Sign in to follow this  
spankdmonke

Is ADSL 1 crap for gaming?

It's pretty slow, you'll probably find YouTube will have to buffer for a while (especially if you live far from the exchange). Gaming might be ok, but that depends on your modem/router and how many people will be sharing the connection.

I highly recommend looking into a cable connection if possible.

Aw god, i am have such a hard time choosing an ISP

Seems i cant get Naked ADSL in my area so i have to pay for a phone line i wont use

Dont know who's laggy and what

Naked just works out to the same price as having a phone line.

It's pretty pointless.

TPG offer free phone rental for some of their plans.

That's ADSL 2 sorry, haven't checked their ADSL 1 plans.

It's pretty pointless.

EDIT: Nevermind. I had a big dilemma with naked adsl2 and its availability/connecting a phone through Telstra, all this and more. I figured it out, its not available here so i just get TPG's and pay for a phone i wont use. thanks

Edited by spankdmonke

It's pretty pointless.

EDIT: Nevermind. I had a big dilemma with naked adsl2 and its availability/connecting a phone through Telstra, all this and more. I figured it out, its not available here so i just get TPG's and pay for a phone i wont use. thanks

You can't have a phone at all with a naked connection, that's the whole point of it, no active dial tone at all.

Personally I would avoid naked like the plague as it makes troubleshooting line issues a lot more difficult.

There have also been cases of people losing their ADSL connection because a slack tech stole their line for another house. I say slack because they only checked for a dial tone and if none is present they assume the line is unused.

Add to that the "wetting current" provided by an active phone line can actually make your ADSL work a bit better.

Oh and FYI 1500/256 is not ADSL 1 it is rate limited ADSL. ADSL 1 is 8000/384.

Oh and please avoid DODO, their support is so bad now I will not help anyone with a DODO connection if the help involves calling their help desk.

I am not going to wait on the phone for an hour to be told there is nothing wrong when there obviously is.

I just CBF trying to get them to acknowledge a fault any more.

Actually I can't even see any 1500/256 plans on their website, they are all best effort ADSL 2+. So if you are on an ADSL 1 only RIM (probably why you can't get a naked plan) then your speed will be up to 8000/384 depending on line length and quality.

ADSL1 max (8000/256) works ok for gaming and some youtube (occasionally requires buffering). dont expect nice low pings somewhere from 40+ is my averageon the gold coast.

ADSL1 max (8000/256) works ok for gaming and some youtube (occasionally requires buffering). dont expect nice low pings somewhere from 40+ is my averageon the gold coast.

Actually for gaming 1500/256 is also fine, gaming doesn normally use a lot of bandwidth unless you are hosting a multiplayer game.

Pings won't vary a lot (if at all) with the different speeds.

I am nominally on ADSL 2+ but due to line length my actual speeds are around 2500/800 and I have no issues playing BF2/3, CoD, COH and whatever.

Silly; dont just get frustrated and pay for something you wont use.

Try Exetel; been with them for 4 years, and so have many other atomicans.

$50ish a month, phone line included, unlimited ADSL2+.

TPG use big proxy's and over-sell their network. Expect bad gaming lag when not on their servers.

DoDo are rumored to have great XBOX live pings, prioritizing their traffic, but who knows. The rest of the service is too poor to recommend.

Exetel, have built a small version of what iiNet\Internode have, that is their own Dark Fiber network; and also rented some additional backbone from Optus.

Ive had pings as low as 16ms in DOTA2 on that connection, with only a 4mbps sync rate.

Ive now switched to Internode, but to be honest, I don't know why. I have both connections in the house, 'node is mine, exetel is the other housemates now. Both are flawless.

Avoid TPG and DODO unless you plan to use ONLY their servers; I speak from experience there. Also if you file share at all, TPG will frustrate you with their proxy 'bans' internet wide.

As a note, If your ADSL2+ syncs below 8Mbps, its often worth setting your modem to ADSL1 mode anyway. You'll get a more stable connection and typically lose 10ms of ping (good!). Though you have to test, every connection is different and its highly dependant on your SnR ratio.

TLDR?

Phone Exetel. Avoid TPG and DODO.

TPG use big proxy's

Also if you file share at all, TPG will frustrate you with their proxy 'bans' internet wide.

This stopped in '09-'10, actually.

Edited by SquallStrife

TPG use big proxy's

Also if you file share at all, TPG will frustrate you with their proxy 'bans' internet wide.

Do people who were previously on them, remain on them? Because one of my best mates still gets rapidshare blocked errors, and forums 'we have banned your IP' messages.

Thanks everyone.

This is how im looking at it now (all with phone line):

TPG - $60 Unlimited

Exetel - $60 300GB Peak, Unmetered off-peak

Internode - $60 300GB

iinet - too expensive

Exetel:

300GB is abit scary, i dont want to go over it and have to pay more. Though its probably hard to go over that even if constantly watching youtube? Unmetered off-peak is unlimited right? at the night times... This doesnt sound too bad (makes it harder to go over 300GB)

Internode:

Its a pitty Internode doesn't have any unlimited/unmetered off-peak, just so i can order the Billion 7800NL straight from them.

TPG: safe, unlimited, crappier connection.

Edited by spankdmonke

TPG use big proxy's

Do people who were previously on them, remain on them? Because one of my best mates still gets rapidshare blocked errors, and forums 'we have banned your IP' messages.

He should get in touch with TPG then: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...25&p=7#r121

Maybe he has one set and has forgotten about it.

Ok, ill do this one. Thanks alot man. The free TP Link TD-W8951ND is not bad? Or still worth it to get Billion 7800NL later on some time?

Edit: When i sign up it says i need (existing/active phone number connected at premises) ah damn it, its making me do the TPG naked/telstra run around thing again. On TPG's site it says i could have a soft dial tone and to find out the old number i call 12722123. Ill try this out this arvo when i get a phone.

Edited by spankdmonke

Its a pitty Internode doesn't have any unlimited/unmetered off-peak, just so i can order the Billion 7800NL straight from them.

Why would you buy a 7800NL off Internode if not using there network?

Internode price is $159.00

PCCasgear price $99.00

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15723

Warcom $105.00

http://www.warcom.com.au/products/22188_bi...firewall_router

TP-Link has always been solid for me. Budget, but solid.

I gambled on them when they were first brand new from China, unheard of. Their first batch is STILL going strong for my clients, and the first bacth is still going strong.

Google reviews say that modem runs fairly warm (so dont put it in a cupboard), but that seems to be the only negative thing i can see.

Give it a try before you order a second modem. It'll work at the least.

If you think its crap when it gets there, you'll only have to wait 3 days for a new one to arrive (if you mail order); once again, dont waste money untill you know.

as for sign up; no. You'll be fine because you're ordering WITH a phone line bundled for that price.

When I went naked I had to pay the extra $90 once off to get telstra to connect a line first, then have it disconnected; but this shouldnt be an issue with a bundled service.

don't know if you've already chosen an ISP yet, but go with a company that has australian support staff... internode/iinet, is exetell australian based?

Why would you buy a 7800NL off Internode if not using there network?

Internode price is $159.00

True

as for sign up; no. You'll be fine because you're ordering WITH a phone line bundled for that price.

Yea i know, but the site is asking me for my home number. which i might be able to find out thru that soft dial tone number i said. But yea customer sales over the phone probably doesnt need that.

I'm on TPG and I get lower pings in games than most other players.

Some people have bad experiences, but they shouldn't speak for everyone.

But there are other good deals out there. All up to what suits you.

Edited by bushi

don't know if you've already chosen an ISP yet, but go with a company that has australian support staff... internode/iinet, is exetell australian based?

Nope Sri Lanca. I've never had a shorter hold time (non existant), nor more helpful staff though. All of them knew everything ive talked about, and not once have i had a problem.

I had one billing error which was fixed, and double credited to say sorry, and one line speed issuel the call went as such:

"I'd like to be moved onto a higher risk profile please, I know my Signal to noise ratiop is high, but i'd like to try it"

"Sure sir, thats done. Anything else?"

"oh.... um no! thank you!"

Also they happi;ly agreed to do some routing magic on their end to reduce my pings to my favorite game servers when I provided the IPs i wanted to favor.

This has been such a hassle. Im so over it. No connected phone, a tin roof which gives the shittiest phone reception and wi-fi

Exetel - cant do it, optus has no infrastructure here.

TPG - cant do it, need to get a Telsta to hook up the phone line 1st. which is going to end up costing more.

Telstra - cant do it, it all works out to be too expensive for such little GB's

Clubtelco - cant do it, cost too much for a phone line and internet

Its settled... (sigh)

Vodafone Pocket WiFi hanging out of my window - $49 a month 14GB, atleast its better than the $29 prepaid 2GB i have now -.-

*goes off to have a smoke*

actually, what i need is a drink :D

Thanks anyway guys, much appreciated. Ill keep all this in mind for when i move house

Edited by spankdmonke

get telstra to hook up a line first then.

It costs $60 or something to do it, then $90 for an early cancelation. Its a once off thing.

curiously; have you checked to see if theres cable?