karlm

Battery Tech

Ok, so this per se isn't 'tech talk' but I am at a crossroads.

Like many of us, I don't do computers 100% any more and rely on other income. Namely labouring.

Anyway, I have two cordless drills, both of which the batteries are ... stuffed. (I have others, but for the sake of the discussion, I wish to resurrect these.)

I know some recent cordless drills actually were able to use li-on batteries, when they originally shipped with or used ni-mh or ni-cad ones. Is there an issue with using li-on with old chargers, and can ni-cad and ni-mh batteries be replaced with li-on ones (assuming the chargers cope)

I understand that this is a complex question, but chucking out $1000 worth of drills (which work great, albeit for only 20 minutes now...) seems a waste.

At the least, I'll just get some replacement ni-mh/ni-cad cells of ePrey and get them working that way, but my new stuff (li-on) is awesome, so hence the desire to possibly upgrade....

tia.

Coming at it from a novice perspective, I would think the question should be can ni-cad and ni-mh batteries be replaced with li-on ones that fit

In my experience with replacing the battery in my BOSCH cordless, it was about $50 more to buy the latest comparable drill with 2 batteries(still BOSCH) when compared to buying a replacement battery off eBay.

Of course these are consumer drills so this may not be relevant. While like you I would prefer to 'upgrade' rather than replace, sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

As to your real question of ni-cad and ni-mh versus li-on, I'd check with the manufacturer before forking out any cash...

Edited by Mac Dude

Is there an issue with using li-on with old chargers, and can ni-cad and ni-mh batteries be replaced with li-on ones (assuming the chargers cope)

Yes there is as Ni-cad (and I think ni-mh) use a constant current/variable method of charging and Li-on use a fixed voltage/variable current charging system similar to Lead Acid batteries. Do not use a Ni-cad charger on a Li-on battery and vice versa you will fuck them up.

you may be able to fix your old batteries if you can undo the battery case without breaking it as inside they are just small batteries all linked together so you could pull it apart and replace the batteries with the same type from ebay or somewhere similar and link them in the same way as original with some simple soldering (obviously they must be the same type and rating of original one's in the same config as original otherwise you will have a big problem). The main problem is getting it apart without totally stuffing the case up but some older makita and dewalt can be done without a great deal of trouble. Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies everyone.

aliali - yeah I know, and hence why I was curious. About two? years ago Dewalt came out with out with some LI-ON batteries that were compatible with some of their later model ni-xx tools. I'm guessing the chargers were newer intelligent types to cope with this.

I'll just go the route as ernie1 has suggested, which is what I originally had intended to do - the battery packs in this particular drill contain standard paper-wrapped cells soldered in series. Good thing is the specs are clearly printed on the cells, so they won't be too difficult to track down.

Price on the other hand may prevent me from doing it ...

the battery packs in this particular drill contain standard paper-wrapped cells soldered in series. Good thing is the specs are clearly printed on the cells, so they won't be too difficult to track down.

Price on the other hand may prevent me from doing it ...

Ah ye made up a few of my own packs in the past, especially for RC model planes.

Spec wise, if you can get higher mAh ones with the same casing size then go for it. So long as all the batteries in one pack have the same mAh rating then you will have no issues with charging, just remember that charging will take longer with the higher mAh rating.