Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

monitor calibrator

recently purchased a x-rite colormunki AUD 177.42 from amazon

it seemed like a real lemon with inconsistent results other than a nasty brownish tinge until i found this free software to replace what comes with the product which does a amazing job dispcalGUI

its much more advanced and although i dont understand most of it seems to have worked out

down side is it took about 30min to calibrate vs 5min if you can call being thorough a down side

i also noticed while calibrating the old 2405fpw that with a white display it was darker and rather brown down the center and the sides of the screen perhaps some of the dust storms we had over the years go to it

seems it is most evident furthest from the cfl in the back assuming there is two verticle not sure i should try taking it apart to clean it though

got it to calibrate responsibly well in the end by sitting the colormunki off center

anyway just thought id post this up for anyone else that may have one of these

Do you believe it the results are worth spending $177.42 on?

for gaming probably not but a lot of my family members are into photoshop

Thanks for this. Got the Spyder 3 for $100 off ebay, works alright, but I get a bit of a brownish cast on the screen as well, so not sure how well its working. Will give this a spin, since it works with Spyder 3 colourimeters...8-)

I have a noob question.

With these calibration tools, do you just plug it in, calibrate it, then unplug?

Or does it need to remain plugged in somehow (seems unlikely).

I got a U2713H recently, and to me, the reds seem a tiny bit oversaturated, but I may just be used to a bland cheap screen.

I may need to borrow one of these and give the calibration a go.

Edited by p0is0n

I have a noob question.

With these calibration tools, do you just plug it in, calibrate it, then unplug?

Or does it need to remain plugged in somehow (seems unlikely).

I got a U2713H recently, and to me, the reds seem a tiny bit oversaturated, but I may just be used to a bland cheap screen.

I may need to borrow one of these and give the calibration a go.

you're meant to run them 2 or 3 times a year IIRC.

i've never heard of x-rite, i wonder if we could have a comparison between it and the spyder

dispcalGUI is made to work with spyder hardware be sure to let us know how it goes for you

they can be calibrated then unplugged but monitors can drift a little over there life led lcd seem to do it less son that older monitors especially crt which is why rerunning it on a regular basis is recommended for photo editing use

x-rite and spyder are the two main calibrators available and reviews show them to be close in quality although for frequent use in pro environment the x-rite seems to be popular partially due to it being able to complete much quicker

Edited by Dasa