bowlen

How often do you upgrade?

Computer Upgrades  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you upgrade your whole machine or only certain parts at a time?

• Whole Machine Upgrade
    • Certain parts at a time
  2. 2. How often do you upgrade?

• 0-6 months
    • 6-12 months
    • 1-2 years
    • 2-3 years
    • 3-4 years
    • 4-5 years
    • 5-6 years (you shouldn't be allowed to keep a computer this long)

I am curious to find out how often people actually upgrade their systems (hardware).

Do you do a full upgrade? Only a part upgrade when something new comes out? Have to have the latest gear?

Edited by bowlen

The last time I did a major rebuild/upgrade was early 2008, when I replaced my Pentium 4 system with an Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (EOL at the time), ECS 780G motherboard, HIS Radeon HD 4670 and 4GB of Patriot DDR2. However, I did keep the same case, HDD and DVD drives, PSU (stupidly), and case. Ever since then I've upgraded it bit by bit, which I think is thanks to how backwards compatible AMD systems were at that stage. I put down 6-12 months as that's generally when I'd buy a "new" part for it. Though, not everything in my system is new haha. The CPU, motherboard, GPU, a HDD, and probably something else are all 2nd hand kit, which were a few years old when I got them. Most of my PC's have never had up to date gear in them at all, as I tend to take advantage of old stock being cleared out or mates/Atomicans upgrading their PC's

As for now, I'm not sure if I'll upgrade anything in it at all, unless things fail. Phenom II + HD 5870 is an old combo, but it does everything I need well enough, and I'm not really gaming as much as I used too

Last time was in late 2012 when I replaced one 250GB & one 640GB hard drives with two Seagate Ooooooohhhh, barra barracuda One TB hard drives.

This 2008 vintage PC can still kick butt

Whole system every 5 years, mainly because there's no point upgrading most of the time. I might add storage or memory, but the main system stays intact until it no longer serves its purpose. The system I have now still runs perfectly fine (purchased 2009). In fact, it'll probably end up being the last desktop machine I buy, unless it suddenly dies. I use my desktop for getting work done, and anything since the Intel Nehalem chips is overkill for majority of tasks. For the stuff that requires raw power, there's a 64 CPU server at uni which does a better job than any consumer gear, and even that takes 20 minutes to compile the work I do.

IMO, desktop upgrades these days are mainly for e-peen and gaming.

certain parts at a time every 0-12 months i guess but went with 0-6 since i often change something in that time

main parts like cpu gpu i keep ~2 years although i often pick up a second gpu for cf\sli once they get cheaper

The PC that I have now, I bought/built near the end of 2011 and it is completely fine at the moment. I am getting 7.3 on that windows experience thing so I have no need to upgrade anything yet. I have since put a SSD in it and added more Hard Drives, but that is it. I think the next item I will be getting will be a Graphics Card but that will still be a while away (probably the end of the year).

Until I see my RAM usage or CPU usage constantly extremely high and notice performance issues, I won't feel a need to get anything newer. And especially with the new Intel CPU socket coming out soon, means I will have to get a new CPU and Motherboard at the same time, so I might as well just build a completely new machine at that stage.

new parts like GPU or SSD maybe every 18 months to 2 years.

complete rebuild every 3 years?

I have to say I'm around the 3 year mark now but the i7 870 is holding up pretty well. I might have a rebuild at the end of this year or early next depending on CPU developments, if not I'll just replace the GPU (currently a 5800, possible go to a 7970...)

new parts like GPU or SSD maybe every 18 months to 2 years.

complete rebuild every 3 years?

I have to say I'm around the 3 year mark now but the i7 870 is holding up pretty well. I might have a rebuild at the end of this year or early next depending on CPU developments, if not I'll just replace the GPU (currently a 5800, possible go to a 7970...)

Same for me, I did a GPU and SSD upgrade since my big system purchase 2 and a half years ago, next time a full system upgrade including a GPU. I'll wait an see how reviews are on Haswell systems. It'll need to beat my current CPU by 40% or I won't be interested.

I'll probably though get a small computer though instead of a giant case, 1 x SSD 2 x 4TB HDD. Who wants a giant loud case in their office/room?

I haven't done a full build in years. I've been upgrading bits and bobs over the years.

Lets see if I can remember exactly.

Started off with Asrock 775 Core 2 mobo, e4300, 2gb ddr2 and an x1950 pro.

After that I upgraded my motherboard to a Gigabyte P35 DS3P, Q6600 cpu and an 8800GT, but kept the same case and psu, drives etc.

Then after that I dropped in an e8600 and a 4870x2, shortly after that I bought an X48-DS4 board and then not long after swapped my e8600 for a Q9550.

Upgraded my 4870x2 to dual 5850s back in 2009. Kept that build til early 2010 then purchased an x58a-ud3r and an i7 930 along with 6gb of OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600mhz.

Eventually swapped my 5850s for a GTX480. Then 6 months later bought another GTX480. About 6 months after that (early 2011) I purchased my sandy upgrade, 2500k, P67 Sabretooth and 8gb of DDR3.

Somewhere in between the q9550 and now, I have had several watercooling loops, as well as several cases (Raven RV01, Lancool K62, HAF 932, HAF X and now a NZXT Phantom).

In november last year, I sold my GTX480s and my WCing loop to purchase a H80 and a 7950. Purchased a 2nd 7950 last month.

Current specs in sig.

So its been over half a decade since I did a full build, 2007 was the year I got the Core 2 duo and asrock board and since then I've been upgrading piece by piece only when I need to or want to.

I like to stay on top with GPUs, as long as I can run games at solid 60fps with maxed out settings, I'm happy, hence my GTX480s lasting me over 2 years, my current CPU lasting me over 2 years and my recent purchase of the 7950s (Probably only need 1, but theyre great GPUs and the 2nd is more for future proofing than anything).

WRT the poll, I answered 6-12 months for purchasing upgrades, but in reality, its never a time thing, simply a technology thing, as I pointed out, I have had my current CPU for 2 years and had my last GPUs for over 2 years. But then before that I upgraded several times in the space of 12 months.

Edited by NukeJockey

I used to upgrade every year but then things went stale when the q6600 came out.

I think as i am now 51 years old i get confused a lot with technology ,must old age creeping in. I know i need a new comp soon as my gtx260 is starting to show its age now.

As a person who used to love PC's and such i now find them daunting to understand.

I used to upgrade every year but then things went stale when the q6600 came out.

I think as i am now 51 years old i get confused a lot with technology ,must old age creeping in. I know i need a new comp soon as my gtx260 is starting to show its age now.

As a person who used to love PC's and such i now find them daunting to understand.

Being 51, I would assume you were into computing in the 80s? How is it that you're finding the technology daunting now, when its so much simpler than it was in the early days of home computing?! :P

If I exclude HDD's (why delete files when I can keep adding space, now at 5.8TB) its usually over 12 months between component upgrades.

Can't say I have built a fully new PC for myself since around 2006 and I doubt I will ever do a fully new build again, unless PCI-E and SATA disappears..

I can't really vote in the poll because it doesn't accurately accommodate my choices.

But, I do a major full upgrade once every 3-4 years on average.

Sometimes I upgrade it all minus GPU(s) while I wait for new ones to drop if they're coming out not long after I build the rest.

Sometimes I upgrade just the GPU(s) if my current are getting a bit too slow to keep new games pumping at a decent framerate but the rest is fine.

Being 51, I would assume you were into computing in the 80s? How is it that you're finding the technology daunting now, when its so much simpler than it was in the early days of home computing?! :P

Not really sure where to pin it down too. I used to have contacts in the field and i was always updated through them. My deafness is also a problem trying to understand what is being said. Things like SSD and new Boards are confusing to me ,as i have always been a HDD person with a floppy or DVD burner. Graphics Cards where basic not like today.

I think i built my first comp from bits and pieces from Magazine's ,used to make my own Printed Circuit Boards. It was like binary patterns and a Little LED array.

My first PC was a C-64 that really started me off ,used to like entering the codes for assembly language from Brit Mags. Then i had a Amiga and a 486 and then a Pentium build.

Today i feel to crowded by opinions and websites that work against each other like ATI vs Nvidia and then you have AMD vs INTEL ,followed by Windows vs Linux. I tried to get into linux what a pain, all those rebuilds upon rebuilds.

No, i must say its just as daunting today as it was back in the early 80's. Its just that we all tend to have our own views and ignore everything else in Technology.

Not very often i upgrade now. If you spend a decent amount on a decent system today it will last a few years. If you're into gaming then your GPU might need an upgrade but otherwise the rest of the system should hold up for most menial tasks.

Due to monetary restraints (I am broke) its been quite awhile since my last upgrade. I am still running a Phenom 9550 and 8 gig of ddr2, I did get a newer video card a couple of years back an AMD 6950. On the up side I am still playing the newer games like far cry 3 set to high without any problems. But I guess I will have to find the money for an upgrade soon as I think I am close to milking this old system for all she has to give.

i just change things whenever possible. my next planned impulse buys are copper ram heatshinks, more leds and cable sleeving

i just change things whenever possible. my next planned impulse buys are copper ram heatshinks, more leds and cable sleeving

He owns 2 PC's ...

He owns 2 PC's ...

oops, lol. i own 4 plus a DET laptop

What's a heatshink?

either you're joking or you should be banned from the forums.

Used to be every 2-3 years but since I built the Q6600 WC system I just don't feel the need. OK, I did put a GTX 570 and an ssd in but have no further plans until something dies.

My current PC was built in 2008, only thing I've upgraded on it is in the GPU, which I've done once. But that was done because the one in it died, otherwise I'd prob still be running the original GPU.

I'll probably buy a whole new system sometime this year if I have the $.