Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
TheSingularity

Diablo 3, Has Anyone Actually Touched This Since Release?

Hi all,

As the title states I was wondering if anyone had actually played Diablo 3 since it's release back last year whenever it was? I'm currently checking it out again just for the hell of it, something to do over the weekend and maybe longer if I enjoy myself. Considering I finished Normal mode with a Wizard and then kind of left it at that. Never really had anyone to actually have a game with though anyway so that probably added to my quick loss of interest.

And yes to those who remember me although it hasn't been that long really, I kind of disappeared for a while and have only recently started lurking again.

So I'm also wondering what other games peeps have been playing and or are looking forward to. I know I'm definitely looking forward to StarDrive and ARMA 3 oh and Starcraft 2 HOTS which I plan on getting soon as my birthday is coming up along with the aforementioned games.

Anyway thanks for your time and any replies.

Oh and if your up for a bash add me under Powermaniac#6444.

Yeah, I just finished about a month of on/off messing with D3...Just about long enough to come up with this list. Picked it up as part of a bundle - I figure it was about $10 if it was an equal share of the price. That would have been twice what it was worth. I've now uninstalled it.

Pros:

It looks Nice.

Cons:

The replay value is very limited. Given that you have to finish a difficulty level in order to unlock the next level of difficulty, I am never going to play anything higher than the second (Nightmare). There are challenges which require stupid thing like "get two <class> to 60th level", to which I can only snort inn derision.

It drops out. A lot. Independently of the modem connection. Worse than just ceasing to play, it then locks the whole fucking machine up for about a minute for no apparent reason before going back to the character or logon menu (depending what kind of dropout happened). And if dropouts weren't enough, there are enormous lag bubbles: follower and monsters stop in place for anywhere from a second to a minute, and then the entire elapsed period resolves as if you'd spent it doing nothing. That's almost always a character death if a mob was close by - which means hardcore play is completely mythical.

Loot is utterly worthless. Even by the time I'd finished the easiest difficulty with one class (of five), I could safely ignore any drops less than yellow/rare. The blues were only worth breaking down - their resale value was about a 20th of merchant price, and they sure weren't worth listing in the auction house.

Speaking of the AH... Items I could buy from any merchant for about $2k are listed for $50k - and merely "nice" ones for a mil+. What the everloving FUCK???

You have no control of the item you are supposedly crafting. Pony up a lot of money and a few crafting materials and receive... Well, it could be nice. Much more likely, though, is that it's going to be an enormous load of crap, suitable only for recycling.

Didn't even finish it, got bored with the content, annoyed with the lag and drop outs and tired of the relentless clicking. It was pretty to look at though. I'm in no hurry to re-install it.

Just getting back into Crusader Kings 2 now after taking a break from it and remembering why I enjoyed it so much first time around. Other than that a bit of Guild Wars 2 and F1 2012.

G

I gave it a good whirl, finished normal with three characters and then haven't been back since. I played D2 more than any game I've ever owned but the bullshit with the constant lag and drop-outs when trying to play a single player game completely ruined Diablo for me.

-X

I got to lvl 16ish (i think) on the regular difficulty setting with one character. Haven't touched it since.

Luckily for me Guild Wars 2 came out. Fucking awesome game. Best mmo I've ever played (to be fair I've only played like four others, but still...).

I still play now and then, got all classes to 60 (with complete clear of inferno on wizard/barb/demonhunter/witchdoctor) except monk which is 50, the thing that annoys me the most is: i spent about $80 in the RMAH for gold and a weapon that wasnt available on the GoldAH, even thou ive made $63 of it back, was farming act4 inferno on mp5 very efficiently on my barbarian, then blizz buffed inferno to the point where i die very often in mp0, its now better to farm act3 hell mode on mp4-7 then act4 inferno mp0... wtfblizz

Cons:

The replay value is very limited. Given that you have to finish a difficulty level in order to unlock the next level of difficulty, I am never going to play anything higher than the second (Nightmare). There are challenges which require stupid thing like "get two to 60th level", to which I can only snort inn derision.

It's easy to snort derisively, but it's always better to put in things for overachievers who, so to speak, have no life. Just because something is obtainable, it doesn't mean you will be able/willing to obtain it.

Speaking of the AH... Items I could buy from any merchant for about $2k are listed for $50k - and merely "nice" ones for a mil+. What the everloving FUCK???

Inflation sucks.

You have no control of the item you are supposedly crafting. Pony up a lot of money and a few crafting materials and receive... Well, it could be nice. Much more likely, though, is that it's going to be an enormous load of crap, suitable only for recycling.

Crafting is basically a gold sink, to take it out of the economy.

Game is much better now than it was on release.

I don't play it often, but I occasionally load it up and do a key run or paragon XP run.

I finished inferno when it came out with my WD/barb and sold some gear when the RMAH was stupidly priced, haven't touched it since except to run some friends through inferno now that it's so much easier.

got to love blizz's funky maths, your profile says: Elite Kills: 11341. 2,197 on your barb and 36 on your monk, which is well short of 11k unless you deleted a few characters? wheres my profile has the correct figures tally'd total'd for all my toons put together 3755(barb)+1695(DH)+1620(wiz)+1103(WD)+779(monk)=8972 lifetime kills

i jumped on it for a little bit recently, got to paragon level 11. But i kind of feel like a bot when i play that game, my attention span has faded out again since picking it back up. (that pvp patch was a let down)

I will probably jump back on when an expansion comes out

I will probably jump back on when an expansion comes out

I don't think I'll bother at all. Unless some very major changes happen, anyway. The "online for SP" thing is a deal-breaker for anything less than "riveting" - and D3 is very long way from that.

I can cope with needing to be online to verify; I can see why you'd need the server to oversee items you intend to sell to other players... Neither of those necessitates the sort of bullshit that happens currently, however. Neither is there any excuse for the 'crafting' system, which is on par with the 'gambling' systems of both D2 and Torchlight. That said bullshit does occur is either stupidity or bloodymindedness.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Played it for a few hours and my overriding thought was "meh".

Just getting back into Crusader Kings 2 now after taking a break from it and remembering why I enjoyed it so much first time around.

Just an amazing game is Crusader Kings 2. Utterly brilliant.

Have you played with the CK2+ mod? Since installing it I wouldn't go back to vanilla CK2. It introduces a lot of balances and tweaks that actually makes the game a little harder and a lot more immersive. I won't play it without CK2+ now. Give it a go and see what you think.

Occasionally give it a kick.

Been about a month since last attempt.

Patches are making it a little more interesting. I think once they finish 'balancing' it, it should be more fun. I hate developing a strategy, only to have it nullified from some tweak or another.

Things I think need fixing:

Crafting

That's about it. I love crafting, and the pure RNG nature of it I hate. Ideally, I'd love something like:

X materials and gold = random item.

Add a gem to it and you can select the primary attribute (Still RNG as to power, but higher power gem = higher potential)

Add costs to customize it but limit it to something like "There are 5 possible affixes on this item and you can only influence 3".

Make it possible that a 'standard' recipe has a chance (Maybe 0.00001%) chance you'll craft something Legendary.

AD

Played it for a few hours and my overriding thought was "meh".

Just getting back into Crusader Kings 2 now after taking a break from it and remembering why I enjoyed it so much first time around.

Just an amazing game is Crusader Kings 2. Utterly brilliant.

Have you played with the CK2+ mod? Since installing it I wouldn't go back to vanilla CK2. It introduces a lot of balances and tweaks that actually makes the game a little harder and a lot more immersive. I won't play it without CK2+ now. Give it a go and see what you think.

Haven't tried the mod, I'm running it with all expansions though. Very much looking forward to the Old Gods expansion later this year - finally playable pagan factions! I'll check out that mod while I wait, thanks for the tip. Although I'm slightly worried by "a lot more immersive", that game sucks me right in as it is...

G

/threadhijack