Sign in to follow this  
bowlen

MacBook Pro Reset

I have an old 2009 MacBook Pro which is starting to run a bit like a dog. Ideally, I would like to re-install the OS but I know that is a bit different with Mountain Lion as you have to get a disk of a previous OS and then do the upgrades or something like that to get it back to the most up-to-date OS. I am wondering whether there is any other, easier way to reset it completely to a point where it was like I had just bought it...

On my 2012 model, there was a partition for restoring OS X Lion. I wonder if yours would have that too? If so, there should be an option to boot from this when you hold down alt (or whatever the key is)

Edited by nobody813

For Mountain Lion, it's pretty easy these days to make a bootable USB installer. You do need the Mountain Lion package which you can purchase from the App store.

Many tutorials out there for building one. The disadvantage of course is that you won't get your iLife suite back without re-purchasing.

I am not sure on the upgrade path from whatever version you are running now to Mountain Lion is, or if you have had the chance of registering your current version of iLife with your App store ID, but I would think that doing that should give you the ability to re-download them again.

Saying that of course, if you had the current version of iLife on your installation CD that came with your MacBook you should be right to just re-install from that and update.

The disadvantage of course is that you won't get your iLife suite back without re-purchasing.

All I had to do to get that back was to go to purchases in the App Store

That's true, but I believe it's so long as iLife has been previously tied to your iTunes/ App Store account.

I don't know the vintage of the OS that's on Bowlen's Mac. If he is still using what came with it I would be presuming Leopard in which case, no App store.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Edited by The Tick

That's true, but I believe it's so long as iLife has been previously tied to your iTunes/ App Store account.

I don't know the vintage of the OS that's on Bowlen's Mac. If he is still using what came with it I would be presuming Leopard in which case, no App store.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Ah okay, good point. I reckon you're right then in that case. Either way, I hope for bowlen's sake everything restores properly