Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

XP -> 7 (maybe 8)

So I am currently running XP on my desktop and want to upgrade soon as the support will end in about a year.

I live in Japan and got my desktop custom built about 7 years ago. As such, the OS, XP, is Japanese language. I'd like to get an English language version this time. I guess this is no issue.

Can I get the upgrade pack, that seems to be the cheaper pack, and upgrade from XP? Or, do I need to buy a full version?

How does the installation work? Does it just install over the top of all existing programs, such that the only thing that changes is Windows? Or, does it format and delete everything so I need to reinstall everything again?

Also, I currently only have 2Gb of RAM. How much RAM should I get for 7 or 8? Would 4Gb be sufficient or would 6-8Gb be better?

Cheers

I think you can buy the upgrade based on the XP licence, but you won't actually be able to upgrade and keep your settings and etc, especially if you go with Win8 - you'll need to backup your stuff, it'll do a fresh install, and etc

I'd suggest 8 over 7.

They'll both use any extra RAM for caching stuff, so I'd suggest 8GB, just to make things a little smoother.

I would get 8 over 7.

I usually just buy the OEM version, upgrade should be fine however.

You will be better off just formatting your drive.

4GB should be more than enough.

Can't do an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without a total wipe of the OS.

Best solution is to grab the latest Windows easy transfer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...r-to-windows-8/

With this all your documents and settings will get transferred to the new install, however if you use non-Microsoft web browsers and email clients I would make sure to do separate backups of bookmarks, emails and address books, just in case. In fact I tend to do a manual backup/copy of personal files as a precaution, just in case it goes pear shaped.

Also make sure you get an personal files that some programmes seem to insist on storing in their installation folders.

Once you have restored to the new OS Easy Transfer will give you a report on what was transferred and what programmes where on the old installation and if they need installing in the new installation. Handy. You can always access this from Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Windows Easy Transfer Reports.

As for OS choice, not a big fan of 8's UI I find it "difficult" in some respects, and you will have to make sure that all your hardware is supported. Driver support in Win 8 is a bit patchy ATM.

Use the upgrade assistant

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows...de-to-windows-8 to check.

Ram wise 4Gb is fine but 8Gb is better IMO.

Hardware compatibility, now that's something I'll have to check for win 8. I kind of like 8 after having a look at it. I suppose the 'Desktop' tab from the Start menu gets the old style menu back so you can bring up things like Windows Explorer easily?

How do you go about formatting etc? Do you uninstall all your programs using their uninstall function or the Add/Remove programs from Control Panel, and once you've done that run some kind of format, then install new Windows? Or does the simple act of installing new Windows format & delete everything anyway?

Cheers

When you reboot the PC with the install media attached (I prefer USB flash storage, but optical too) you'll get a chance to wipe the partitions/drive and etc if you, I think, hit the advanced option. You won't need to uninstall anything, just back up what you want to keep to another partition/drive.

Windows 8 is fun to USE, I find it HELL to configure.

I'm usually one for change, I like new versions. I actually LIKED vista (i know!)

I just cant seem to disable enough of the 'wizards' and wierd aero effects, slide in menus and shit on Windows 8 to be 'efficient' anymore. Hell, getting to network adapters is hard since the 'network sharing centre' in windows 7 and now its even harder.

I wonder, can we do the old Windows 95-98 trick? Replace Win8's Explorer.exe with Win7's Explorer.exe, assuming we have SFC turned off of course....

Network adaptors?

As in, right click the systray icon, or right click the network icon in an explorer window, and then click adaptor settings? o.0

Thanks for the replies.

I ran that hardware tester and it looks like my DVD player isn't compatible with Windows 8, so I suppose I'll have to go with 7.

If I purchase an English version of 7 will there be any problems installing it? Maybe the DOS or something is in Japanese?

Also, I went to a computer store to ask a couple of things, and regarding the DVD issue a worker said that there is some program you can download that may allow me to use it even with 8. Anyone know what he's talking about?

I ran that hardware tester and it looks like my DVD player isn't compatible with Windows 8, so I suppose I'll have to go with 7.

Reckon that might be an error as any IDE or SATA optical device should work fine with Win7 or Win8.

Even if for some weird reason it is not compatible a replacement drive is not a big ticket item.

Edited by aliali

Yep, thats an error. as a rule of thumb, anything that worked on Windows 7 will work on Windows 8. There are exceptions, like if it was already stretching its lifespan....

But even if it were correct (its not, your DVD drive is fine), don't let a $10 device make you step a couple of years back in OS.

Your DVD drive is fine.

DOS no longer exists, hasn't since Windows98 (well not in the way you mean, it has nothing to do with windows), and regardless of visual language, the coding language is universal and will work regardless of what language packs you have installed on things.

Worst case scenario? $10 DVD Drive, and 90mb Language pack download.

Reality? Your DVD drive is 100% OK, a drive cant be incompatible like that, and your language wont matter one bit.

Network adaptors?

As in, right click the systray icon, or right click the network icon in an explorer window, and then click adaptor settings? o.0

If I right click my only options are 'troubleshoot' or 'network sharing center'.

It's still easy, just I hate that it takes extra clicks. I have to work on probably 50 PC's a week in the adaptor settings and its just another step. especially if the PC is spywared to hell, that graphical sharing center can take minutes to load, lol.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand :D

Do you actually use your DVD drive for anything? Apart from installing Windows, which can be easily fixed.

Like the others said, whether there's an actual issue or not, it's ultimately inconsequential.

Your OS should outlast your DVD drive.

Did you mean, your DVD drive should outlast your OS, Nich?

Thanks for that, then. Next question:

Looking at amazon Japan they have two varieties of 8 for sale - DSP and normal(?). The DSP is cheaper by about $50. Is it one of those ones where you can use it only once, it registers to your mobo, or something? Whereas the normal one can be used on any machine, but only one at a time, again and again?

Cheers

Edit: Sorry, to answer your question, Nich. I dont suppose I do use my DVD much these days. However, there are times when I do use it and it would be good to have. Some old games, occasional movie, burning photo albums of the family etc.

Edited by atosniper

your DVD drive will be fine, put it out of mind.

and yeah DSP is like OEM.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php...6-Windows-8-DSP

Though dont worry about it 'linking' to your hardware. While it does, if you legitimately are replacing stuff (and even if you're not.... shhhh) you phone the microsoft helpline, say "yes im reinstalling on the same machine" and they'll give you a code to activate. They wont argue. I know ogf a company using the same home version of a certain OS, for 40 business machines using this trick.

Your "DVD player"?

Sure it's not just saying your DVD playback software isn't compatible? (In which case, Windows 8 can play DVDs without additional software)

I can see no way that a PATA or SATA DVD drive would be incompatible, unless the adaptor it's connected to is incompatible.

Hmm, probably SS. Literally translated it says 'Please install application for playback of DVDs.' So yeah I guess that sounds more like software, doesnt it. And would explain what the guy at the shop was saying too.

(In which case, Windows 8 can play DVDs without additional software)

Actually it doesn't according to most reports/reviews i've read. Haven't checked it myself though.

Easy fix is to use something like VLC for dvd playback.

(In which case, Windows 8 can play DVDs without additional software)

Actually it doesn't according to most reports/reviews i've read. Haven't checked it myself though.

Easy fix is to use something like VLC for dvd playback.

They removed it, and Media Centre. You were able to get that free for months, but now it's $5 I think. Though, as said above VLC will suffice :-P

Things other than VLC still exist?

Well i suppose there is mplayer and front ends.... but even XBMC switched to VLC player from mplayer i believe......

DIE BAD SOFTWARE! WITHER IN THE LIGHT!

Things other than VLC still exist?

Well i suppose there is mplayer and front ends.... but even XBMC switched to VLC player from mplayer i believe......

DIE BAD SOFTWARE! WITHER IN THE LIGHT!

Personally I prefer WMP Classic HC for video file playback, but VLC is better for optical media and ISOs.

doesnt WMP classic require codecs though?

easiest way to keep a stabe windows install is to use entirely portable apps where possible. Something i practice.

doesnt WMP classic require codecs though?

easiest way to keep a stabe windows install is to use entirely portable apps where possible. Something i practice.

Nope like VLC they are all internal unless you want to use external codecs for some reason.

well that shows how long its been since ive used it.

Last time I used it it at minimum needed Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative. Which VLC player now doesn't.

Cosidering how much i love the .rm codec, its a big thing to me.

well that shows how long its been since ive used it.

Last time I used it it at minimum needed Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative. Which VLC player now doesn't.

Cosidering how much i love the .rm codec, its a big thing to me.

Ah never tried it with realmedia files as I don't use them. However a quick test with a downloaded .ram file does gives a "cannot render file" error, so seems no internal support for real media files.