oscarcharliezulu

Non-Atomican Atomican

God how I used to lust after the Amiga 1200 when I was younger, so sexy. A lust unfullfilled sadly though I do have a 500 (with genuine supereffective membrane keyboard), a 1000 and a 4000 hanging around here some bloody where.

As to fitting into the the forums apart from being opinionated and argumentative making an ass of yourself every now and then goes down well. ;{)

Ed: wonky memory.<sigh>

You have a 4000? GIMME! O.O

I currently have

2 x A500's

1 x A600

1 x A1200HD

1 x Amiga CD32

Other evidence against...

- I dont like Angry Birds. It makes me angry for no reason.

- Forum post speak makes no sense to me.

- Games benchmarks dont seem as interesting as Dhrystones and other old world types

- I dont online game because people are rude (I've seen my nephew online game and he turns into something.... nasty)

- I buy old Apple machines on eBay and upgrade them to use all over the house (I dont think an atomican really uses apple unless its at work or they are a graphic designer)

- I bought a Raspberry PI, waited f%&king forever for it, and only looked at it once. What is it actually good for? Should I really just attach a camera to it and launch it into space? What's the point? Maybe I should throw it into the ocean - can it webcast from a reef? I dont think so.

- My forum posts are so non-atomican that no one ever replies to them. Changing my ID didnt help.

- I hate Angry Birds - but not so much for the game (which is pointless but inoffensive), but for the touchscreen control methodology especially on a 'phone. The firing area does not give sufficient draw or angular resolution for accurate shots. IMO, of course.

- "Forum-Speak"...Well, honestly, doesn't bother me. Mostly it's either not important or can be checked against Urban Dictionary.

- Same here. But game 'benchmarks' do at least have better 'real world' application for most people.

- I don't game online either. After a couple of extended efforts, I've come to the conclusion that the world is filled with fuckheads, and I don't need that kind of shit when I'm trying to relax.

- Can't say I buy old machines of any stripe. Got enough trouble with buildup of my old ones without buying more.

- I rarely get any replies either, but more now than before. In my second year here, I considered changing my handle to ThreadEnder. ;P

For the record I often feel like a bit of a misfit here on the forums, but I don't really care. In other misfit situations I've come out the other end with really positive experiences. I like to read some of the tech threads to catch up on things. I love reading the green room even though sometimes it makes my brain go to jelly. I like it here.

Frankly, man, that would apply to just about all of those of us left. You need to be a bit of an oddball to hang around what most of the old guard consider a 'dying forum'.

Thread-ender is perfect. If its a dying forum then my timing is perfect. One of my problems is I read threads and respond but the threads are really really old, so no one even sees them. I think we have to be greedy and start our own.

So how old is too old for an old rig? My sister-in-law is still rocking my old celeron 1GHZ with 512MB ram to run MYOB and email for her business. About 200GB of IDE hard drives, has been running... for a very very long time, still good and has no reason to upgrade.

So how old is too old for an old rig? My sister-in-law is still rocking my old celeron 1GHZ with 512MB ram to run MYOB and email for her business. About 200GB of IDE hard drives, has been running... for a very very long time, still good and has no reason to upgrade.

IMO, if it still works and satisfies the needs of the job(s) it's doing, then replacing it is very much a luxury.

Things (usually spinning ones) in 'puters are known to break, however, and replacing them all too often leads to suddenly finding you need the latest and greatest just to run the current bloatware version of what you used to run in a tenth of the resources. :P

I currently have

2 x A500's

1 x A600

1 x A1200HD

1 x Amiga CD32

You need an A3000 (because their case was sexy), and an A2000 with the XT card, just to say you have a dual boot PC/Amiga <.>

Dont worry, I have never built a rig in my life. I have had a HDD thrown at me at a LAN once though lol.

Lots of us share hobbies or passions, but I dont think any of us are exactly the same. I think we all have a certain topic or hobby/passion that we kind have and that what links us, that level of enthusiasm for whatever that may be for each person is the same.

For me, I like anime, manga, Hello Kitty, weather radars, oh and im opinionated. I also play a bit of WoW and love my Nintendo 64. I FIT IN! :)

But I also dont fit in, for example I dont post in the tech sections. It's no biggy, as I said we all share the same level of enthusiasm for different things, there is no criteria or check list...except for maybe being able to spell and know the difference between their there and they're.

Edited by CheekyChops