Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
fajw

AMD GPU scaling won't work

Posted Image

I want to use GPU scaling but it's not working. I am using a 7870 and the latest AMD software. Any ideas?

Edited by fajw

You need to be running the display at a non-native resolution for GPU scaling to be usable.

GPU scaling resizes an image on a display to avoid stretching when you're running in a resolution that differs from the display's width by height ratio.

Edited by aliali

Thanks for the reply. I know what GPU scaling is; I just don't know how to use it; the options are not selectable.

Edited by fajw

I just don't know how to use it; the options are not selectable.

You need to be running the display at a non-native resolution for GPU scaling to be usable.

so if you lower the res you should then be able to select it Edited by Dasa

I want to use GPU scaling for games and lowering the desktop resolution doesn't help.

Make sure you turn off scaling on your monitor.

With GPU scaling on, what should happen is, if you jump on a game and set a lower res, it should scale it properly, however if your monitor has a scaling setting, then that will expand the image.

Oh wait, nvm, just re-read first post.

The actual issue is that you can't change the scaling settings to maintain aspect ratio or something like that?

not sure if it makes a difference but the drivers say it is for hdmi what connection which im guessing your not using as i doubt you could run 2560x1440 over it with that hardware

the monitor has built in scaling but im not sure if there is a quality difference

Edited by Dasa

not sure if it makes a difference but the drivers say it is for hdmi what connection which im guessing your not using as i doubt you could run 2560x1440 over it with that hardware

the monitor has built in scaling but im not sure if there is a quality difference

Just had a play around and GPU scaling works on DVI.

Steps to use it.

Change display to a non-native res.

Tick enable GPU scaling and then select "maintain aspect ratio", "scale Image to full panel size" or "use centre timings".

Hover your mouse over each option for a description of what they do.

Apply the changes and then set monitor back to native resolution.

GPU scaling should now work in game. Just tried it with BF2 set to 1280x1024 on my Dell 16x10 1920x1200 monitor.

I had DVI settings set to alternate mode.

With "use centre timings" BF2 ran in a box in the centre of the screen (black bars top and bottom and down each side).

In "scale Image to full panel size" BF2 filled the screen with, I presume some cut off top and bottom of the view.

With "maintain aspect ratio" I had black bars on each side as I should.

So it does work on DVI.

Edited by aliali

I've got it working now. The problem is it doesn't work when you are using multiple monitors.

doesnt seem to work for me with display port and one monitor

Edited by Dasa

doesnt seem to work for me with display port and one monitor

Display port may be a different kettle of fish and as I have no DP devices I can't test it myself.

ok it works just not at 1920x1080 works fine at 1920x1200 or 1680x1050 though