bowlen

How often do you upgrade?

Computer Upgrades  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you upgrade your whole machine or only certain parts at a time?

• Whole Machine Upgrade
    • Certain parts at a time
  2. 2. How often do you upgrade?

• 0-6 months
    • 6-12 months
    • 1-2 years
    • 2-3 years
    • 3-4 years
    • 4-5 years
    • 5-6 years (you shouldn't be allowed to keep a computer this long)

Very roughly, new system every 4 years with incremental upgrades (mostly storage) along the way.

Prior to my late-2012 upgrade I was running an AMD X2 4400+ based machine I built in 2008 (with storage, PSU and cooling upgrades/replacements along the way). The X2 now handles my Minecraft server, household media streaming (loving Serviio ATM) and downloading while my shiny new AMD A-10 system takes care of work and gaming, and I expect that in another four years it will take over server duties. Again I expect there might be cooling or possibly GPU upgrades, but I don't foresee a full upgrade being necessary for at least that four year period.

What's a heatshink?

either you're joking or you should be banned from the forums.

Check your spelling bro.

Copper heat shrink... He might have a really hot redhead psychiatrist....

I used to upgrade really frequently, as much as money allowed.

Now i upgrade almost never... funnily that being as much as money allows.

Used to be as I had enough money to buy new bits, more RAM, better graphics, then CPU, then Mobo which usually meant CPU+RAM as well. Then for a while I waited until the oldest machine packs it in which was about every 2 years or so, then buy myself a new performance CPU/RAM/GPU combo and whack it in my trusty Antec Sonata III case, and shuffle the bits down my wife's pc, hers down to the server, server down to the HTPC.

Although, the storage/VM server packed it in a few months ago, and we just didn't have the cash for a full new performance box, so It got an in place upgrade. Along with that, I had to replace the PSU in my main box, as the Antec one I had died over summer. So that's not really an upgrade, but a replacement for broken stuff.

There's no pattern any more, I think the next thing to do is upgrade the HTPC, I tried Ubuntu 12.10 on it, and it was slow and crap, running debian with xfce for now, but there are niggling issues, can't get it to stop tearing with 1080p videos :( And my desktop with its 4 core socket2011 i7, 16GB of RAM and a 7870 is packing enough punch for me at the moment. Hardly using it for games these days, too freaking wiped out at the end of the day!

I only really upgrade stuff when I need to.

I've had my current rig for about 5 years. However in that time I've:

• Added numerous HDDs as needed for storage
  • Added another 3 sticks of RAM to upgrade from 6GB to 12GB
  • Added a OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD for my OS and a couple of games
  • Upgraded my 4870X2 to a 7970
  • Added a 27" Dell monitor to my setup
As long as it can still play games like BF3 with (almost) all the fruit and bling turned on, then I'm happy.

I don't see the point in forking out more $$$ for a new CPU and MB when my current one is still going strong.

I always have a problem with, "What do I do with the left over parts from which I've upgraded? They're still working perfectly fine..."

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Edited by Electr0

I will generally upgrade things as I need it, or if the price is right/particularly good deal. An example of this is recently I got a brand new U2713H for $350, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't see this price.

I most frequently add storage to my machines, I've replaced most of my storage with a NAS now, so hopefully that lasts a while and then I will be adding further storage to that/expanding it.

I generally buy a decent CPU/motherboard/RAM when I do a build, with future proofing as much as possible in mind. My machine is getting close to 2 yrs old now, and still going strong, I used my Q6600 for over 4 years, but upgraded the graphics a few times. I expect I will do the same with this machine, I will add another 7970 and water block most likely, with the option to add a third if necessary. I don't see a CPU upgrade being worth while any time soon.

Basically this looks about right to me.

CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade - every 3/4 years

Video Cards - every 1.5/2 years

Storage - every 6 months? (ish)

I always have a problem with, "What do I do with the left over parts from which I've upgraded? They're still working perfectly fine..."

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This kind of stuff usually goes into my girlfriend/mum/friends machines, either for free or for a favour in future.

Else, it goes on OCAU.

Edited by p0is0n

I tend to get a new case whenever i get a new CPU/mobo, which used to be every 3 years, but it's now been ~4 and I still don't feel like my CPU is limiting me. If anything, my only gripe is 'only' 8 SATA headers on the motherboard.

Everything else is piecemeal: new monitor has been 3 years but it's also been 8; RAM I'll typically add to half way through the computer's lifecycle; GPU is 2-3 years, depending on what (if anything) I'm playing. HDDs I just buy as I run out of space, so it maybe averages 1-2 per year.

Anything getting replaced is swapped down to office PCs/parents, either component upgrades or total replacements.

I think as a general rule for upgrade, one shouldn't count HDDs as part of an upgrade. These things you're guaranteed to replace/upgrade/buy more of as you use more space...and we certainly aren't using less space.

Full system guts upgrade (often keep case, KVM etc) every 4-5 years depending on life, although some bits get kept, and the upgrade is sometimes a gradual change over a 3-4 month period, as I refine the new build (add memory, extra SSD or something)

I don't game, so development and photo editing is my main use of the machine. Video card is generally low-mid but the CPU, RAM and Storage is where the effort (and $s) is expended.

Current system is approx 1 year old.

i7-2600, 16GB DDR3, 4x2TB WD Caviar Black, ARECA RAID 5 card (from previous machine) + i520 SSD Boot drive and Kingston SSD Swap drive, 30" + 24" monitor.

That machine should last 4 more years.

I think as a general rule for upgrade, one shouldn't count HDDs as part of an upgrade. These things you're guaranteed to replace/upgrade/buy more of as you use more space...and we certainly aren't using less space.

Depends on whether it is a performance or storage addition.

I build a new storage array every 4-5 years, and at the same time change the boot drive configuration - Those i consider upgrade

I don't consider buying another 2TB USB3 drive an upgrade, that's just media.

I picked 0-6 months, as I'm bound to add something to the PC or buy a new mouse or something like that, well within that time frame. The current build I have replaced an AMD one almost exactly a year ago, I bought an i5 2500K and a GTX670. Since then I've added more RAM, a second 670, a new keyboard and mouse, a new Dell monitor and an SSD. In fact my new case also arrived today along with a H100i, so yeah, you could say I upgrade fairly regularly. But, I'm a whore for eye candy, if I can't run the games I play (BF3 for example) with everything cranked, it's time for an upgrade. Anything else, like the new case, is just because I can.

PC building/gaming is pretty much my only real hobby, so I can (in my mind anyway) justify the spending... at least for now.

My answer would have to be every two weeks. I mod things a lot and have a near limitless supply of old parts and things to mod.