Sign in to follow this  
bowlen

XBMC pausing whilst streaming video

I have a media centre setup at home where all my shows etc are on my PC, which connects to a switch, and then to a Mac:mini in my room running xbmc which streams the shows from the PC.

I have had this setup for 3+ years and haven't had a problem with it, until yesterday. I had an issue where I had to do a system restore on my PC (something to do with Hyper-V fucking everything up), anyway that was sorted by a "restore pc to last known configuration" which actualy happened to be earlier that day as a restore point was created.

Anyway, since then, when I'm watching something on XBMC, it will randomly freeze for 20 odd seconds whilst in the middle of a tv show. It has never done it before and has only started doing it since this restore, but I am not sure what would have changed to cause this.

I have restarted both machines and there doesn't seem to be a problem there, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a buffering thing maybe, have you checked XBMC for transcoding settings or anything like that?

Sounds like a buffering thing maybe, have you checked XBMC for transcoding settings or anything like that?

Nah I haven't touched the mac at all. I wouldn't have thought the issue would be on the mac side, I would have thought it was in relation to the pc

So it actually looks like one of my hard drives (which holds the shows I am streaming) is actually rebooting itself. I can hear that the drive powers down for a few seconds, tries to start back up, powers down again, then starts back up again...would this actually be a problem with the drive itself? It is the only drive I have that is doing it and my power settings are set so that the drives never turn off.

It is a WD Green 3TB drive.