ROUBOS

Can my PSU handle these? Should I go for a lower GPU?

Hi all,

I want to upgrade my desktop and I do have the ASUS M4A77TD PRO mobo, and the Corsair X520W PSU.

Now I want to get 16G RAM (max for my mobo), an SSD, and a new Graphics Card.

Looking at these Graphics cards from scorptech:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/48230-hd7870-dc2-2gd5-v2 or http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/49120-sa-7870-2gd5-xt

and these RAM from scorptech:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/43314-cmz16gx3m4x1600c9

Now will my PSU run them? I also want to add an audigy sound card. Will have an SSD and a HDD drive. Might even get a new case with more fans.

My main concern is the Power Supply if its going to be good enough. IF not, what's my best option for a GPU?

thanks a lot Atomicans

Edited by ROUBOS

Hi Robus,

Try this out:

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/

Remember though, it's estimating.

I've put my system in the PSU finder and it came back with the PSU I actually have which is the Corsair HX650. RAM, SSD and an HDD won't take that much volts or watts. It's your CPU and GPU.

I've used this in the past as well:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I put some AMD based figures in:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T

ATI 7870

4x DDR3 modules

1x DVD reader / writer

1x HDD 7200 rpm

1x SSD

3x 120 mm regular fans

1x Sound Card

Came back with minimum PSU 333 and recommend 383. I reckon you'd be fine. Someone with more knowledge will problem correct me though. I can see that the Corsair PSU you have has split the 12 volt rail in three. So you have +12V1, +12V2 and +12V3 each putting out 18A for a total for 480 watts. The 7870 might need more than 18 amps.

Edited by Genders

psu should be fine with a 7970 if you wanted

out of the two gpu you listed the cheaper one is the faster one since its not really a 7870 but a cut down 7950 however the asus may be quieter

Thanks for your replies.

I will get the Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT Edition with Boost, 2GB - $259.00

About RAM, should I get 2x8 or 4x4 for a total of 16GB???

EDIT: Looks like I need 4x4. Mobo does not support 8g modules. So how about these:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/39733-cmz16gx3m4a1600c9

or these X2 : http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/39732-cmz8gx3m2a1600c8

Edited by ROUBOS

Either or; you won't notice a difference, but I would go for the two x two sticks.

Reason being, if one fails, you have to RMA all four back to the supplier, and you won't have any RAM left.

I just placed the order.

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB), PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3, Vengeance, 8-8-8-24, 1.5V, Dual Channel Kit (x2 to max 16GB)

Hard Drives - Solid State (SSD) - OCZ - VTR1-25SAT3-256G

Graphics Cards - PCI Express - Sapphire - SA-7870-2GD5-XT

thanks for your replies people. This should boost my system. Now I need a coolermaster midi-tower with some extra fans, and a new monitor. I need a monitor. LED 27" or bigger.

also want to get a new monitor.

Been reading about the war between 24" and 27" monitors.

Some people say that there is no need to go for a 27" at 1080p, and that at 1920x1080 resolutions the 24" is better with smaller pixels.

So I guess it would be better to go for a 27" only at higher resolutions.

which do you prefer for gaming? Doesn't 1920x1080 seem more a movie rez and not for gaming? But then again higher rez will stree the GPU and games will not run as good?

Well, all console games run at a max of 1080p since that is what the majority of TV's run at. So 1080p is fine for gaming.

Generally, if you sticking with 1080p then go for a quality 24" panel. The only reason to get a 27" in 1080p would be if it was also a 120hz monitor. Otherwise a 27" should have a higher resolution.

Well if I made the right choice it'll show when I pickup the monitor. I got the DELL U2412M 24'' ULTRASHARP. It is IPS, it does have a high resolution 1920x1200, it does have a lot of features, and for the price you get a lot out of it.

I like the stand, how I can spin it around if I need to show someone something. I do tend to use adobe products an it will give me nice colors. And I do play games.

I've been reading about response time and all that for FPS games, but at the end of the day, there are a lot of factors that could make or break a gaming session. Like net lag.

(anyway with the old crappy monitor I still kicked some %$# on Counter Strike and Call of Duty MW2 online).

I also play a lot of RPG games. Like Skyrim and Neverwinter.

The other thing too is that I went to a shop just to take a look at some screens. I look at so many that looked good on their websites, but physically and touching them, they felt so cheap and plastic.

So overall, considering an all round monitor I think it is a good choice. I would get a 27" monitor if it had a higher resolution. 1920x1080 is not right on a big screen like that. And when you do find it at a higher resolution it cost a lot more.

Anyway. I'll wait to see what it's like an I'll post here.

thanks people

:)

I've read some articles saying 1080p should stay on 24" monitors. The extra 3 inches stretches the image and apparently makes it pixelated, losing definition.

27" and above, that's 1920x1200 and above realms. I think that argument also makes statements about the ratios as well, 16:9 vs 16:10 and monitor sizes.

Though, really, if you're happy...it doesn't matter.

I'd like a newer monitor. A 24" 1080p. I'm still on my Samsung 226BW 22" @ 1680x1050.

Edited by Genders

Yes, I currently have an old LG 1680x1050 22". Connected via analog port.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure about the choice but I guess the more you read the more confusing it gets and harder to make up your mind. If I had the money I would have gone for a 27" at a higher resolution than 1080. They are just too expensive. (for my budget anyway).

I liked some monitors with very high resolutions, but then again you need to worry about performance in games, and dropping the resolution would mean that the game plays at a lower than the monitor's native res.