Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

Ubuntu 13.04

Ubuntu 13.04 comes out on the 25th (will probably be the 26th in Australia).

We need your help to get all bugs removed in time for release. If you can do anything to help, please go to http://webchat.freenode.net/#ubuntu-quality and ask myself or one of the other members for help joining. Any amount of time you can contribute is greatly appreciated.

The main change in 13.04, other than the obligatory updates to everything. Is that xubuntu is now 1gb max size and includes many more programs.

Really looking forward to this release I must say. I may ditch my 12.04 install, as I really do like the improvements they've made since 12.10, which I really didn't like. Will wait for AMD to release non-beta drivers supporting the 3.8 kernel however, despite the fact I'm using beta drivers currently :-P

what's your opinion on the rolling release plan? we are thinking, LTS(5 years support), monthly snapshot(1 month support), rolling daily build(support via new version).

what's your opinion on the rolling release plan? we are thinking, LTS(5 years support), monthly snapshot(1 month support), rolling daily build(support via new version).

Not really sure at the moment. Will give a proper reply once I've read up on the proposals

Is the rolling release plan like using Debian testing/unstable, just constant updates to a single repo, or some other kind of plan?

Is the rolling release plan like using Debian testing/unstable, just constant updates to a single repo, or some other kind of plan?

multiple repo's AFAIK, but no one really knows.

Installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my machine. While I do like many of the changes they have made, others pissed me off. Unfortunately I ended up breaking it trying to get back some of the functionality they've removed (namely to do with Nautilus), so when I end up install Linux again it'll be Ubuntu 12.04, or I'll try something else (Xubuntu 13.04 I guess, or Linux Mint)

Installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my machine. While I do like many of the changes they have made, others pissed me off. Unfortunately I ended up breaking it trying to get back some of the functionality they've removed (namely to do with Nautilus), so when I end up install Linux again it'll be Ubuntu 12.04, or I'll try something else (Xubuntu 13.04 I guess, or Linux Mint)

ok, i recommend Xubuntu, it's the one i helped make the most.

Isn't Ubuntu 13.04 getting released tonight (i guess middle of the night for Aussies)?

It's already available on a few mirrors, but yeah should be officially out by the morning

Isn't Ubuntu 13.04 getting released tonight (i guess middle of the night for Aussies)?

It's already available on a few mirrors, but yeah should be officially out by the morning

I got a copy from their FTP server, but was unsure if it was the latest Beta or the official release.

Anyhow it's available on their site now, it's official :).

Yes, we've released. everything but PPC worked well. kubuntu had some big last minute changes but they worked.

if you've installed a daily or beta it will update to 13.04 automatically.

I've been running Ubuntu 13.04 since release now and i havn't booted into Windows yet. Of course i'm only reading for exams, so most of my time is spent in Firefox, Skype and Thunderbird, but the user experience has been really good so far.

The Good:

-Nice and quick

-Nice user unterface (Fluid, good placement)

-Feels robust and solid

-Much easier to run my Linux servers from a Linux distro, saving me all the open Putty tabs in Windows :P, long live Guake.

-Very nice RDP software pre-installed, Remmina.

-Decent pre-installed software

-Interestingly enough i prefer Unity over Metro on Windows 8. i like Windows 8, but i never use Metro!

-Easy to setup in EFI mode alongside Windows 8

-Extremely fast boot time

The Bad

-Took me an hour to install my printer (Not an Ubuntu problem)

-Took me day to find the right info to stop Skype from crashing (Not an Ubuntu problem)

-Has crashed once forcing a reboot, not sure why, but it's been running well ever since

-Can't seem to enable full disk encrpytion with a manual partition setup. Can only encrypt home folder.

Edited by smakme7757