Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×

My motherboard has a bent CPU pin. Is it now useless?

Use a tiny flat blade screwdriver to try and push it into position.

Be careful you don't snap the pin.

If it does break off, it might still work without it as not all of them are essential. You can sometimes get them to sit back there as well. Ghetto Computing!

If the screw driver option is a bit tight... try a "clutch pencil" to slide over the pin and gently straigten it.

Just thinking while typing, ... a Biro/pen cover or pencil may be too big ....

Tooth pics are good to, and don't forget that the socket will straighten the pins a bit, that works if they are deep enough to be effective.

Breaking a pin off ... I havent done since the Thunderbird (AMD2, opteron, etc(?)) less pins per cm than todays bulldozer. It worked, IMHO, lucky.

I had the same issue with an old AMD CPU pin.

As mentioned try to bend it back in, what i used was a razor blade so i could align it with the other pins.

Once you have a CPU back in don't bother to remove it again, when i removed mine a few months later the pin snapped off.

But me being me i put it into the socket on the mobo and the system ran fine till i replaced it a few years later.

You can move it back into place with a leadless pencil. Put the pin inside the tip of the pen and just move it into place again.

As already mentioned, if the pin can be moved back into place, then there shoudn't be any problems.

This happened to one of my older AMD CPU and its still running fine to this day