Sign in to follow this  
spankdmonke

Is ADSL 1 crap for gaming?

As said.

HOOK UP A FREAKING LINE WITH TELSTRA!!!! I don't understand the problem..

I got wireless dongle internet when I first moved out. I cancelled it within 2 months because I kept going over cap and it was terrible.

i've never found my ADSL! to be good enough, but some will be fine with it.

have a look at clubtelco, they have very good plans

TP-Link has always been solid for me. Budget, but solid.

Yep had a couple myself at one stage and they where good, at least the Broadcom chipsets ones where, hanging on to the connection like grim death.

These where the TD-W8920G and TD-W8960N. I only upgraded to the Billion 7800N (broadcom again) because I wanted Gigabit Ethernet and TP-Link had no Gigabit modems at the time.

Why Broadcom chipsets? because I have a very long copper line with a 59dB attenuation and the Broadcom chipset is noted for being very good on long and bad lines.

don't know if you've already chosen an ISP yet, but go with a company that has australian support staff... internode/iinet, is exetell australian based?

Internode has an Adelaide based call centre. Iinet has on in AU (WA I think), one in South Africa, and where planning one in South America (may be running now).

IInets reason for this is it gives them 24 hour support without having shifts working in the same call centre 24/7.

Apparently works for them.

Exetel I have only had to ring once for a customer and I got a support dude in Sri Lanka (I asked him his location out of curiosity). Was fairly easy to understand and seemed to have been fairly well trained. At least he got the issue sorted for us. Only downside was the wait time was about 30 minutes.

Edited by aliali

Also they happi;ly agreed to do some routing magic on their end to reduce my pings to my favorite game servers when I provided the IPs i wanted to favor.

Honestly, this is one of the few actually advantageous things I've heard about Exetel.

Vodafone Pocket WiFi hanging out of my window - $49 a month 14GB, atleast its better than the $29 prepaid 2GB i have now -.-

Two months of Wireless access and you'd have a phone line paid for, and masses more data.

ADSL 1 vs ADSL 2 speeds starts to make very little difference once your more than 3.5km form the exchange:

Posted Image

Sadly being one of those people in the 5% who are essentially at the end of the line I have tried both ADSL 1 and 2 to try and solve some stability problems. In the end the real difference was the uploads were much worse (read 30kb/s vs 100kb/s) on ADSL1 so after fixing something with the line I'm back in ADSL2 and much happier for it.

As for gaming... well it's all about latency most of the time and latency at distance is barely different. If you need more than 30kb/s up though you may have issues.

don't know if you've already chosen an ISP yet, but go with a company that has australian support staff... internode/iinet, is exetell australian based?

Internode has an Adelaide based call centre. Iinet has on in AU (WA I think), one in South Africa, and where planning one in South America (may be running now).

IInets reason for this is it gives them 24 hour support without having shifts working in the same call centre 24/7.

Apparently works for them.

Exetel I have only had to ring once for a customer and I got a support dude in Sri Lanka (I asked him his location out of curiosity). Was fairly easy to understand and seemed to have been fairly well trained. At least he got the issue sorted for us. Only downside was the wait time was about 30 minutes.

the best experience i ever had was when i changed (well churned i think is the right term) from my chariot netconnect plan (now TPG) to my iinet, the guy on teh phone explained how it worked, how long it takes and i don't think i've ever been that impressed with someones knowledge since... the only thing was internode went cheaper (about a year later - and i wasn't locked into a plan) and i switched again and been with node ever since

but +1 to those who have said 'get telstra to install the line already'

Edited by corky

get telstra to hook up a line first then.

It costs $60 or something to do it, then $90 for an early cancelation. Its a once off thing.

curiously; have you checked to see if theres cable?

http://www.connectnow.com.au/utilities/telephone/plans-cost/

One-off installation fees

connectnow will inform you of which installation fees will be relevant to your home and might even be able to recommend other options for you. Typical installation fees include:

New connection $299 applies to:

Phone lines that have not been connected before

Phone lines that have been disconnected for longer than 12 months; or

Phone lines installed by another provider (eg. Optus)

Note: This fee can be waived if a Telstra bundled product is taken

Fee for line installation

$125 if a Telstra technician is required (What they mean here is if the tech has to visit the premises to check or connect the premises end wires)

$59 if an exchange appointment only is required

Yes it's connectnow, but those are the Telstra fees, having trouble finding them on the Telstra site, because it is such an arsehole of a site to navigate.

Edited by aliali

Well, i went into Vodafone today to get that stupid pocket wifi plan. And like Telstra said 2 months ago when i tryed to hook up the phone for TPG, vodafone said the same thing; My credit rating wont let me do it. I thought i sorted this out... Thought it was to do with an electricity bill. So now im applying for a personal credit application to view wtf is going on. Once i sort this, and maybe chill out abit, i might start to think rational and get a proper plan with either iinet, telstra, clubtelco, tpg. Their $60 plans are actually $90 including $30 for an active phone line. I do end up paying about $90 a month now for 6GB pre-paid.

Edited by spankdmonke

Did it tell you how far from the exchange or whatever?

I think this is it:

"You are 1500m from PDPT as the crow flies.

Estimated cable length of 2188m

Estimated speed of 12666

Zone 2"

Edited by spankdmonke

Did it tell you how far from the exchange or whatever?

I think this is it:

"You are 1500m from PDPT as the crow flies.

Estimated cable length of 2188m

Estimated speed of 12666

Zone 2"

Paradise Point QLD?

The zone 2 means TW based plans only.

According to the Telstra wholesale Capacity Report at

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/downloa...nd-adslex03.xls there are 752 ADSL 2+ ports and no ADSL 1 ports at that exchange, however because of some problem the report does not list the number of free ports.

Ok what this means to you for ADSL.

Assuming there are ports free you can only get TW based plans, often called Reach or Off-net. You cannot get a naked ADSL plan with any ISP at all.

The ADSL Enabled DA report does list the following RIMs and CMUXs in your area

As far as speed goes the

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA022 BAYVIEW ST HLYWL

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 CITIE DRV CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 GEORGIA ST CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 LAINE PL CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 MYOLA CRT CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 ROBIN AVE PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 THE ESTUARY CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 THE ESTUARY RD CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 TRANTER PL CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA032 ZAC AVE CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA036 ESPLANADE S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA036 HANSFORD RD CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA036 ROBIN AVE PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA036 SANCTUARY CRT CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA036 TARNI ST CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA036 THE ESPLANADE CMBBAH

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA042 CURRIGEE ST S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA042 DOEBLIEN DRV S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA042 ISLAND ST S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA042 TIPPLERS TRACK S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA043 BRADY ST S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA043 COOK ST S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA043 DOEBLIEN DRV S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA043 FOREST TRK S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA043 SHOVELLER AVE PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA043 SIGANTA ST S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA043 VIEVERS RD S STRDBRKE

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA047 HAMPTON CORS PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA047 HAMPTON CRT PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA047 KNIGHTSBRIDGE PDE PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA047 KNIGHTSBRIDGE PDE EAST PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA047 KNIGHTSBRIDGE PDE WEST PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA047 ROYAL ALBERT PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA047 ROYAL ALBERT CRS PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA047 THE SOVEREIGN MILE PDSE PT

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA048

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA051 BAYVIEW ST HLYWL

QLD PARADISE POINT - QLD PDPT DA051 ROBIN AVE PDSE PT

Andit is likely these are mostly ADSL 1 only, so if connected to one of these DAs that is the speed you will be limited too. Again only Off-net/reach type plans.

And there is a fair chance a lot of these Rims and CMUXs will be out of ports too.

Whats a "TW based plan" ?

Telstra Wholesale. So any connection on a Telstra DSLAM.

I'd say it's better.

I was on a 1500/256 plan with ~25ms ping, now with a 8000/384 plan i get ~35-40ms. But then that's part of the compromise between speed/stability.

Most games wouldn't saturate a 1500/256k connection, although extra upload is always better. When in games with multiple players it might make a bigger difference though.

Can i get ADSL with iinet?

Im going through the sign up and its asking me to choose between 1500/256k and 8000/384k, is this ADSL1 and ADSL2? i choose 8000/384k right?

Has anyone got a Netgear DGND3700? In Tech Life magazine (march) its under "best value" in the buyers guide... "super fast, excellent firmware"

Edited by spankdmonke

Can i get ADSL with iinet?

Im going through the sign up and its asking me to choose between 1500/256k and 8000/384k, is this ADSL1 and ADSL2? i choose 8000/384k right?

Has anyone got a Netgear DGND3700? In Tech Life magazine (march) its under "best value" in the buyers guide... "super fast, excellent firmware"

Yes under their off-net plans

http://www.iinet.net.au/internet/broadband/adsl/

and click the off-net tab.

8000/384 is ADSL1.

1500/256 is ADSL 1 speed limited.

If you want faster than 1500/256 on Off-net you have to add the turbo pack at an extra $10.00 a month and Iinet will provide the fastest connection your line will handle. This may be up to 8000/384 or up to 20000/1000 depending on the hardware you are connected too at the exchange or RIM (sort of a mini street side exchange). Note the up to because the actual speed will depend on line length from the exchange and the quality of the line.

A rough guide to speeds, all other things being equal, can be seen at http://www.internode.on.net/residential/ad...nd/performance/

As far as the DGND3700 apparently the V1 was supposedly troublesome, not sure about the V2.

The V2 should have DGND3700 V2 on the bottom as per the links here

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...0&p=19#r372 in mascotte's post.

Big thread here

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1680230

/edit

If going with Iinet perhaps just get the 1500/256 plan and try it out. Once you know how gaming goes on it and you have actual sync speeds you can decide whether to spend the extra on the turbo pack.

Edited by aliali

If you want faster than 1500/256 on Off-net you have to add the turbo pack at an extra $10.00 a month and Iinet will provide the fastest connection your line will handle. This may be up to 8000/384 or up to 20000/1000 depending on the hardware you are connected too at the exchange or RIM (sort of a mini street side exchange). Note the up to because the actual speed will depend on line length from the exchange and the quality of the line.

A rough guide to speeds, all other things being equal, can be seen at http://www.internode.on.net/residential/ad...nd/performance/

Ok thanks.

that test i did b4 says "Estimated speed of 12666" wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by spankdmonke

Ok thanks.

that test i did b4 says "Estimated speed of 12666" wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Nope that check is only a guess at your speed based on an estimated (and sometimes wrong) phone line length. It does not take in to account anything else, it is just a best guess.

So if you had an ADSL2+ capable DSLAM you might bet 12.6 Mbit down speed, if lucky and if all the stars and planets are aligned right.

If it is purely for gaming, have you considered 4g wireless? Maybe try it out before committing to it fully though.

If it is purely for gaming, have you considered 4g wireless? Maybe try it out before committing to it fully though.

Increased latency on mobile wireless connections would not be good for gaming.