and you'll see he has all that.

Either assign IP's as stated or make sure the client's network settings are correct acquiring from the laptops DHCP.

Next time you want to test it, see if - from your desktop - you can ping 192.168.0.1 and if you can ping www.google.com.au

Pay special attention to when you ping google, see if it manages to resolve an IP address for it.

Rob.