Maybe that attitude is why we're not seeing new faces.

Yea but you are an exception as you cannot help yourself.

Let's just say, you both can't help yourselves.

Now, any discussion on HTC One?

I'm keen to read.

Stop shitting up my thread bowiee I am sure you can find better things to do with your time Cyberglitche's first post was exactly what I would have dropped on you too so stop taking things personally and fuck off

As for the One only seven days until mine drops, been really surprising how many reviewers of the S4 have gone HTC One the better choice if you don't need the expandable storage and user replaceable battery - aluminum obviously a pretty big allure.

Apparently even with the 1/10 ifixit its only $50US to get the battery replaced.

$649 to make a phone call or send a text ! I am glad I have my $150 kogan phone lol. For that money I could upgrade my computer, I know which I would rather do. ;) You could even get an i5 based laptop, or a nice tablet for that money. :D

I am sure it is a fine phone, and maybe its just me, but spending that sort of money on a phone just seems like a waste.

You should see the stuff my Mrs spends her cash on. She spent that on some shoes and a handbag the other day, not even a quad core handbag either i may add

Better she spend it on that, than on a phone which she would most likely use to make a few calls and texts. By the way I note the snide remark about the quad core, and sinking to the level of .:Cyb3rGlitch:. just makes you look foolish. His pedantism is legendary, and something one should not strive for.

You could spend that money on a nice tablet.

But you could have that tablet in a smaller size so that you can take it anywhere without needing a backpack.

Different people have different needs. Sometimes they need an expensive phone.

Although you may not notice it, cheap phones are alot slower and less responsive.

*sigh* Where did I say some people may not have a use for an expensive phone ? I said I would not spend that sort of money on a phone, I said I would rather buy something else. The people who are so pedantic on this site is why any new blood that comes here drains away very quickly. A lot of people here would do well to just chill out, and stop being so anal retentive.

Snide remarks making me look foolish? mate it was clearly a joke. What sounds stupid is you having a crack at me for supposed "snide remarks" saying i look foolish etc. Then go on to say people need to chill out and its the reason people are not coming onto this site.

I'll tell ya something tho, Im new blood, only joined last year, I've also stopped posting in the "green room" for a while now because some people seem to find offence in everything, i come on here to talk about phones and make a clear joke about quad core handbags and cop the same treatment from the same type of wankers taking offence at everything and making the place uncomfortable. Get off your high horse mate, go read some knock knock jokes till you can spot the difference between a joke and a snide remark. (now that was a snide remark fyi)

meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Got mine two days ago, and I've made a few observations. Sense 5 has been extremely fluid, although some design decisions made by HTC are questionable, or just downright poor. For example, you can't remove the shortcuts from the main bar (such as the stock web browser), you can only drag to a homepage to make a second copy of the shortcut. Likewise, you cannot drag apps to the main bar, such as replacing the browser with Chrome, or Facebook, or switching to an alternative camera app, as the main bar disappears when you begin dragging an app. So in this respect, it's less customizable than an iPhone - think about that for a minute. Further, when creating a shortcut from the app drawer to the home screen, you have to hold down on the icon, and then drag it to the 'shortcut' option on the top left of the screen, and then place it. In my view, when you add extra steps to a process, it's not really a shortcut anymore, rather more of a procedure. The music app also forces you to scroll back through the list of artists or albums from the beginning every time you return to it instead of remembering where you were, and they decided to add a photo of every artist in your collection. This seems like a neat little idea, except most of the photos are from tabloid coverage of banal press events rather than the annals of popular culture. Frankly I don't care to see Elton John at whatever age he is now, shuffling down the carpet at someone else's premiere, I want to see him on stage back in the 70s, wearing ridiculous glasses and with doves flying out of a bloody piano. I'd also prefer to see square photos in a square picture frame, rather than rectangular photos. They've also gotten rid of cycle-able panels again, despite having only added this feature back into to the One XL a couple of months ago, whilst scrollable backgrounds are still absent.

*deep breath*

Other than this I'm loving it. It feels far more responsive and consistent than my One XL, perhaps something to do with the two extra cores and the extra RAM. I got the white/silver, which in my opinion is far better looking than the black version. It certainly pulls off the 'white body, black screen' look that a few others have tried and failed, mostly because the front is silver. The screen is beautiful too, and it helps that, complaints about artist photos aside, they've now bothered to source album covers of a suitable resolution. One of my pet peeves of the One XL was the album covers displayed were often so low resolution they were almost unrecognizable, on a phone touting the benefits of it's high resolution screen. From my brief experience with the new 'Ultrapixel' camera I'd have to say the shots I'm getting are far better in quality than what the previews on GSMArena showed, although admittedly there have been updates made by HTC to the camera both pre and post release. Sure, the resolution means that cropping and zooming are virtually out of the question, but I tend never to do this anyway. and am happy for the trade off to better tonality and dynamic range. Battery life has also been significantly improved - even on a fresh battery that hasn't been properly worn in yet, I've managed 1D 1H 27m with 17% remaining, with Wifi turned on, screen brightness on high, and frequent web browsing. The sound is excellent as always, although I haven't had much use for the front mounted speakers. So despite some room for improvement with the Sense interface, this is easily one of the best phones out there, righting several wrongs of the One XL, and standing toe to toe with both the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4.

Edited by Mademan

Also, just thought I'd point out that the OP states the One has a Lithium Ion battery, when it's actually Lithium Polymer, the same sort of battery technology used by Apple. HTC have been using this tech for the last few phones, hence the smaller than expected mah ratings of the batteries in the previous One phones.

I really like the look of this phone, it's something different to the other shapes going around. It's made me pretty keen to check one out in person, assuming a local telco shop has one on display.

The specs are nice, but that homescreen news feed and the weird button setup are not great.

That said, I don't think I'll need to upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus just yet. I never game and mainly use it for videos and web browsing.

You can all but disable the Blinkfeed and never have to look at it

And although people say the button layout becomes normal quickly there are already a bunch of hacks on xda to back the HTC logo the home button

And yeah its a li-po battery - for those wondering about charge times its like 2 hours to 90% then another 2 to 100% - they disabled quick charge so the battery lasts longer

Another micro review of the One coming up (I'm pretty much a smartphone nub having only had iPhones and one Blackberry for the last 4 odd years)...

Simply put, I have never been so impressed with a phone as much as this one (even more impressed than when the iPhone first officially came out here in Aus)! Battery life has been way better than I thought it would (got over one days use with moderate usage of the phone, texts, f/book app, web browsing and watching HD videos). Phone clarity is fantastic. It looks amazing. I'm really impressed with the ui. Feels good in the hand (which I didn't think possible due to the size) as well. And the screen is just sexy. I'm sure there will be a few little things I'll come across as I get more comfortable with an Android OS that I won't like, but I think the pros are going to continually out weigh the cons significantly.

$649 to make a phone call or send a text ! I am glad I have my $150 kogan phone lol. For that money I could upgrade my computer, I know which I would rather do. ;) You could even get an i5 based laptop, or a nice tablet for that money. :D

I am sure it is a fine phone, and maybe its just me, but spending that sort of money on a phone just seems like a waste.

I use my phone for much more than making phone calls or texting, I'm glad I purchased a decent smartphone. I purchased the HTC One X, wish I slapped a case on it though, it has a few chips in the frame. Distracting from its otherwise lovely appearance.

Though, if I had realised, I might have not got such an expensive and powerful phone, but a more basic one and then have a tablet handy. Oh well, I still use my phone a lot.

Does anyone know where you can purchase an unlocked on at this time? Everything I've found is still on preorder.

If not, anyone with any ideas on when they will be available?

eBay I would say.

If I can get a tax invoice that's where I'll be buying mine.

Looks like a nice phone, I saw one next to the galaxy s4 the other day in vodaphone, the screen looked better on the s4 but I think it was only because it had a colourful background where the htc had a black background.

Both nice phones tho.

The black background I have seen display ones with doesn't help - the more colourful ones really show off how natural yet vibrant the colours are

I mean the dark blue standard background, the more colourful ones look awesome and really natural

So I finally got my HTC One today, and it is everything I hoped for and more.

The build quality is awesome, it feels so very very solid in the hand, but not at all heavy, and the 4.7' screen making it slightly less wide than some 5' phones makes it comfortable to use with one hand (although lets be real here my hands are bigger than most).

Sense 5 is also excellent, really elegant and simple without any of the bloaty bullshit of previous Sense versions and my god it is fast, no lag anywhere, not even when opening the dialer or the camera

The blinkfeed is also really good in regards to mixing in social media with news, I didn't think I would use it but because the apps it links to load immediately it feels fast and seamless, meaning its actually a pleasure to use for quick bits of information.

I keep staring at the bloody thing its so gorgeous - ordering a clear thin case for use at work, I am not a tradey or anything but I want this shit to retain its good looks forever its just so pretty.

Took a couple of videos today, night time recording still has imprefect frame rates (I suppose every device does at night) but it handles high to low light really well which is important.

The microphone is out of this world too, seems like such a small thing but being able to record loud stuff without distortion or wind noises over powering everything is awesome. I have two 12' subs in the boot of my subbie and the sound is still clear in the daytime video, even if the volume wasn't cranked.

Overall it feels worth every cent, should you look for a new phone at the moment its $1000 off contract on Telecom and $1100 on Vodafone, you just need to hold it to get how epic it is.

Said videos

Dropbox links for those who want the unmolested footage

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzcls1gim4vxsq9/2...%2016.35.53.mp4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n474ywmlc2u4f5e/2...%2021.43.24.mp4

Edited by Greaver

Android 4.2 set for mid June release (probably late June/July for Australia, possibly December for Telstra :P). Really excited about this.

It's also been rumored that the vanilla ROM of Android 4.2 from the 'HTC One Google Edition' will itself be released for users to install if they so wish. Not sure if it'll be necessary though; quick settings in the notifications panel, the ability to undock and alter the icons from the home bar, and a raft of improvements to both the camera, and the accuracy of touch input, should fix most qualms with this otherwise excellent phone. Still, it'd be nice to be given the option, especially for those who jumped in before 'Google Editions' of phones existed.

I'm very keen to see what the performance of the camera is like with vanilla android installed. I'm wondering how much effect HTC have in terms of limiting loud sounds while recording video and how the camera processes low light photos.

While I'm happy enough with my nexus 4 camera, I miss the fact I could record concert footage without it sounding like a complete distorted mess. I've long suspected the OS has a lot to do with how this stuff turns out in that its not good enough just to have a decent camera, but i'd have thought the software needs to be written properly to control it well.

Edited by justo316

Good point - given HTC themselves have had difficulty getting the camera software right, with countless patches released both pre- and post launch, would a stock Google edition be using HTC or Google software?

I'm very keen to see what the performance of the camera is like with vanilla android installed. I'm wondering how much effect HTC have in terms of limiting loud sounds while recording video and how the camera processes low light photos.

While I'm happy enough with my nexus 4 camera, I miss the fact I could record concert footage without it sounding like a complete distorted mess. I've long suspected the OS has a lot to do with how this stuff turns out in that its not good enough just to have a decent camera, but i'd have thought the software needs to be written properly to control it well.

LG cut corners to make the device cheap. I don't think I've ever seen a well designed LG device.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Review of the HTC One Google Play Edition on Ars I read today...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/07/rev...of-both-worlds/

Got a pretty good wrap, but camera ability was down compared to regular One.

I'm still not sure how things function without the regular soft keys. A back and a home key but no key for app switching? I think I just don't understand something.